1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man...We got unlucky with Jabari Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shakes05, Jul 9, 2022.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Why are you arguing dude? Really? To start off with that? An assumption? “Clearly” meaning in my opinion no one else’s. I just said I don’t value mock drafts and media. One thing to think about mock drafts is that are they supposed to show who they think are the best players in the draft or who they think the teams will pick given their personnel and weaknesses? Anyway seems like you just want an explosive argument which im not entertaining. Later bro

#341 Stephen_A, Jul 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Just watch his old games if you don’t believe me. Point is that we need to clearly define these terms of what “average” or “poor” or “good” ball handling means. But My point is simple. Kawhi took the ball coast to coast. He drove on People with dribble drive. It wasn’t like dribbling was not a part of his game. It was always there. He simply improved it. Smith isn’t that kind of player. Never has been. And so to make the comparison or use Kawhi isn’t accurate. All im saying man.

glimmertwins likes this.
  3. Landry's Tooth

You don't state that as only your opinion.

You stated it's "clearly" the case meaning most see it that way...

So nice try...

Drift Monkey likes this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Kawhi Leonard.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/kawhi-leonard/

"He does not have break down ability with his dribble, and his handle is shaky esp with his left hand"

Lol you dont have to look far. The problem is you regurgitate tired old takes that dont make any sense. Did you even watch Jabari? It doesnt like you understand what his level of dribbling really is. Jabari has a low level of dribbling compared to a guard but he has adequate dribbling for a big man.

Jabari can dribble, he can lead fast breaks. He wont do advanced dribbling moves like Kyrie does, but on the flip side he is 6'10 while Kyrie is 6'2 or w/e. As a big man, people dont expect him to do behind the back and crab dribbles as he is sprinting on the court, in the same way people dont expect KaT and Al Horford to do those things either.

His shot has been off cuz the past 2 games he has been guarded by Paolo, Holmgren and Jalen Williams. Those 3 can be elite defenders in the NBA so no ****, Jabari will struggle. On the flip side, Jabari made them work for their shot as well in fact Chet Holmgren shot worse than him. Jabari's issue is a shooting issue not a dribbling issue, so you attributing his shooting struggles solely on dribbling makes zero sense. As I said Chet shot worse than Jabari so of its just dribbling holding Jabari back Chet should have shot extremely well.

#344 roslolian, Jul 11, 2022
    Drift Monkey likes this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jabari also takes the ball coast to coast. He took people off drible drive all the time. Here is thr highlight clip from his summer league debut you can see him take guys off the dribble. 2nd highlight he blows by Banchero for the layup. This whole thi g has been blown out of proportion.

#345 roslolian, Jul 11, 2022
    Drift Monkey likes this.
  6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Fantastic to see OP rookified after this thread, 100% deserved!

Drift Monkey and roslolian like this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Can you show me tapes of Al Horford and Kats advanced dribbling ability in college? Anybody can claim whstever where's your proof that Kat and Aldridge have extremely advanced dribbling skills coming into the league?

Here are horford's off the dribble moves when he was in the NBA already. I dont see how this is markedly different from Jabari's off the dribble highlight how is Alford advanced dribbler but Jabari has extremely low dribble skills?

My bad you were talking about LMA. Here are the best plays of LMa's career which of these require super advanced handles to pull off? Dude takes 2 dribbles max for almost all his shots smh.

#347 roslolian, Jul 11, 2022
    Drift Monkey likes this.
  8. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Blows my mind that people overreact to summer league so much every single year.

Drift Monkey and BMoney like this.
  9. Spooner

Spooner Member

Towns literally grew up playing point guard before his growth spurt. That is part of what made him special at the time he was drafted. Terrible example.
    Al Horford is an advanced dribbler since when? What a bizarre example. If anything, he is a great example of how shooting can be developed in the NBA. Didn't attempt 1 3 per game for like 8 seasons and now is a sniper. Al Horford and advanced dribbling? ROLFLMAO.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Thats what the other dude is claiming not me. He is saying Al horford is an advanced dribbler compared to Jabari who has extremely low handles.

Kat may have grown up playing pg but he played like a big man in college already, averaging 1 ast per game. Compare him to Banchero who really was a playmaking guard before his growth spurt clearly they are differrnt.

Drift Monkey and BonziWellsGOAT like this.
  11. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I wish he would learn a jump hook from say 5-8 feet? He if learn to do that from a spin move, it could be lethal.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

banging inside against grown men in college?

