1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where do you think Kevin Porter Jr. will be for the 2023-24 season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 1, 2021.

?

Where do you think Kevin Porter Jr. will be for the 2023-24 season?

1. Starting point guard for the Houston Rockets

2. Starting two-guard or wing for the Houston Rockets

3. Coming off the bench for the Houston Rockets

4. On another team

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I couldn't disagree more with your assessment. KPJ's second season had only 23 games, it wasn't a full season of development. Last season was not a disaster. Like Green, it was a tale of two halves. The first 31 games KPJ averaged 13.1p/4.2r/5.9a/3.6to on 38/34/63 splits. The last 31 games he averaged 18.1p/4.6r/6.4a/2.7to on 44.4/40/65 splits. He cut down on turnovers and dramatically increased his efficiency. I don't even think his defense is poor. I doubt his role will be heavily adjusted next season because that talent is not easily replaceable.

Perhaps the frustration with his early struggles is what you remember or you didn't watch the later games of the season. Most of our players performed miserably to start last season. We had zero shooters. If KPJ doesn't become more consistent next season then maybe we can focus more on Nix or Tyty or try and draft another guard with our highest pick. But calling him a failure at PG now with the flashes he's shown is extremely premature.

FLAGRANT1 likes this.
  2. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

KPJ is not a point guard by any stretch of the imagination, he is not good at passing cannot create offense, he’s a 2 guard but we have a better one Jalen green therefore I think he should be the sixth man scorer, if he doesn’t accept that role he needs to be moved, therefore I expect he will be the starting point guard this upcoming year so that we can increase his value to trade him and/or sign and trade him. The true point guard is TyTy, I think he will unlock Jalen and Jabari. Of course we still need more talent.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well the Rockets org thinks he is a starting PG, so glad they are in charge...and not you.

DD

4. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I do not think he is a STAR a player, STAR players has elite talents. Green has elite speed and agility, Smith has elite shooting and defensive skills being 6’10. I’m still confused with Sengun because he has elite passing skills and post up skills but can he score 16 points and 10 rebounds a game…..can he develop a outside shot. Porter does not have any elite skills, he is a average to above average shooter, nice handles and passing sometimes but he does produce a lot of turnovers as well. I think he can score 20 points a game but he is not a Star player. I say Rockets have two STARS and a half…..I’m worried about Sengun’s outside shooting and sometimes he plays timid with athletic interior defenders.

5. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Yes the rockets goal was to win as many games as possible that’s why we didn’t bench him like Wood down the stretch last season and also why we extended our great young long term PG…

now if he actually learns to pass and play make this year and if TyTy sucks, both of which are unlikely they may continue the kpj experiment, nothing to lose since we are tanking once again.

6. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Even though I couldn't agree more with anything you wrote beyond this, I have to say and ask:

a) the question was 23-24. I do belieave the team will give him another try at least until all-star break as one last shot
    b) what do you see as he did to earn it? My point of view is that the team will try him one more time as this year's draft wasn't about PGs. But if KPJ fails to deliver a good performance/chemistry, the Rockets will have cleared at least 40M cap space to find one.

palmsnbananas likes this.
  7. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

That's what I have been saying for an year.
    But watch out, some people here will tell you know nothing about basketball and present "FACTS" such as assists per game to "proof" KPJ is a PG.

Fortunately I am not rancorous and I don't even remember the guy's nickname :D

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The lack of extension isn’t because of basketball reasons. He doesn’t need to be a borderline all star he needs to keep his head in the game and continue to show improvement. That’s how he earns his next contract.

9. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Right, it’s a moot point really as there was a report recently that every other GM in the NBA doesn’t think KPJ is a starting point guard, i’m sure the rockets think that as well but you can’t say that about your own player obviously

hajkov likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I just don't see KPJ as a point guard. I thought that starting him as the 3, if we were to retain him, to be a better option, or to use him as a wing off the bench. The problem is that I think we drafted our 3 when Stone's luck continued and Tari Eason fell to us. Before I saw him play in the Summer League (yes, it's the SL, but I'm really impressed!), I thought he might be a 4/3. Now I'm seeing him as a 3/4 and Smith as a 4/5. Not a full time 5, but able to play there in stretches, depending on matchups. Mainly our 4. Very interested in seeing how both play with Sengun.

As for our point guard, it's incredibly early, but I really like what I'm seeing from TyTy. Long term, he might end up being the answer there. Nix seems to be coming around as well. I can see there being a good competition between them for the spot, and they seem like the kind of guys that would compete with a good attitude. Trevor Hudgins came out of left field, didn't he? Fun to watch.

