1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daishen Nix Hype Train

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, the weight issue may have killed him, but interstingly enough, he lost weight before the combine and then apparently gained it back almost immediately after the draft. This may just be his biggest problem. I've posted this before in the past, but here's Givony showing he was back closer to his "normal" slimmed-down self back at the combine. Also, his body fat % was less than TyTy's :

2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

If Daishen Nix wants to be a Starting Point Guard, he needs to slim down. He needs to Guard those Opposing Quicker Guards on Defense and have more Stamina at the end of Games

Those heavy 36 minutes can wear on his Big Frame.

Lose Weight - More Energy - Quicker - Play 36 More Minutes - Have Extra Stamina Late in 4th Quarters.

I really hope he slims down, similar to Kyle Lowry when he was a young guy on the Rockets.

burlesk, Hakeemtheking and jcmoon like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dude was 18 - most everyone is slim when they are 18, and then you add weight moving forward as your body matures, look at Yao when he came into the league.

i am not saying Nix can't afford to lose a few, I just don't know......he might be in excellent shape for his body type.....he might need to lose 20......hard to really say.

DD

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I mean unless "most everyone is slim when they are 18" and then "most everyone is overweight when they're 18.5 - 19". Even the Rockets said he was trying to lose the excess weight. BTW, he was actually 19 at the combine, but I played along.

A month before the combine he was overweight. He had to lose weight to become what he was at the combine in that tweet from Givony. Less than a few months later, he gained a lot of it back at the Sixers summer league and looked to be in worse shape in the G-League before he got to the Rockets. His weight is bouncing around. You act like he's 32 now and we're looking at his pic from 14 years ago. We're talking about a span of a few months at most and the weight gain followed by weight loss followed by weight gain again happened in about a span of 6-9 months.

5. Newlin

Newlin Member

Let’s not overthink this. He’s a 20 year old point guard coming off a good season in the g league, on a super cheap contract for the next three years. I see no negatives at this point. Sure, he’s a bit hefty. But, I don’t really see that as a problem at this point.

He doesn’t have to be a star player to add value to our team.

No Worries, Mr.Scary, eman and 5 others like this.
  6. DaDakota

Well it sounds like he needs to lose some weight then.

DD

7. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Nice game by Jabari tonight

8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

The weight issues aside, he's impressed me the last couple of games and I'm coming around to him. I think for what this team needs, Ty-Ty fills that role better but Nix has a future if he can keep improving. It would help so much, so much if he could get a dietician and just stayed disciplined.

eman, BallSoHarden and Hakeemtheking like this.
  9. DaDakota

Nix has looked very good in the SL so far, pretty meh in first game but really good in next two....clearly feeling his way to backup PG.

DD

10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He had an awful first game, but aside from that I think he’s looked pretty good.

11. marinara

marinara Member

Looked way more in control today. Hopefully his gaining confidence.

12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Very good game for Nix. Hopefully he continues to improve. Backing up Porter is basically his job to lose.

13. anchel

anchel Member

Impressive game. You can understand why coaches love him.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  14. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Perception aside, all I care about are results, and the guy looked good with his given opportunities.

Time will tell of course and nothing is guaranteed, but he looks like the best backup PG out there right now based on his play.

Little Bit and eman like this.
  15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I thought he looked a lot better today, 3rd best player for the Rockets behind Eason and Smith.

eman and glynch like this.
  16. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

#516 burlesk, Jul 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    Zen Tabak and SamFisher like this.
  17. i3artow i3aller

18. eman

eman Contributing Member

Nice Nix game tonight. Looks like he’ll hit open 3s at a decent %. Some nice passes. Want to see him run more PnR, set his teammate up into a solid pick and execute all the simplest options off their roll/slip/pop. Overall liking him for our backup PG role.

Little Bit and Hakeemtheking like this.
  19. DaDakota

Here is the question with audio.

DD

20. DaDakota

Getting there.

DD

eman likes this.