1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons Trade Value Rankings (Green and Jabari behind Chet, Banchero, Cade, Barnes, Mobley)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Jul 12, 2022.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I don't recall what Simmons' peak credibility is, but he has secured 'shock jock' status now. That doesn't jive with 'analysis'.

Trae Young, Scottie Barnes and Cade Cunningham are in a category called "True Franchise Guys". OK.

Evan Mobley is now in the same tier as Joel Embiid. OK.

2. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately he is not the only person who has jumped the gun on Barnes, Cunningham, and Mobley. Sure they all show a lot of promise but they still have many more leaps to go, just like Jalen Green. And it is much harder to from good to all-star, harder to jump to all-pro, and even harder to jump to MVP contender.

3. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This isn’t a player ranking list. Obviously both are still top 64. Also not sure how you missed it but Lebron is on the list.

4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Voted Herb Jones over Jalen green, yet his trade value is inferior to Green? This man is just a hater tbh.

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Rather wait for the NBA 2K23 player ratings

6. blackistan

blackistan Member

Why is anything from this dude posted on here anyway dude is a Houston hater

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Well we already know that Simmons is a heavy drinker. He was probably drunk writing this.
    Everyone will soon see that we have pretty much drafted Scottie Barnes twice in this draft. Both Bari and Tari will be in the running for ROY.

8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Once again he shows his idiocy

cheke64 likes this.
  9. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Don’t even buy anything this guy is selling. He is a walking click bait. He’s like a max Kellerman’s red headed step brother.

jiggyfly and fattz like this.
  10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

When I listened to this podcast the other day I knew it would not go over well around here

harold bingo likes this.
  11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Paul George - he is no longer a franchise guy, the clippers can trade him in a heartbeat if the offer is right or if they will decide to go different direction.

Anthony Davis - same as above

20. Jrue Holiday
    19. Jaylen Brown
    seriously? this must be a joke. OK I got Simons is a Celtics fan but this is completely laugable.

WTF would think those 2 guys will be more untradable comparing to this group below?

Group H: “Sorry, He’s Worth More to Us Than to You”
    39. Chris Paul
    38. Damian Lillard
    37. Khris Middleton
    36. Jamal Murray
    35. LeBron James
    34. Donovan Mitchell

12. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Who is this Bile Simone you speak of ? Never heard of him, I prefer Simone Biles myself...

13. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

It's really funny that Harden was traded for an All-Star and two first round picks literally five months ago, but he apparently has less trade value than mildly impressive second-round pick Herb Jones.

Pelicans management would be stuffing a duct-taped Herb Jones into the trunk of a hearse right now if it would get them Harden.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

One thing I like about Bill Simmons is he gives me a good view of what the casual fans of his demographic think. There's no real deep analysis, he just thinks what he thinks. And, those thoughts are usually heavily skewed to the teams he likes watching as opposed to anything measurable.

mario_v likes this.
  15. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Barnes is good all around but lack shooting. He isn’t superstar material. His trade value shouldn’t be this high

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

At the beginning of the podcast Simmons said there were 3 players disqualified from being on the list: Ben Simmons, Kyrie and Harden.

They went on to say like they dont fully trust Harden's contract paycut and believe like he is taking a cut this year and will get even more back in a future deal so they didnt want to put him on there. They said he wasnt the same sort of distraction Kyrie and Ben are but still cant bring him up because they feel he is damaged goods at this point.

joshuaao and harold bingo like this.
  17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Herb Jones was higher and Rusillo knocked him down to 55. Simmons has a total hard on for Herb Jones (and he admits it)

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's a dumb list because it has Draymond at 64.

Yes, he's not the best player on this list, that much is very clear, but the Warriors are not trading Green or entertaining ideas about trading him.

Truth is, players value is what the team decides it to be. Nothing is stopping the Rockets for trading Green for a bag of chips if they really felt that was his value or they could value him so much that they wouldn't trade him for Doncic.

It's all in how the team views the player, if the Rockets think Green is future multi-MVP then they wouldn't trade him for anything.

19. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Jrue is too high but I wouldn't trade Jaylen for any of those 6 straight up. Other than being a high-level playmaker/creator, he's about everything you'd want in a 25 year old: excellent 3-level scorer, great defender, athletic, competitive, battle-tested/big-game player, and is on a very team-friendly contract. Simmons might be a homer, but I don't disagree with Brown's ranking much. If anything, I'd say Ingram being ranked at #21 is more egregious. He's from the same class as Brown and an All-Star as well, but far less battle-tested and far less of a 2-way player.

My biggest gripes with the list come from his made up "Groups," which force certain guys over others for the sake of organization (CP3 at #39? He might be high on a most-valuable-to-his-team list, but at 37 with a lot of other question marks, he doesn't deserve to be nearly this high in terms of trade value in a vacuum).

Other gripes:
    - De'Aaron Fox unranked? I know he's been stuck on a bad Kings team, but he's a 25/7 PG at 24 years old. I think with some stability this year, he'll finally get some respect.
    - Herb Jones at #55? I like Jones and a 2nd year swiss-army knife guy like him is indeed valuable, but this is pushing it. He's also almost 24, so it's not like he has a ton of untapped upside.
    - The Rookies are too hard to rank to throw on here right now. I'd leave them off or at least wait til they've stepped on an NBA court.
    - AD at #12 is too high. He's missed more than half of the year two years in a row, and hasn't looked like his best self when he has played.

But at the end of the day, I like when writers make lists like this, because it sparks conversation. And these days, most of the people angered by lists like this couldn't put together a reasonable list themselves (taking into account age/upside, salaries, analytics, statistical context).

DreamQuake and harold bingo like this.
  20. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Ah ok. Thanks. Still doesn't make sense though. It's supposed to be a trade value ranking. He's saying Harden's trade value is less than the likes of Marcus Start? That's ridiculous.