1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Interview with Taylor Rooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BonziWellsGOAT, Jul 13, 2022.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Houston Rookie:
    Excited to play against Warriors
    Wants to guard Lebron, Steph

This is some big talk. I can see the media digging this up and creating endless clickbait with this this season.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We're so lucky to draft this guy. Very Duncan-like character.

Rockets were able to improve Green's handle significantly, hopefully they'll have that level of success developing Jabari's handle.

3. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Too late, it's the title of the video lol "Jabari wants to guard Lebron, Steph"

He does mention Lebron is his favorite player so Lebron won't take it personally. More of a compliment and he wasn't being frivolous with his confidence like Morant the other day.

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

None yet. Give the kid a chance. How many people set the bar that high for themselves in their rookie year? He does not seem like a guy who will follow ordinary progression. He watches film on his rest days, and if you look at his face he's not kissing his own a$$ he's totally serious lol.

peleincubus likes this.
  5. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

This is what I was thinking - a big difference to Jalen Green. When asked about his goals Green basically said every individual award and a max contract. Jabari is saying, he doesn't care about stats, he wants to contribute to winning.

I guess most superstars are a combination of the two. I just hope, that Smith doesn't take himself back too much in service of the team - he should aspire to be the first or second option on a championship team.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  6. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

He more like a sigma. Doesn’t need that much attention to fill his ego.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Yep, you are more correct than the link I sent. The link I sent is incorrect. I'm not sure how to state how incorrect I am but I'd say that you are correct, I am wrong. The link that I posted is false in all the information it includes and I guess that's it. @Dr of Dunk knows his history. Thank you for correcting me and the stupid link I sent. Seriously, my bad.

BamBam likes this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Spot on

There was Herb Jones talk last year, so NOLA reporters looked it up.

A rookie hasn’t made one of the NBA’s All-Defensive teams since Tim Duncan in 1998. The former San Antonio Spurs great is one of five first-year players to make the team, according to Basketball Reference. The other four on the list — Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Hakeem Olajuwon, Manute Bol and David Robinson — were all fellow big men.

https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans/article_002d62e0-6ffa-11ec-bc71-8b235fd0bce1.html

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It doesn't matter which you are. Fans generally prefer what their father wish they were, but the truth is whatever you are as long as you excel at it works out. Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan for example. Or do we want to forget Michael Jordan played with a gold chain around his neck? Or that he motivated himself by making things personal?

Also, frankly, I've never seen a more team oriented high-scoring guard than Jalen in my life.

#29 Mathloom, Jul 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    Hakeemtheking likes this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Still a great list...but Bill Simmons will now trash it with click baity douchiness. :D

don grahamleone likes this.