Of course, we might draft the answer next summer, along with a backup center, or Stone might pick up one in a deal at some point (no pun intended). So where does that leave KPJ? I think it leaves him coming off the bench. Could he handle that? I'm a bit skeptical, which sums up a lot of why I have problems with him. I just don't have a great deal of trust in the guy.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That would be pretty stupid of them if true....but it's obviously not.

KPJ would be an upgrade to more than half of the teams in the league at starting PG.

I get that there are some short sighted fans that can't understand the concept of a combo guard, but that's about it.

12. 34to11

34to11 Member

Sorry but that's no minor "if".

The guy has been problematic at EVERY stop since high school and perhaps most telling is after claiming the Rockets "saved" him he still pulled an unprecedented stunt here.
    Dude LITERALLY hopped in his car and peeled off on the team at halftime. It's weird how some of you want to minimize how crazy that behavior is.

Hope springs eternal I guess but this "talented but troubled" quandary with KPJ, I fear we've all seen this movie before.

13. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Yes 23/24.

He's earned the starting spot for this season. Progressed mid season last yr. Putting the time in this off-season.

Is this in question?

Whether or not he gets a new contract and the value if he does, depends on how the season plays out.

hajkov likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hakeem faked injury and refused to suit up because he was mad at the coach....I guess we should have given up on him too right?

The people who whine about KPJ are constantly grasping for straws and pretending the situation is a LOT worse than it really is. You'd have to be brand new to basketball to have that mentality. That's what cognitive bias can do though.

15. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Yup. Reminder - he’s Harden’s protege. What does that say to you

16. TimDuncanDonaut

2021-22 PG (article list of starters at the 1, back in Oct 2021, before bunch of the moves. )

--- guys above KPJ tier --- The number serve more as a 'counter' than a rank.
    1. Stephanie Curry
    2. Luka
    3. Dame Lily Pad
    4. Trae
    5. Chris Paul
    6. Jrue Holiday
    7. De'Aaron Fox
    8. Kyle Lowry
    9. Mike Conley (Yes Jazz went rebuild but this was before their teardown)
    11. Ja
    12. Shai Gilgenous-Alexander (technically a PG but share duty with Giddy)
    14. Malcolm Brogdon (pacers, before the trade to Celtics)
    15. VanFleet (Raptors)
    16. Lonzo Ball (Bulls)
    17. D'Angelo Russel (wolves)
    18. Dejounte Murray (spurs, before the trade)
    19. Marcus Smart (celtics)
    20. Darius Garland (cavs)
    21. Tyrese Maxey (76ers, before Harden got there)

---- in KPJ's tier --- arguable.
    2x. Monte Morris (Nuggets, before traded to Wizards)
    2x. Patty Mills (Nets, since he's short, if you count Harden at the 1 / PG, Harden is above)
    2x. Dinwiddie (Wizard, before going to the Mavs)
    2x. Devonte' Graham (Pelicans)
    2x. KPJ (Rockets?) - It's arguable he's in this lot.

---- KPJ could be argued better.
    27. Jalen Suggs (magic)
    28. Kilian Hayes (Pistons, better than Killian, but if counting Cade at the 1, then Cade is above)
    29. Westbrook (Lakers)
    30. Kemba Walker / Immanuel Quickley (Knicks)

Article projected KPJ at 28, but I can maybe put KPJ somewhere at #23 -26, knowing how things played out like how bad Westbrook was.

#176 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

If we can figure out how to utilize AL in the halfcourt and Jalen can level up a bit in creating for others, we will be fine with KPJ. Those 3 can split the playmaking easy.

KPJ earned the right to see how this year goes. I'm optimistic. If KPJ doesn't work, I see Washington being a starting level point guard anyway.

18. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I imagine something about sources and not burning bridges. I'm right because it's on youtube.

19. 34to11

34to11 Member

Grasping? I LITERALLY stated what the kid did.
    Down play it to your heart's content but the FACTS are immutable.

And honestly, given your rep, I'm more than happy to be on the opposite side of this issue.

slothy420, REEKO_HTOWN and King1 like this.
  20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Minimizing the behavior? I acknowledged the behavior and have put the onus on KPJ to prove he can keep it together. The Rockets lose nothing by sending him back out there and seeing if he can build on the season he had after his incident.

Talented players get a longer leash, that’s just business.

Bobbythegreat likes this.