1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Spurs - Vegas Summer League 7/11/2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 10, 2022.

1. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Same thing with KPJ

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had the same reaction… he started forcing things at the end, which probably affected that view.

3. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

The 29th pick is not leading this team

4. swakid8

swakid8 Member

Yes and it’s the summer league. I am not going to get carried away.

5. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

I said when SL started that I thought both Eason and Tyty would be good additions for us. I got to see Eason but TyTy was hurt when we played KY...both games at Auburn. But I liked TyTy all season. I was really hoping we might be able to get Kessler also but Eason is probably a steal.Future is bright for us.

6. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

To everyone that thinks Josh Christopher sucks….I damn sure don’t agree with that assessment…

As hard as he works…
    He will be nothing short of an elite NBA player….
    You better hope that when he develops his complete game…he’s still with us….

20yrs old…remember that

7. Calvin Murphy's Law

Ah, but if we are now allowed to engage in some pedantry: poster said closer to 18, not closer to turning 18. The months we are just truncating out (that is, 18 years and 364 days still counts).
    Which is just another way of saying he's younger than 19 years and 6 months.

8. i3artow i3aller

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

didn't think about this. maybe this is what the coaches told him to do and that's why he is acting so out of character.

10. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

it wasn't just nix missing jabari on some open looks, he also missed some others and generally didn't play with a good tempo as a table setter for others - he was able to get his own. there was that one sequence where nix was leading a fastbreak but gave up the ball a second or two too late to hudgins and jj redick was saying how a pg needs to give the ball to the shooter clean and on time, basically in rhythm. redick was saying how he hated it when his pg wouldn't hit him in rhythm.

this is the main issue with kpj and nix - they may be willing passers some points during the game but they just don't have that natural feel to hit their shooters in rhythm the way someone like cp3 would. and sometimes it makes all the difference between a miss or a make.

34to11 likes this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If you listen to the spaces next years Rockets are going to be a top 10 defensive team and a playin team lol.

I’m SUPER excited about the potential of these forwards, especially defensively….

but as others have said, summer league, against a Spurs team where I know 2 players both rookies and I can’t pronounce one of them lol.

I think this tandem Bari-Tari will legit be incredible… but slow your roll.

last year we thought summer league was a clue we’d have the best rookies in the history of time. That took a bit to come close to materializing. This year Jabari has “struggled” offensively so I’ve heard a lot of “wait till he’s on the “real” roster!”

Jabari is young af. It’s not too g to come immediately imo. He’s basically two years younger than Mobley (so a full year younger when starting his rookie campaign) and won’t be insulated by a Jarret Allen next to him (though I LOVE Sengun and think he’s a better defender than most). Meanwhile Tari is 100% energy, hustle, smarts, etc all amazing and lots of signs it will develop A LOT.

But point is year 2, year 3 of these guys is what’s going to be amazing. Hopefully JG sticks with it, they get lucky with the draft next year cause then yeah 2023/2024 can really be amazing.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

And he is only 20 as well, the only real worry is he may eat himself out of the league.

DD

18pbr likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Looks like that really want to have a good look at Nix. I might be wrong but he the Rocket player who got the most PT so far.

DaDakota likes this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Just finished watching the recording of the game and damn I’m proud of these young guys I know it’s summer league but they all battled.

Jabari is going to be a monster

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Jabari and Tari with some ridiculous defense. These guys are going to be awesome.

16. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the 20 or so years I’ve been watching Summer League (and preseason for that matter), I don’t ever think I’ve seen defense played like this. Normally it’s kind of a loose All Star game type play, but tonight, the combination of Jabari, Tari and Ty Ty wrecked the Spurs offense in the 2nd half. I know it will be tougher against a full squad of legit NBA players, but I’m genuinely excited to see what these guys can do in the regular season. Their offense was just icing on the cake.

Someone needs to remind Christopher that he’s already in the rotation and to calm the **** down. Nix has started showing what the Rockets see him and I like the fact that he appears have solid catch and shoot 3pt skills - that could be the difference in him getting victory cigar minutes vs being in the regular rotation.

Meanwhile, poor Lamb is just out there like a kindergartner who accidentally got promoted to 5th grade. It’s time for him to go to Europe. Hudgins and Holman seem the logical choice for RGV although we haven’t seen anything from some of the other invitees.

17. liveguy

liveguy Member

I remember that Portland Trailblazer team from the early 2000’s that was hard to run with because Dunlavey would sub 5 in, 5 out.

Rockets have that potential if they choose to use it.

That Blazer team was almost impossible to keep up with cause they always had fresh legs.

18. 34to11

34to11 Member

But the 30th pick is???

#logic

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Are these Twitter Spaces recorded? I missed most of this one.

i3artow i3aller and BigM like this.
  20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Man… are we finally going to be able to just naturally dominate the boards?

Alpi, Jabari, Tari will be a menace on the board. Alpi is a sneaky good rebounder - better per 100 possession rebounding numbers than Mobley last year. Tari snatches anything within feet of him. Jabari is just solid as f rebounder.

It’s the little things this draft class might have shored up.

the Rockets were 30th in rebounding last year. 30th!!

exciting.