1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Eric Gordon Trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Jun 16, 2022.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Try it without Herb Williams

2. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Im not doing that if Im Houston, especially now that we have Jabari and Eason. I dont think the Knicks would do that either.

Corrosion likes this.
  3. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Barrett is not remotely worth two future firsts and Gordon. Should have been obvious.

AXG, TheJuice and CVcrew like this.
  5. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Especially when we JUST DRAFTED TWO FORWARDS

6. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I love EG for our young team but if that report was true about someone offering two firsts for Gordon and Stone passed, then that was a mistake.

Believe It! and D-rock like this.
  7. Landry's Tooth

Most rumors ive seen are Barrett, Toppin, 4 picks, 3 swaps...

I understand the optimism on Eason, but he's still a ways off offensively. To me he's a better version of Tate for now. His shooting needs to improve.

Barrett has shot 40% from 3 in the nba with volume. He's been inconsistent though. Knicks seem hesitant to pay him. Part of the calculus is fixing their Randle and Fournier mistakes. Gives them cap space to pair with Brunson and Mitchell in 2 years.

Barrett eats all cap flexibility if he's retained.

I don't think Mitchell is worth it but the knicks are the Knicks and desperate to make splashy moves...

8. Landry's Tooth

I'm not sure what you're thinking. Barrett is way better than likely 2 non lottery picks. You are talking about the backup to the backup unless Eason and Jabari are busts.

Those picks mean less for us than a potential max free agent which Barrett likely is with a decent season.

Your point on drafting forwads is irrelevant. One of them doesn't play the same position. The other one is a project on offense and likely a couple years from developing, if he does.

I guess it's not obvious to me because I'm not even sure Barrett is on the market let alone for that price.

Wood went for a late first. Barrett is worth a late and mid first at the very least...

9. Landry's Tooth

Poeltl is probably comparable to Gordon just as a big man.

Moving him to have one of the best backup 5s for a year is reasonable to me given our depth chart.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  10. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

If he was younger or we were contending, sure. But right now we dont need a Center who, as you say, is the big man equivalent of Eric Gordon.

11. Landry's Tooth

It's a lateral move that addresses a need.

He's better than anyone they could sign for mle...

12. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

at this stage, Id rather not make lateral moves especially for a backup. Yeah he may be better than an MLE signee, but we're not going to be competitive this year. We're simply too young and raw in an increasingly competitive conference

13. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I didn't watch any Knicks game lately - why is he so highly regarded? I just looked at his stats, he had 20 points on 17 shots per game and shot 46% efg and 35% from three. He also almost had a 1:1 TO to assist ratio and at least not eye popping defensive stats. The stats looks like a mediocre guy that has been given the reigns on a bad team.

AXG likes this.
  14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I would trade EG and two FRPs for Barrett in a heartbeat. I love Eason, but Barrett can be a stud.

linvetb6 likes this.
  15. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

He's a solid player but nothing crazy. But he plays in a big media market

16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Poeltl is like 26-27 iirc.

17. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

That's correct and I suppose his game would translate well as he ages.

If you think Poeltl can be our starting center long term, then do it. But don't trade Gordon to rent a backup center for a year like he's suggesting.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Poeltl could be a good backup to Sengun, in case we have lost faith in Garuba.

19. Landry's Tooth

Here's where I disagree... veteran talent can help develop your younger players. If you surround Green and Jabari with guys who can’t do the job its going to hurt their development. It could be having less spacing. It could be forcing Jabari on a bigger player where he could have a disadvantage defensively. It could be guys knowing how to run the offense and be where they are supposed to be.

Few teams develop young players and suddenly become contenders. Most teams who develop with success will have veterans mixed in. The Warriors had Bogut, Lee, Iguodala, and Ellis. They had guys like Nate Robinson, Richard Jefferson, Andris Biedrins, Jarrett Jack, Speights, etc.

We had Augustin and Gordon for these reasons... now it's Majanovic, Gordon, Burke, Nwaba, and Brown; most of whom are getting cut or traded...

The Astros rebuild template also followed that with McCann, Reddick, etc.

20. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

I agree you need to have vets around, but if that's the case you keep Gordon. He's already well known, loved, and respected. Why trade a veteran leader we know fits for one who guys don't know? That's where I'm not getting your point.

Now, if your deal included us getting a pick with that package or Poetel (I've been trying to avoid writing his name because I knew I'd misspell) then I'd do it.