1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Are handles really Jabari's Problem?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LikeMike, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Not sure about that. Lets take a look at tTm Duncan, who mind you came into the league at an older 21, did not take people off the dribble much even in his rookie year. he had a lot of turnaround js like Jabari will have but Jabari is the better shooter. TD was stronger in the post so could bully folks more there but break guys off the dribble?? Jabari has more potential there

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Duncan had a myriad of post moves unlike Smith, they are nothing alike and nobody plays on the post like Duncan did Embid is the modern-day Duncan, and his dribble package is better than Smiths.

Duncan did not have to take people off the dribble he could dominate them in the post, unlike Smith.

Jabari has more potential in the post?

Um no, Duncan was Dream-like in the post and Smith has shown very little of that.

Duncan shot over 65% on 2-point shots as opposed to Smith's 42%.

3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

didnt say Jabari had more potential in the post, but he has more potential to "break guys off the dribble" than Duncan for the simple fact he is younger and more agile than TD was entering the league. plus the league today is more accepting of big men doing that. Embiid may be the modern day Duncan for post moves but Embiid is a better dribbler than Duncan ever was.

4. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

We got enough (dribble the air out of the ball ) type guys on this team..

Porter
    Green
    Christopher
    Nix
    TyTy
    Gordon (if not traded)

now add shooters, floor runners, Dog Defenders , floor spacers, unselfish players who don’t need the ball..

Jabari
    Tari
    Tate
    Mathews
    Martin
    Garuba

And then there is Sengun…
    The high post low post passing and scoring threat

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

This right here is the answer
    Number 1 and 2

He’s not a center so don’t play him as one it’ll only wear him out

He should be aiming to be a KD light, and he should know that his efficiency will come from back to basket at the elbow, he can survey the floor and pass out, use a back to the basket move, if he is being guarded by a bigger guy then he’ll be able to move out and hit threes. Instead he camps at the 3 point line with a guy in his face who knows he wants to shoot the 3, that’s what I do when playing with the scrubs at LA fitness so that should tell you how horrible of a game plan that is.

6. i3artow i3aller

7. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

He needs to dribble from one side of the court to the other side of court while not looking at the ball or feeling uncomfortable when someone is guarding him while dribbling.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Smith is more agile than Duncan?

How did you come to that conclusion, Duncan was one of the most agile big men of all time.

Agility has nothing to do with dribbling so it does not matter if he is more agile.

Yes, Embid is a better dribbler than Duncan but that has bearing on the discussion what's your point.

9. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

What I am talking about with dribble package vs. handles:

Take a look at Chet in the summer league. He has a great dribble package and uses it to create his own shot. At the same time he is kinda loose with the ball and turns it over because of that about 2 times per games. I don‘t think he has the best handles, but is a great dribbler, especially for his size.

Jabari doesn‘t have a great dribble package - and it‘s not like he has particularly good handles. But the biggest difference to me is, he doesn‘t use the dribble to create shots. He only uses it to get to his spot. And I would argue, even if he had the skills of Chet, he still wouldn‘t use it nearly as much as he does, simply because he wouldn‘t be that comfortable with it. He said himself, he doesn‘t do stuff on the court, he is not comfortable with and he is not a flashy player.

He definetly needs to work on handles and dribble moves - but I would argue getting a go-to move like the Dirk fadeaway or the Jokic fadeaway should be his priority - other than that he needs to tighten up his ability to attack close outs. If he does both, he is fine. If he can also add a move or two to at least get by slower defenders like a spin or a crossover, he can be a top 10 player in this league.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You misclassed Tate who was a black hole when he touched the ball last year.

bmelo likes this.
  11. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

In his last summer league game he brought the ball up the court - in another shot he was crossing his man up, got to the rim through traffic and finished through contact. Later he crossed his man up and used a spin move to get a layup. In all his moves he didn‘t get a ton of seperation. But again - I don‘t think his handles are the problem. His moves look good, just a little slow. I think it‘s a lot more about his feet and hip than about his handles.

Easy, Hakeemtheking and robbie380 like this.
  12. bmelo

bmelo Member

i think he got fed up with those dribbling accustations. He just needs strength to pull it off in nba

13. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

It’s the ball’s problem.