1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Spurs - Vegas Summer League 7/11/2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 10, 2022.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nah. He's learning. A lot of the guys on our team were driving and attacking just like Silas' offense probably would like, but it seems like they were lost or made wrong passes or no passes after the drive. JC looked like he wanted to attack and that was it. This is what was and still is annoying. It's like he's playing a creator role, but he's a pure scoring guard. In a lineup with Nix and/or TyTy, maybe it's not so bad because they can help make the right decisions (hopefully), but there were some brain-dead plays Josh was making. It was bad at points in this game, but not as bad as earlier.

I was listening to Amin Elhassan a while ago on SiriusXM's NBA channel and he said when people ask "why is this dude in Summer League when we already know he can play and he can put up 20 on these dudes with no effort?" He said Summer League for some players is like "we know you can put up 20 on these dudes because you're that much better, but we also know you're going to screw up, so let's see where you screw up and we can fix that". So in a sense, summer league is more like showing you what you can't do vs. showing us what you can do. Maybe it's some of that.

This is Rick Higgins saying in a polite/kind way what others are saying :

#921 Dr of Dunk, Jul 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Our rebounding will be better, our defense will be better, we have great scorers, passers, and now the best defensive duo in the league, and we'll be in the Finals this year. That's all I'm hearing now. lol. People are starting to talk themselves into this happy state. All I'm saying is "let's see when we play against some real NBA players". :D

3. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Has shown more then TyTy

4. Rokman

Rokman Member

Agreed. I think everyone just wants to play with the new puppies. Christopher is making them feel like the dog they already have who is trying to get attention and they just want it to sit down until they are done. Once the new wares off, they'll be saying Josh, we need your game, get out there and push the offense!!

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

nah man we winning it all next year!!!

a we be 20th-ish maybe in rebounding lol? Has to be better than 30th!

6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

There are only a handful of current NBA starters in whole league can do what you want. You need to lower your PG expectations. Most guys coming into the league today have combo guard skills sets.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. raining threes

Defensively they surely will be.

I expect the defense to be much improved this yr.

Rockets Rule, Believe It! and D-rock like this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Man, you are such a pessimist. To borrow Morey's immortal words, "Nobody will want to play us in the playoffs!" :cool:

10. raining threes

Henderson can do this.

clutchdabear likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Aim low and you won't be disappointed. :cool:

I hope we're an improved team, but I'm hearing talk that summarized sounds like we'll be a 60-win team. I'd be ecstatic and surprised if we can push 30-35 wins, but what the hell - surprise me some more.

#931 Dr of Dunk, Jul 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    34to11, Easy, ArtV and 2 others like this.
  12. raining threes

This lineup is insanity.

hakeem94 and snowconeman22 like this.
  13. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

i mean yea that's true and likely a product of the aau system and the fact that kids these days grow up idolizing iverson, kobe, curry and now morant.. but it's frustrating as hell to watch. and if nix isn't a pure pg, then there are much better options than him - someone who's better conditioned and can shoot better while playing more impactful defense.

would be nice if these lead guards would pore over film of jkidd, nash, and cp3 instead.

hakeem94 and rpr52121 like this.
  14. liveguy

liveguy Member

That’s literally all he needs to do is play defense, hit the 3 when the ball is passed to him, set good screens and get rebounds.

He does that, he can easily get a quiet 20, 10 and 2

Those quiet double doubles are the best.

Yao used to do that all the time.

Dobbizzle, BigMaloe, HP3 and 5 others like this.
  15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I don't think we will b dead last or even bottom 3. Probably kiss our chances at the wemby sweepstake good bye

Plowman and don grahamleone like this.
  16. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

im not throwing away kpj being our starter it really depends on if he can play more like the guy who showed up to close out the season. If he can be a legit 23-24ppg scorer with good efficiency and still get 6-7 assist a game I think you have to start him. That’s just too good of a player to be coming off the bench he has legit NBA size at 6’5. if he was 6’2 I would be on board for 6th man role but his size is just so intriguing and maybe I’m looking to much into that. Prob am.

Now if he’s just a 15ppg guy who can get 6 assist then ya he’s a bench guy and he’ll have a career like Dennis Schroeder or Reggie Jackson. Good players coming off the bench but not starter material on a championship team.

17. swakid8

swakid8 Member

That’s ok, let the chips fall where they need to. Stone is on point drafting this far…

saleem and don grahamleone like this.
  18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Amazing but, rookies are never allowed to play this way. The crap nba refs will have them sitting early due to foul trouble. We'll have to wait until year 2 or 3 when they have the respect to show what they can do.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

Tari plays like he's out for blood every single night and I love it.

Nook, Believe It!, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  20. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Tari maybe but Bari plays textbook defense. He wont foul alot. He doesn't even leave his feet on close out. He just so fundamental. Tari tho is a ball of energy, that can be a double edge sword. Me personally I would have him as a super 6th man. So you can save him from foul trouble. Cause I would hate to take his aggressiveness away. So for the better of the team I would just unleash him off the bench. It isn't who starts but who finish

ipaman, D-rock and Hakeemtheking like this.