1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man...We got unlucky with Jabari Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shakes05, Jul 9, 2022.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

There’s so many misconceptions and misinterpretations on this thread to what was said or meant and what isn’t. I’ll clarify. I never said he couldn’t dribble drive at all. I simply said his handles are not there and his game doesn’t rely on them. He simply isn’t that player that uses dribble moves to get defenders off balance or lure them in before a shot or drive to the basket. This is simply what I have said so any other interpretation on what I said is inaccurate. And the video you showed me he didn’t use dribbling moves (in and out, crossover, thru legs, hesitation) etc to create separation or get his defender off balanced. He simply drove on a good angle banchero gave him and the other he used a post up move to get to the rack. This isn’t what Im talking about when I talked about handles. He isn’t creating shots thru dribbling. And that’s not his game. He hasn’t taken the ball full court and not a good handler in transition that’s why you see him dump off and defer to the pg every time. Your video doesn’t show him handling the ball full court. Im really not sure why some of you have so much of an issue or dispute what I say especially when I think he is still a very good player. My whole point is about our unrealistic and unfair expectations of him and also the misconceptions of development.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

What is this terrible "analysis"?.... You saying this off Summer League bruh.

SUMMER LEAGUE

majicdonjuan and Drift Monkey like this.
  3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Look dude again nice try in trying to ruin my day. I already told you i don’t value the media as you do. I already told you what I meant by “clearly”. You have been on my nuts ever since I posted something about Smith you don’t agree on. What do you want me to say? Are you that hurt about my comments about Smith? You must be fuc*ing him because you wouldn’t be all over my nuts like you have been. Well im sorry I offended you and your boo. You keep telling me what i said and think and refuse to believe anything else making a big deal out of nothing well That’s on you bud. Cheers.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

I don't care if you're trolling either... Thread making privileges need to be revoked :rolleyes:

Drift Monkey likes this.
  5. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Jalen looked like a superstar in Summer League tho... stop talking out of your ass

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So we cant point out the weaknesses of his game just because he was thought to be the 3rd best prospect?

This has nothing to do with the other guys it's all about the impact you expect from the 3rd overall pick.

You would like to think they could offer something else offensively if the shot is not falling.

Keegan Murray is going to be interesting to watch I wonder if Smith is going to be that much better defensively.

It's very telling that you are already lowering your bar that not being an all-star is acceptable and then you went top 10 when Smith was a top 3 guy.

It's very early, we have a long ways to go but the flaws are very apparent and should be somewhat worrisome.

Stephen_A likes this.
  7. Landry's Tooth

You said guys picked 4th and 5th were clearly superior and you're literally the only person on the planet I've come across with that take.

I don't think you know what clearly means...

Drift Monkey likes this.
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

lol you’re still on my nuts. You must really like me. I have a girlfriend im sorry.

9. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

I've seen him make at least one jump hook in his college highlights so I'm sure he could pull it off. It's a matter of if we will get him deep enough in the paint for him to utilize it

Drift Monkey likes this.
  10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I never mentioned Horford, are you high or wtf are your replies about?

Literally all the nonsense you reply to me is about stuff I never said or that other posters said who I corrected.

And if you talk about KAT's handles by mentioning his apg I know you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, he was one of the most fluid bigs pre-nba ever because he grew up as a PG and had a late growth spurt.

And "super advanced" handles wtf? I never said that, you're literally doing elementary school hyperbole now.

jiggyfly and omgTHEpotential like this.
  11. omgTHEpotential

Or hire McHale to teach him :D

Drift Monkey and TriumVirate like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOL.

Paul George had great handles coming into the NBA, he was considered to be 2 guard when drafted.

13. Landry's Tooth

Some comparison between Banchero and Jabari...

Games shooting under 40%
    Banchero: 10 / 39
    Jabari: 11 / 34

Games shooting 35% from 3
    Banchero: 15 / 39
    Jabari: 20 / 24

I Harden's MVP season he averaged 1.51 points per FGA.

Games scoring 1.51 points/ FGA
    Banchero: 12 / 39
    Jabari: 14 / 34

Season Points/ FGA
    Banchero: 1.307
    Jabari: 1.348

They seem comparable on offense but different. Jabari spaces better which helps KPJ and Jalen. Banchero is more ball dominant and could hurt Jalen and KPJ looks.

Defense is night and day.

For now, they want Jabari to stay out of the paint and knock down shots off drives while playing defense. That's similar to a PJ Tucker role. Over time as Jabari improves they may use him in other ways.

The demands on Jabari will play to his strengths...

Drift Monkey likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Can you name anybody that said he needs to cook dudes like Kyrie?

Why must you guys always go to extremes?

He does not have the handles of Kawhi coming out nor the hand size so that's not a good example either.

Yung-T likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If he is so hard-working why does he have such a huge basic flaw in his game?

Why has he not worked hard at being better at it?

I am not saying he is not a hard worker but I am raising the possibility he just does not have that innate skill and hard work is not the answer.

This has nothing to do with SL performances its about his skillset and how that lowers his ceiling.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So now Chet does not have a jump shot?

You really are clueless.

17. Landry's Tooth

So I point out your comment and your response is: look at you pointing out my comment?

I agree, it's wise to avoid defending your opinion.... i do wish there was less vulgarity. I've not attacked you, just your comment. There is no need to get emotional about it.

majicdonjuan and Drift Monkey like this.
  18. Landry's Tooth

If you guard 5 positions and shoot 40% from 3 you're elite in today's NBA.

Jabari could be a better version of Draymond Green. I would take that...

Sometimes you have to realize no players are perfect...

KAT isn't out there guarding backcourt players. Durant isn't banging down low for rebounds. Booker, Trae, and Luka aren't anything special on the defensive end. LeBron can't read. Giannis can't shoot average from 3s or free throws.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

He has already been rookified :D

Drift Monkey likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nobody knows if he can guard 1 through 5 on the NBA level and we don't know if he will shoot 40%.

Yes if does those things he will be an elite guy but that's far from being a reality.

No, he can't be a better version of Draymond because Draymond is an above-average playmaker who unlocks a lot in that offense.

I have no idea what KAT and Durrant have to do with anything both guys are far superior offensively and Booker Trae and Luka are so far offensivley better the defense does not matter.

Are you really bringing up Lebron and Giannis?

Really?

This had nothing to do with a player being perfect.