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good analysis of Jabari's non-shooting game @Stephen_A

Drift Monkey likes this.
  14. Spooner

Spooner Member

I'm 100% behind Jabari but I was saying these things about him a year ago. His college 2% at his size was historic level bad. Its really not hard to find the reason. If he had any ability to get to the rim (also historically bad in college) he wouldn't have games where he shoots 26% from the field. With a more diversified offense that wouldn't happen. But its not like this is the first time we are seeing this. He shot 18% in an upset loss against Miami last year cutting Auburns tournament hopes way short and not even making the sweet 16. My big question about him was how he would handle NBA length and it is still TBD. If you are excited about a guy who needs the ball in his "spots" so that he can completely stop the ball to take turnaround midrange jumpers in traffic and call that efficient basketball, more power to you. I was under the impression Paolo was the guy who "needed to post up." But sure lets get excited about a guy who needs the ball "in his spots" in the year 2022. But hey I keep hearing he's going to nail open 3's when he runs with the big boys. Thank god we could draft a guy at 3# overall in hopes he can hit open threes. The amount of excuses is hilarious. All I know is that good players generally don't need excuses. I'm fine with who he is and the defense is impressive. I'm not expecting a 6'10 guy to develop a reliable enough handle to be a creator anymore than I'd expect Clint Capela to come back next season as a floor general. Lets get real. LMAO. I'd like to see Jabari attack the rim when his shot isn't falling. Show me that the historically low 14% shots at the rim was a fluke. Otherwise efficiency is a concern just as it was in college.

#354 Spooner, Jul 11, 2022
    Verbal Christ and jiggyfly like this.
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I can't believe this is a thread on here, hahah , wait I can believe it... Anyway, judging/deciding any player's career from summer league play is a recipe for disaster. Summer league play is irrelevant, I wouldn't be surprised if these top picks get removed from play sooner than later so teams can focus on the players that weren't even drafted/drafted really late etc.

Those are the guys with something to prove, especially when they're playing for a contract. I wouldn't make any assumptions on a player until they actually play a few real actual NBA seasons. There's been players who sucked in the summer league and were written off by various fans, that then went on to become stars.

Being a summer league super star doesn't equal anything, what it does mean if you're a player playing for a contract is that you might have a shot to make a roster/G-league etc. and maybe it could give you a glimpse of what could be, but even then I wouldn't put to much thought into that.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yep. I remember Caroll Dawson working tirelessly with Hakeem on the jump hook. It really opened up his offensive game. The Dream Shake was the second best move in NBA history, but he couldn’t get into until after he developed that jump hook. To me Kareem’s sky hook was the most unstoppable shot in NBA history, then the dream shake, then the step back that Harden invented and changed the game forever. Nobody has perfected the sky hook since Kareem.

rpr52121 likes this.
  17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Oh now you’re trying to tell me what I said? After i just explained to you? Your interpretation is on you. Your problem not mine. Lol like i said you are adversarial ornery and argumentative for no apparent reason.

18. Landry's Tooth

It's relative. Guys in college are smaller as is he.

He's not expected to do so as much initially and he will fill out with additional muscle over time.

I mean you're asking is 6'10" / 220 to bang or 6'4" / 230 to bang?

A power forward 6 inches taller will help more than the extra 10 pounds.

I'm expecting Jabari to weigh in closer to 235-240 in a year or two...

Drift Monkey likes this.
  19. Landry's Tooth

If it's clear to you and no one else then it means you're a crazy person.

It's obvious what you intended and now you're trying to walk it back.

You tried to make a hot take and got called out. Don't make it worse for yourself...

Drift Monkey likes this.
  20. Spooner

Spooner Member

Aldridge isn't a bad example and fwiw Jabari will end up a better ball handler than Horford I'm pretty sure on that one.

2 things.

Aldridge was more successful over a decade ago as the NBA was stylistically different. There were a host of midrange shooting big men including our very own Yao Ming. That really isn't the NBA style anymore. You don't see a lot of post ups as the game is much more sped up and mid range is now deemed the most inefficient shot possible. Do we want a guy taking a ton of the most inefficient shots possible? The propensity to take contested shots and inability to get to the rim only compounds this issue.

Jabari Smith in college - 17ppg on .430 shooting .435 2pt%(historically bad for a guy 6'10)
    Lamarcus Aldridge in college - 15ppg on .569 shooting .569 2pt%

One of these guys scored efficiently inside the arc, the other was historically bad at it. Why are we under the assumption he will be efficient at it now that he has more length to shoot over and faster defenders to get around. Lets just be honest about it before making these comparisons to everyone from Kevin Durant to Scottie Pippen.