1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[2022 NBA Draft/1-29] TyTy Washington Jr., PG, Kentucky

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of TyTy Washington?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

94.8%
  2. NO

5.2%
  1. csc177

csc177 Member

I thinks that’s debatable honestly. Nix is more clearly comfortable having played in the system last year, but better player? I’m leaning towards TyTy. It’s about time we had some real competition to battle it out for a spot.

Nix v Tyty
    Eason vs Tate

2. JD88

JD88 Member

TyTy didn't turn it over in college either, though.

Drift Monkey and i3artow i3aller like this.
  3. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

No he’s not

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I see what you mean, and in the summer league, the little things are there. Someone made a Chris Paul analogy — and while he’s not that level of talent, the fake out charge and bench distraction of the opposing team feel ripped from the Chris Paul playbook.

I’ll be curious how they try and develop TyTy — he does feel very groomable as a classic backup point who can re-establish pace and control. G-League for a guy like him may put him in more situations that aren’t necessarily the focus of his long term NBA role.

All 3 of this year’s picks feel like really strong “culture’ picks. Not that last year’s rookies aren’t about winning, but the vibe with these guys does seem different.

5. i3artow i3aller

6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I like this kid a lot I think he is gonna end up a very good guard in this league.

Drift Monkey, slothy420, Easy and 2 others like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Are you kidding? Based upon what we have seen in summer league.

It's really not, that is just a narrative that folks glom onto but without any facts. For the most part, I like great players and have been right more often than not, but occassionally I like the underdogs and that is where that narrative starts.

TyTy is an interesting project but he went 29th for a reason, and he is not exactly lighting up the summer league. I do like him though, but I think Nix is a little further ahead.

Nix is doing much better if it were a contest Nix would have already won....

https://www.nba.com/summer-league/2022/vegas/player-stats

Nix: 25.5mpg 12.7ppg 50%FG 50% 3pt% 5.3apg
    TyTy: 24.3mpg 8ppg 38.5%FG 22% 3pt% 3apg

I don't LOVE either of them, but for right now Nix is the more NBA ready and I suspect Ty Ty will be in the Gleague for most of the season.

DD

#287 DaDakota, Jul 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    BigShasta and cmlmel77 like this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Tyty is easily going to beat out Nix who is at his ceiling till he loses weight. That's not just about the weight, but also about the mental maturity of him being able to personally take care of obstacles in his way that are 100% in his control. We have 2 months till the season starts and that's plenty of time for a player of Nix's age to improve their fitness.

Meanwhile, Tyty is going to make KPJ's life difficult. It's a real threat to his extension, so he better not regress on defense.

I see a bit of Tyrese Maxey in Tyty's game, perhaps a little less scoring and a little more of a floor general. I know he played off ball a lot in college, but his ass/to ratio of 4:1.6 is really promising for a guard who brings value off the ball defensively and offensively. Good size, willing rebounder, promising floater game.

9. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Yes great Analysis! As you can see DD don’t know shiiii! TyTy is way better than Nix

Drift Monkey and Mathloom like this.
  10. Rokman

Rokman Member

You know, something came to me. If this guy can

- Hit the 3 at 38%+
    - Avg about 7 or more Ast per game
    - Avg about 15+ points per game
    - Keep his Ast-TO ratio high
    - Have a true shooting percentage at 60%+
    - Be a vocal leader on the court
    - Play lock down defense on the opposing guards
    - More? Yeah, and more.

I think we might have found out starting point guard. Pretty incredible, huh? That all literally just came to me. I know, mind-blown here too!

BamBam likes this.
  11. PeppermintCandy

I don't feel we have seen what Washington is really capable of. According to reports, he's still recovering from a pretty bad leg injury earlier this year.

Right now, he doesn't seem slow, but he hasn't shown any surprising bursts of speed or mobility. But he's got some good go-to moves and seems to have point-guard instincts.

But for now, he seems to be a few seasons away from being ready to me. Plus, he'll have to learn the point guard position, which can take some time.

Drift Monkey and Plowman like this.
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One thing I love about Tyty is that he is a voice of reason on the court. He talks, talks, talks, and never stops praising his teammates. He has a very Steve Nash-ish vibe on the court. Uplifter that makes players around him comfortable to be playing basketball.

Nix has some interesting tools, but he is essentially mute on the court. This is going to be a healthy competition that hopefully brings the best out of both players, and even KPJ.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Tyty performed as well as you would expect for a late 1st rounder who has to give up shots and opportunities for the other priority players (Nix, Smith, Eason, Christopher).

He has shown a lot of flashes but he hasn't had the opportunity to show whether those flashes are sustainable. However, he also didn't make a lot of noticeable mistakes on the court, especially on defense.

With that being said, whilst Nix has put up bigger numbers in games, he's also certainly had much more noticeable disappointments, especially in the 1st SL game.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree that TyTy will probably be in the g-league most of the year. Nix’s defense looks legit to me and his 3 pter looks better than last year. If he can continue to improve in pre-season he will earn some minutes after Gordon is gone. If Gordon isn’t traded and healthy he won’t see much time until the latter part of the year. If he can’t shoot a free throw he can’t play and he needs to be able to finish better. I think TyTy will overtake him the next year unless he figures those 2 things out.

DaDakota likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

One ahead of where KPJ went.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

KPJ had issues in college, he was known as a lottery talent.

DD

17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I like giving you a hard time because you're so outspoken but I do respect that you stick to your guns. It's fair to like underdogs but you have to admit that you seriously overrate a lot of players.

18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Michael Beasley has 100x the talent KPJ has and look where he is now. When you don't have it upstairs and have a shitty attitude people eventually get sick of it. Give me a Shane Battier every time over these two

Drift Monkey and TheJuice like this.
  19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

TyTy's likely going to make a lot of GM's sorry. He might not be the fastest or strongest, but he's a hooper with the highest pedigree.. (a lottery pick without the injuries) If he can stay healthy, TyTy should eventually start in the show. (whether it's here or someplace else) The kid's just a damn good basketball player whose ability to see the floor and execute are top notch. I couldn't believe he fell that far. And, Stone picking up the seconds, while moving back to snag him. Wow.

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Also important to say, it's not a reflection on them as people. In fact they tend to be the kindest guys in the world. You just shouldn't hire them for anything that requires consistent methodical work. Many people like them "get it" in their 30's. That's fine for life, it's just not fine for making $100m+ career earnings in the NBA.