1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where do you think Kevin Porter Jr. will be for the 2023-24 season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 1, 2021.

?

Where do you think Kevin Porter Jr. will be for the 2023-24 season?

1. Starting point guard for the Houston Rockets

2. Starting two-guard or wing for the Houston Rockets

3. Coming off the bench for the Houston Rockets

4. On another team

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't think an extension makes sense for him or the rockets. If KPJ improves next year and shows he's on a great trajectory, he'll probably get a big lucrative deal (even if it doesn't come from Houston).

Any extension he signs now would have to account for him not really proving he can reach his full potential.

groovemachine likes this.
  2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Remind me. Can we just give him 4 years 60 Mil and NG years 3 and 4 with a 5 million buyout

That guarantees him at least 30 million.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

First, relax because I never said anything about empty stats. I never brought stats up in my post. You’re trying to prove a point that doesn’t need to be proven.

Yes, if he plays an entire season like his last 10 games (24/8/6) then I agree he deserves a huge pay day. Stats he put up was incredible.

4. a time to chill

Last year was a developmental year for KPJ. This year will be a prove-it year.

groovemachine likes this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If he would take something like a 3/40 with a T/O or NG final year why not.

6. eman

eman Contributing Member

Some behaviors I just won't tolerate, and can't forgive. Walking out on your team at halftime, for instance. I'm shocked and disappointed he was on the roster after that.

7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

It's funny how folks just throw out numbers like 40 and 60 million like it's no big deal :D

KPJ should have to at least play a full season drama free before landing a lucrative multi year deal. I'm sure he can do it, but it's always wise to 'trust but verify' in these situations.

don grahamleone and jcmoon like this.
  8. HookemHorns1250

I’ve had my issues with KPJ, especially during his fits, but the talent just keeps me holding on. To me his rebounding is one of the more overlooked aspects of his game. We will have a smaller center in Sengun, and KPJ’s ability to be that extra guy (along with Smith) to grab rebounds will save a lot of extra chance opportunities.

If he can play drama free this year for the most part, and can truly share the ball with Jalen, then we definitely need to look at keeping him long term.

9. PatBev

PatBev Member

I don’t have real judgment from last season given that our team was mostly g leaguers, 18 year olds, theis, a selfish Wood, and a weak first half of season performance by Jalen

I’ll be a lot more critical about him this year. I need to see consistency of at least 75% of his post ASB play this whole season

don grahamleone and MrButtocks like this.
  10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I like KPJ, but can understand being wary of giving him a big extension. Like that prior poster said, KPJ has a history. The blow up in Cleveland is the only reason why we have him in the first place and he had the walkout incident with us last season. There are factors to consider beyond production, even if his last 10 games were great. An extension of $20M+/yr at this crucial stage of our rebuilding process warrants careful consideration.

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Porter is one of our best players. The management should keep him on our team!
    If we are ever going to get back to Championship Contention we must keep our
    our best players.! Y

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I would like this (if possible) but with 10m per year.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

In my opinion it’s stupid to have KPJ running out there as the PG/floor leader for the team. While he can certainly pass the ball, his court vision as a facilitator is hugely lacking. He’s a scoring guard, and a damn good one. Why the org thinks you can run 5 guys out there who only want to iso for their shot makes no sense to me. We have the least team oriented offense I’ve ever seen; we are like the polar opposite of golden state. We dont pass the ball well, we dont run plays, and we dont take care of the ball. I’m not sure why people think this is magically going to change running out virtually the same personnel and the same game-plan as last year.

Let KpJ thrive as a scoring guard and then we’ll see where he fits as far as long term contract. Setting up expectations that he’s our PG of the future is dumb. Just my opinion.

14. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Exactly. He's a losing player

Gimmmethemike likes this.
  15. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

hell naw trade his selfish ass! He’s not a team player first guy. He wants to be the Alpha of the team, that’s why he clashed heads with Wood who also wanted to be the Alpha of The team.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't trust him as a full time player, not even a little bit. I also think he's the type who can outright ruin locker room cohesion.

He absolutely can get buckets and make plays, but I don't think he will ever be a guy that really makes him teammates better. If he has success it will be as a Jamal Crawford type combo guard off the bench. The late season stats is garbage time games last season don't sway me.

I've wanted him gone since mid season last year, I don't think his upside is high enough for his headache. Only extension I would be happy with is a team friendly one where we can dump his ass relatively easily.

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He needs to take a step forward because he didn't do that as a player last season from the season before. If we see some marked improvement then he'll keep the job plain and simple.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Players who post stats on garbage teams don't command as much as you think. Teams look at their ability to help win games. There's a reason teams aren't high on KPJ.

I think Jabari will will butt heads with KPJ at least once. I don't see Jabari backing down so that will be a good thing. I do hope the coaches keep Tari away from KPJ as much as possible though.

19. Rockets21

Rockets21 Member

Would love to see KPJ as the 6th man. Think that Josh Christopher should be the starting PG.

He could fit on a lot of contenting teams. Suns, Nuggets, 76’ers,etc. Everybody can use the scoring he brings, but it’s the fit in the starting lineup that a concern.

jcmoon likes this.
  20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

no matter how things get slicd’n’diced the psychology of a prominent starter is significant. 3/45 with makeable incentives to bump to 4/70? I just dunno.

Butting heads with Bari and/or Eason? Who cares. If they can forge a successful on court end result.

I don’t see ‘the’ 1 on this squad. The closest mebbe is KPJ, much much more so than Nix or TyTy.

Finally, in this disjointed riposte is that KPJ must be respected to be retained. And that’s on him.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.