1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's/who's the next move?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Puppet Master, Jun 25, 2022.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

While I do think it's a long shot, I love this proposal. Also, didn't the Hawks give up 4 FRPs to the Spurs?

D-rock likes this.
  2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Go out there and steal James Wiseman from the Warriors, dude is a beast and will be a free agent in 2023. He fits our timeline we just need to watch his health this year.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'd like for us to get a veteran pass-first point guard, someone really calm who can tutor and mentor the young guys. A healthy Rubio or something like that would have been nice. Or Kyle Lowry or Mike Conley maybe.

4. raining threes

They've got a good chance to win 30 games next year. I'm hoping they win 25. I think you're going to be surprised by how much the defense improves. They've now got length on the Frontline. Bari and Tari are really going to improve the defense. If Porter doesn't go mental I think he can be a good defender too Sign Whiteside to play 20 mins a game and the defense will be much improved. I can't wait to see how much the off-season weight room work is going to help Green on the defensive end of the court.

snowconeman22 and Corrosion like this.
  5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Just sort of thinking about the future, next offseason.

Obviously a homerun would be to land either Scoot or Wemby, top of the class, easy fits, but the more likely scenario is 4th or 5th pick in the draft.

Looks like the 2 and 4 are locked up, Eason seems like he could be the guy at 3 or a guy like Whitmore from the draft.

Very early thoughts about signing Myles Turner, and cashing in the Nets picks for Donovan Mitchell.

Mitchell / TyTy
    Green / JGup
    Eason / Tate
    Smith / Garuba
    Turner / Sengun

Float in a top five pick in there, and I think thats a team that could win a ring in a few years.

Hakeemtheking, D-rock and sydmill like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yes, they did.

But Hawks also have 2 FRP in 2023.

7. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think that Myles Turner makes all kinds of sense on this team. Perhaps a 3 way where EG goes for draft capitol and an expiring that is shipped to Indiana along with another pick or 2 and/or guy like Martin/Tate/Garuba? I'd love Middleton or Donovan Mitchell but I dont see either guy as very likely at this moment.

jch1911 and D-rock like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Add Thybulle and/or Myles Turner and make this defense truly transcendent.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

#329 D-rock, Jul 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    Hakeemtheking likes this.
  10. JD88

JD88 Member

Rather have Sengun and some turd taking up the C minutes.

Myles Turner is not a viable long term option, so what would be the point in having him take valuable PT?

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Turner is only 26.

And an elite rim protector who is a 3ball threat.

CF needs to stop repeating this flawed timeline nonsense.

Astrodome and jch1911 like this.
  12. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Admit it - you put this trade together only to find a new way to get Jalen Johnson ;)

i3artow i3aller and D-rock like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

I like Jalen Johnson but I'd send him to another team if Rockets can still come away with Turner and Thybulle.

In a heartbeat.

But yes, I'd rather have Jalen Johnson on the Rockets if at all possible.

subtomic likes this.
  14. sydmill

sydmill Member

Lets put to one side the idea that the Rockets need to put together an entire team of teenagers and 20 year olds and just assume they develop together (if you can even keep them together when ther are all looking for big money at the same time). Look, the Rockets cannot stay perpetual bottom feeders. They lose those valuable picks that make that an option starting in 2024. So they need to turn the corner next season at worst. Turner helps them do that. And he is young enough (and bigs stay good long enough) to be of use when all the kiddos are starting to hit their prime.

jch1911, Hakeemtheking and D-rock like this.
  15. xaos

xaos Member

There really isn't any pressing move needed this year. Get a better sense of who your core is. These are 19-21 year old kids. Add some structure to their defense as a team. Continue to teach them how to be professionals. Work on their individual and team game. Work on their body. How do you stay healthy? How do you endure an 82 game season.

For guys like Green, he was finding that out last year. Will he help teach that to the new guys? It's a in opportunity for growth in leadership skills and team building.

Ultimately I believe Smith will be the vocal leader of the team, even though Green will he the most talented. But, these are the moves for 2022-2023.

2023 forward becomes more about roster construction and making roster moves.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Agree with this. This year will be about development and seeing what we have and making the decision about KPJ. Can he harness his talent, control himself and earn a contract?

I expect we will be in the bottom third record wise and who knows if that means a top 5 pick or not. Adding Scoot or Wemby changes a lot in terms of FA decisions for 2023.

By 2023 you make your roster moves. Wiggins? Middleton? Will there be a disgruntled star that we can absorb into our caproom and cash in the Nets picks for?

I don’t see the need to add any vets right now. I’d prefer Gordon, Nwaba, and Mathews traded.

KPJ/TyTy
    Green/JC
    Eason/Martin
    Smith/Tate
    Sengun/Garuba

Let all the young guys play, raise their trade values, develop them and tank one more year.

KingSamJack, xaos and Fulgore like this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

A trade like this could be done next offseason. That is the timeline. Perhaps you shouldn’t repeat incessant trades that would shake up the team and instead see what you have first. Give yourself one more chance at a top pick that gives you a guy that fits well with Green and Jabari. Or, helps enable you to get someone that is truly desirable after this season when you flip the switch after this year.

This is the timeline that seemed logical 1 1/2 years ago to me for the rockets and so far they have not deviated from it at all, CF trade ideas circle the drain month after month.

xaos likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Adding talented vets that complement your best players, especially ones that share same culture, is the opposite of a negative.

And Green was able to develop just fine even with vets like EGo, Nwaba, Tate and Wood on team.

It's never too early to develop chemistry and/or be competitive.

Hakeem was surrounded by vets AND still dominated in the Western finals his 2nd season.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Trading EGo and non core pieces like KJ, Nwaba and Garuba does NOT shake up the team.

The trade actually consolidates and amplifies this young team.

The opportunity to add Turner AND Thybulle is NOW.

When opportunity knocks you open that door and grab it by the throat, not wait and hope a better opportunity comes along later.

20. xaos

xaos Member

I don't think we will agree on this at all and I know you're persistent. I respectfully disagree on the draft capital given up, the draft position we lose by this move, the early commitment to guys on a roster full of 19-20 year olds who we need more data on before we find "missing pieces ", loss of flexibility, etc. I know you want to win more now and this trade does it, but I don't like the opportunity costs and I could write a 5 page essay on why I feel that way and I'm confident you're still going to feel the way you feel so I'll just keep it simple and say I'll rather roll out what we have this year, collect more data, grow organically, remain flexible unless if something big comes up and start making roster moves after we know our 2023 draft position and we no longer have control over our own for 3 years.