1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where do you think Kevin Porter Jr. will be for the 2023-24 season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 1, 2021.

?

Where do you think Kevin Porter Jr. will be for the 2023-24 season?

1. Starting point guard for the Houston Rockets

2. Starting two-guard or wing for the Houston Rockets

3. Coming off the bench for the Houston Rockets

4. On another team

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is really what it boils down to. I want to see how KPJ responds to negotiations and maybe a change up in roles.

The goal of this team is not to develop KPJ. The goal is to develop Green, Sengun and the 3 rookies. If KPJ isn’t down with that then he can leave in free agency.

Deckard, Easy, xaos and 1 other person like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

KPJ is 22. He still is in development stage. People forget how young the dude is.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Developing KPJ should absolutely be a priority. He’s considerably better than any other guard next to Green on the roster.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

I don’t see it. The Rockets gave him the biggest runway in the NBA and he didn’t show me he’s capable of being a starting PG in this league. I’m sure the Rockets saw it too and will be adjusting his role this season.

I really don’t see KPJ as a raw prospect. He was drafted 3 seasons ago. Look at the 2019 draft. KPJ os closer to who he will be in the future than some hidden gem waiting for things to click. I’m sorry, things don’t always work out for talented players in this league

22 years old doesn’t matter. 3 seasons going into season 4 does.

#144 REEKO_HTOWN, Jul 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

interesting quandary for our talented but not fully-formed emotionally guy - IMO there is not one single team he can be, or feel, more valued on. KPJ musy, must ai say, embrace this and maximize his value in situ.

I want him to succeed. To be valued on all levels right here. His options kinda/sorta parallel Kyrie in that it’s not the talent in question, it’s reliability/fit/composure/understanding his reality.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He averaged 19.5ppg, 5.1rpg and 6.4apg while shooting 37% from 3 after the all star break. The guy is 22. If the maturity concerns weren’t there, the Rockets would have wrapped him up already. He’s in control of how this plays out, but the talent is there.

7. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

KPJ development and future is up to his mindset and behaviour.
    If he puts his head in place, in both his "rebel demeanor" and also accept that this is not HIS team, then we are talking...

Otherwise, get outta here.

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

All I need him to do is be him... Attack , play defense, and sprinkle in a few designed assists to the hot man... I've come around on him since he's 22. No more immature bs and bad body language.. Do what's needed and stfu!

9. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

McMahon has recently spent time here. Was right about the multiple 1st rd offers for EG before the draft. Obviously has ties/access to those in the know. It's not possible he has "one shred of evidence"?

10. PatBev

PatBev Member

They arguments and chaos that KPJ is going to cause this board is what I’m most excited about this season

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  11. REEKO_HTOWN

Like I said, good stats on a historically bad NBA team. The Rockets gave him the keys. The lack of an extension says more about how they value him than anything I post here. The only way I see him being on this team after this season is if he becomes an borderline Allstar or he comes of the bench as a 6th man.

34to11 likes this.
  12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Fully expect him to be the starting PG in 22/23. He has earned that. He will be in the driver seat as far as what type of contract he receives, if one at all.

All about having the right attitude. If he can show leadership, play smart, make the right passes, get everyone involved and most importantly remember there is no I in team, then he should get paid next yr.

That being said, if he has any more episodes and there are any signs at all his attitude is having a negative effect on any of the younger players, he should be gone. No question.

Hope he has the right attitude.

sydmill likes this.
  13. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

I was really hoping last year is the breakout year for KPJ. I remember he had the 50 point game against the Bucks towards the end of 20-21 season, and so heading into 21-22, again, was really hoping he'd take a significant step forward. I think he did take some steps forward but it wasn't super impactful. Part of that I assume is getting adjusted to playing with a #2 pick but at the end of the day, you own your own development. I really hope 22-23 is the year where he drastically improves and forces Rockets to pay up (i.e. not lose him Brunson style) - but if I had to predict now, I assume he'll make a modest improvement in 22-23 and he'll be re-signed at a reasonable, relatively team-friendly multi-year deal.

14. marinara

marinara Member

His played 1 season as a PG?

15. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

He seems inconsistent, just depends on what the market determines his value is and who will have money to spend. I think he gets a similar deal to anfernee simons since they put up similar numbers and are about the same age by the time the contract is signed, but KPJ will be discounted due to his past. Assuming about a 30% discount due to this, so 4/$70M if he has a good season this year. I would prefer they move on from him though. Other than Green, Jabari, Eason, and maybe Sengun I don't think many of the others really fit in Houston.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

His tweet has nothing....no sources, nothing.....

And how do you know he was right about multiple offers for EGo?

Just because you think he is right?

DD

mikenm268 likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So the guy who isn't good enough to run the point in Summer League should start at PG while the most talented player on the team comes off the bench?

Drugs. The only explanation.

Milos and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya. The complaint with KPJ with some posters is he often has blinders on. Josh from at least me watching him seems to have a much larger problem with that than KPJ.

Milos likes this.
  19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

KPJ may have only played one season as PG in name, but he's been playing basketball and handling the ball his whole life.

It's like when Harden or Lebron James or any other player who handles the ball a lot is officially given the title of "PG"...Yeah of course there are some differences, but this wasn't some major shift...His usage from when he played 50 games in Cleveland was not much different than his usage in Houston the past two seasons.

I have my issues with KPJ, but I think the team right now is set up pretty good for him to succeed. He may get blinders sometimes and not be the greatest passer, but that's ok as long as he steps his defense up, shoots consistently, GETS BETTER AT FREETHROWS and TURNS THE BALL OVER LESS.

If he does those things I can even take a few crazy outburst moments from him.

Rashmon likes this.
  20. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Rockets are in a tough position with him:
    A. Trade him, you will not get equal value the players like him, but management doesn’t value him
    B. His skill set can be replaced, but it will take time or money
    C. He is the second best guard on the team you sign him and eat into that payroll.
    D. 20 or 22 million a year is what I think he would want - (Eric Gordon money)