1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari off the dribble

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scarface281, Jun 23, 2022.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Thats because he's an average athlete. I mean as an athlete, his dad was was probably 3 times the athlete. Jabari is a 6.5 as an athlete. He's not explosive or fluid.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. leebigez

Where was Carmelo drafted? How about Tatum and Brown? Those guys were the same age and drafted 3rd. I mean Dunleavy Jr was drafted 3rd I believe and he was 6'10 and could dribble better than Smith.

3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

You are too obsessed with handles. there are countless undrafted players who have handles. this should tell you handles arent everything

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That would make his dad a 19.5 - your scale just blew up

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He is using the Richter scale. ;)

BonziWellsGOAT and SamFisher like this.
  6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I think we're overanalyzing his handle a little bit. He's 6'10"... his handles are already good enough to take the ball on the wing and drive inside decisively to score. He's not going to be bringing the ball up and I'm not concerned about it whatsoever.

I suspect he'll tighten his handle a bit over the years. I don't think this is an issue unless you're expecting him to be like a top 20 player of all time lol.

charlieaustin likes this.
  7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He can't possibly be an average athlete, he's touted as one of the best defensive players in the draft who can guard the perimeter well. 6'10 players that can guard the perimeter do not grow on trees, and the Rockets were clearly using him for that purpose too by parking him in the center.

Here is a clear example, Smith anchored the entire defense for this play by consistently cutting off every guard that he was switched on to. When was the last time the Rockets had a player this size that they actively used to guard the perimeter?

There is a lot more to athleticism than just being super fast or super explosive, mobility and agility is equally important.

BMoney and jiggyfly like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Top 20 player of all time?

How about a current top 20 player?

What does him being 6'10 matter there are plenty of guys that height that have good to great handles.

No, he does not have the handle to drive and score inside decisively, only on straight line drives and he will not get those much, especially against the better teams.

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He's a rookie, I think in a few years he'll def be able to be a top 20 player, you don't? I have Jaylen Brown top 25 and he can't dribble.

If there are plenty, how many guys 6'10" and up have good to great handles?

He has driven and scored inside decisively several times already, it's pretty ridiculous to make these statements about a 19 year old after 3 summer league games. Let's just see how he develops.

charlieaustin and Dobbizzle like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Being a rookie has little to do with anything most rookies that play his position have better handles.

Yes Jaylon Brown can dribble at least at an average NBA rate and Smith is nowhere near being able to dribble like him, Brown has a face-up game of the dribble, Smith does not have that.

You keep trying to make this about great handles it's about having even average handles, He has had several straight lines drives nobody has claimed he can't dribble at all.

Once he dribbles over 3 times it looks uncomfortable.

19 years old has jack **** to do with both Holmgren and Banchero have far greater handles and are even taller and they are about the same age, so that's 2 examples from the same draft.

This is not the 2000's NBA being 6'10 is no excuse, the way the game has evolved.

leebigez likes this.
  11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised you feel that way after watching Jaylen Brown play in these playoffs. He's clearly a 1-2 dribble guy and got into trouble anytime he tried to do more.

You said "good to great" handles in your first post. In the NBA the only guys 6'10" and up that qualify is KD and AD. If you're lowering the bar to "average" handles, we simply do not have enough evidence at the professional level to declare Smith as not being in that category.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's because I watch Browns game from the entire year and he is not clearly a 1 or 2 dribble guy he mas a much more advanced dribble game.

There are far more 6'10 guys that have good to great handles I just told you 2 that got picked this very draft before Smith.

I did not lower **** and it does not matter because smith does not even have average NBA handles.

It does not matter if we have evidence at the professional level he has not shown it in college or High School, and he has shown nothing better in SL.

Do you think he is just saving it?

Smith is not in that category point blank I'm sorry if that is too painful for you to hear.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Why are you cursing lol? It's not that serious, I'm not sure why you're upset lol.

If you want to name all the "far more" 6'10" and up guys with "good to great" handles in the NBA go for it but this is a waste of time.

I think Smith can and will get better at his handle as he grows as a player, crazy concept I know.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I'm cursing because I feel like cursing its how I express myself sometimes.

Just because somebody curses does not mean i'm upset, I just get annoyed when people like you that don't really know **** try and come at me.

I just named 2 people at 6'10 who got drafted in this very draft who have above-average handles and you keep ignoring that why?

I don't need to list anything to make my point the last draft did that.

It's very telling that you keep ignoring the examples I mentioned yeah it is a waste of time because you can't actually debate the topic when your argument is destroyed by the latest draft.

Banchero 6'10 19 years old advanced handle

Holmgren 7' 20 years old advanced handle.

So you want to tell us again that 6'10 bigs don't have handles?

15. leebigez

He can move his feet, but that doesn't mean he's athletic. JJ Reddick could move his feet, nobody would say he was athletic. James Harden doesn't look explosive, but his handle and footwork is special. Not only that, we've seen Harden get to the rim and dunk on people head. Did you see any of that in college or summer league?

16. leebigez

Rookie Robert Horry handles the ball better than Jabari and he was a center in college

17. leebigez

Your handle help you create space and a shot. I'm not talking and1 mix tape, I'm talking about being able to attack angles with your dribble. You know why Chris Mullin was able to avg 26ppg despite being slow as molasses? His handle. You know why Ray Allen was a much better offensive player than Reggie Miller? His handle. It makes a huge difference in your offensive game. Now if the coach is going to run a Warriors type of offense and he's going to be running off pin downs and and alot of motions in sets, then I would say his handle isn't as important

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

im glad i read the next comment first. cuase i waz going to saay

Easy likes this.
  19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

[​IMG]

jiggyfly and mikenm268 like this.
  20. Landry's Tooth

Well, Holmgren weighs as much as a 7th grader and Banchero (as of now) isn't a good shooter or defender.

So no one is perfect...