1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brittney Griner in jail…….in Russia!

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Newlin, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Landry's Tooth

I believe Lebron wasn’t educated on the situation at hand and he spoke.

She broke the laws of a sovereign country. Who are you to impose your values on another culture?

Best situation is BG not fight it, ask for leniency, and offer to never return to the country again.

The state department shouldn't be meddling in the local laws of other countries. Offer her support through the process but what gives her a free pass?

So a Russian does the same thing and they got to jail while BG thinks she should go home..

Talk about privilege mentality...

2. Landry's Tooth

100 days in jail when she's looking at years?

I believe he wasn’t educated on the situation at hand. She attempted to transport drugs across an international port of entry. That's incredibly dumb to do.

Sometimes you have to take the punishment so you learn. Most people know not to do that.

3. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Yeah Lebron's comment made complete sense to me (I don't say that often). He clearly meant she could go to say Canada, UK, Australia, Germany, etc....which, under the circumstances, I could sympathize.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah Lebron has increasingly said dumb stuff trying to cater to the "woke" crowd but this is not that crazy.

5. Landry's Tooth

Yes, go to countries who can imprison her for her speech.. much better...

6. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Idk about speech, I’m not aware of those countries being rigid on free speech. But she is far less likely to be arrested for having a vape pen. The point is, I can sympathize with her being jaded by the US’ perceived lack of concern for her situation. Thus, even if Lebron may be ultimately wrong about US actions, the criticism is valid.

7. Landry's Tooth

I get the emotional rush to judgment but those countries do have speech codes that can get you in jail. That's far more restrictive than transporting drugs internationally which im sure they also have laws against.

Those countries named also rely on the usa for their national defense so its not likely they would have better luck in their respective state departments.

This isn't like she was falsely imprisoned or framed for a crime. She admits to doing it. She just thinks it's no big deal. Her opinion as a visitor to that culture is irrelevant.

If she traveled to Saudi Arabia and tried to drive a car; she can't complain about being arrested when any rational person going there knows what would happen in that situation.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  8. Landry's Tooth

As an example in Canada a father has been charged for comments he made about his daughter... he's out on bail looking at years in prison...

https://nypost.com/2021/03/18/man-a...medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

9. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey LeBron, here's some good advice.

10. Nook

Nook Member

If he thinks those places are so much better, why doesn't move there? He clearly has the means to do so, yet he has decided to live in Los Angeles.

If he wants to be critical of the US for not getting her out, so be it....... but it is very unlikely that Canada or Australia or any of those nations would have brought her home yet either.

He was frustrated and said something dumb and apologized for it.....

Invisible Fan and King1 like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think that he cares, she has vape pens on her and he doesn't think she should be in a Russian prison during a proxy war with Russia.

We are the United States, we do it all the time.

Yeah.... because that will work.

Why not? Countries all the time do it.

Correct, because she isn't a Russian citizen and most Americans and people in the West really don't have any confidence in the Russian judicial system.

She is an American, a fairly wealthy and famous celebrity that grew up the most West of all places, the USA. Of course she was raised to believe that she can and should be helped.

There are also limitations to the idea "well you are in a foreign country", as some laws are quite draconian and I have no doubt they are keeping her in part, in not entirely because of the Ukrainian invasion and the USA's support of the Ukrainians.

12. Landry's Tooth

They were already keeping Americans before the invasion for weaker charges.

Again, drugs across international ports of entry... if they get Johnny Cash then they will get BG...

It stinks, but if you're that concerned about the Russian legal system then why go there?

A proxy war legally has nothing to do with it. They didnt plant the drugs on her. She pit herself in the situation and the Russians are taking advantage of a situation that she put herself in because they can.

That being said we have people in jail without bail for a year and a half for trespassing on public property so it seems like we're not clean either...

Ask yourself if BG was a nobody Russian citizen if they would have let her go free by now... that's what you're claiming when you say the war is the reason she is still there...

Two things can be true... she can be there because the legal process is slow and because Russia has no incentive to rush the process...

13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lebron is a dipshit. I don't even think he cares here. He's just trying to score points and put his foot in his mouth like always

Nook and JumpMan like this.
  14. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

It's unfortunate somebody as dumb as Lebron James has as big an influence on kids in America as he does. That's all I'll say on the matter.

15. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

He's made an exceptional living and reached the peak of fame in the US. In fact, if Lebron or Tom Brady had a tiny bit of weed I have a feeling the situation would've been resolved more hastily. I think BG expected a comparable "call to action". Now, maybe the Biden administration was working tirelessly to help her out legally, I'm not sure of the inner workings (which is where Lebron might be factually wrong). But I remember personally being surprised that her detainment in Russia wasn't receiving as much coverage as I'd anticipated.

Nook likes this.
  16. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

That's a valid point and under normal circumstances I would agree that you should rely on your own means if you get arrested for breaking another country's laws. However, in this instance there is a huge humanitarian concern. Russia has shown itself as an imminent, volatile threat. Any American's detainment in Russia right now for a petty crime is far more alarming than it would've been a year ago.

17. Landry's Tooth

Well, she's in line behind someone else right now.

I'm not sure what is petty about transporting drugs over borders. Maybe is was a small amount?

The state department should be aiding in her legal case and facilitating communications home. She's not worth giving up a terrorist for.

Hopefully she can get a few months of time served and be banned from re-entry... we'll see what sentence she gets...

18. Landry's Tooth

I doubt Brady is dumb enough to cross a border with weed on him.

Lebron is rumored to have a first grade reading level and is full of himself... i could see him try thinking its not a big deal.. he's had @$$ kisser around him most of his life. His version of reality is skewed...

19. Nook

Nook Member

I agree that it hasn’t been as big a deal as I expected it to be and I also thought the NBA would be more vocal. Some of it is that she is a woman.

I think she would be home already if it wasn’t for the Ukrainian war.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Get the **** out of here with LeBron James having a 1st grade reading level.

Jayzers_100 likes this.