1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man...We got unlucky with Jabari Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shakes05, Jul 9, 2022.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Dude Jalen already had handles. That’s not the point. Improvement in increments not a drastic reinvention with a guy like jabari who never had handles never played point never had a one on one game using handles. Jalen always played that way since AAU and he simply honed his skills. In your logic Clint Capela can all of a sudden have handles like kyrie. Or how about Garrison Matthews turning into Dame Lillard. Development is about improvements to a players game not about drastically reinventing a player. Again the post compared him to Pippen who was a point Forward. Jabari doesn’t take the ball full court and make plays. Not his game.

jiggyfly, maj21, CircaSurvive and 2 others like this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

3. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Anyone that loves Banchero that much, just go be a Magic fan. We never had a choice to get him in the end.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Heard a podcast with I think Windhorst or Vecenie who said they know an NBA executive who had Murray at #1 on their board.
    With him it's more age than ability (even though I think that's a dumb metric and I heavily doubt Jabari or Ivey for example get his skill package within two years), everyone could see in NCAA that he has elite all-round game and had the most consistent and stat-wise best NCAA season.

jiggyfly and raining threes like this.
  5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Do you have any example of a player coming into the league with bad handles (Jabari's are worse than mediocre honestly, no need to downplay it) and then turned into a good ballhandler out of nowhere?

I really can't think of anyone, same with ppl working with Hakeem and turning from zero post-moves out of college to using a repertoire of post-moves constantly.

People here extremely overstate the ability of young players to change their skillset out of college, so far all examples I've seen are revisionist history where the players mentioned already had those skills if you watch their old tape.

Stephen_A likes this.
  6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I'm 99% sure he never watched Pippen, they are so different it isn't even funny.
    These past few weeks have really shown how little some of the more vocal posters here know about basketball.

7. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Very good point. I don't think Jabari will ever be a good ballhandler...but I think he can fit in our offense really well if he's even mediocre.

That said, as much as CF doesn't want to hear it, that means some of our current players NOT named Jalen Green may not be the best fit here. The fact that the FO took him at #3 means they (hopefully) plan to keep Jabari as a key piece.

Yung-T and Stephen_A like this.
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

There’s a lot of dudes/girls on here that talk a big game like they’re part of the management or operations team or scouts themselves. Some guys talk like these players their boyfriends getting emotional then try to demean you just because you don’t agree. Really sad stuff.

jiggyfly, TheJuice and Yung-T like this.
  9. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Draft a 3D player with 3rd pick is not good.

All star player is the target at least.

CircaSurvive, TheJuice and Stephen_A like this.
  10. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

What I care most about Jabari is his basketball IQ.
    It seems not great so far.

11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I think there needs to be a separate post itself about training and development because there’s quite a big misconception out there about what this means. People often cite age as factor in lack of certain skills and firmly believe with a little training the player can transform his entire game and be adept at whatever he is lacking. Not completely true.

jiggyfly and Yung-T like this.
  12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

His awareness on Defense is good but he lacks offensive awareness. They will Prob give him a low off rating on NBA2K23.

PeterKingX likes this.
  13. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Jabari is going to be a solid 17-20ppg with 10 rebounds and elite defense.

I’ll take that next to green all day the skill set is perfect for the rockets and his fit with the players we have is great he’s not going to demand the ball like Paulo. He can get his ih the flow of the game.

love what I saw from him ih game 3 summer League. If his shot falls that game we’re all talking about how we got a star at 3.

Paulo looks good but so does Jabari h

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  14. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Smith was the favorite to go #1. And he was that even before Orlando won the lottery and kept talking about Smith. A lot of scouts and talent evaluator had the top 3 basically on the same level and a majority of them (as far as I can tell) had Smith at #1 at the end off the college season. And they didn't just see a 3&D player.

Now people are acting like things have changed after two summer league games. His combination of size, athleticism, defense, shooting and mentality/work ethic is rare. He wasn't a spot up shooter in college. He was initiating his own offense - he didn't create a lot of space for himself and oftentimes he didn't need to. He did use a post fadeaway from time to time and he often used a one dribble pull up to get defenders out of position.

With his quick feet and work ethic - and because the defense has to respect his shot so much, he should be able to create some moves, that help him get past defenders. He won't be Kyrie and he probably won't be Banchero, but he doesn't need to. He can get his shot up, when he wants to or when he needs to. Let him incorparate a step back or a Dirk fadeaway and a simple crossover or spin move and the sky is the limit.

15. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

Yep, exactly. He can be at least as good a ballhandler as someone like Dirk, and the way he plays, that's all you need. He's just missing shots right now and those will start falling. Had he gotten off to a hot start in SL playing the exact same way we wouldn't be hearing any of this "he's just a 3&D guy" talk.

It's a predicable repeat of last year during SL. He'll be just fine and will definitely improve his handles with some time.

16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

If Jabari Smith was a very good ball handler that can create separation and drive in the basket at will, he would already be the consensus no.1 pick and the best prospect in the entire league, over even Doncic. There is no existing prospect that is 6'10" with defensive potential to guard 1-5, that is also regarded to be the best shooter in the draft, and can handle the ball like a guard that can score at will near the basket.

The point is the Rockets picked up a prospect that clearly has flaws, so the question is how much they can improve these aspects by. Expecting the 3rd pick to basically be a bigger and better version of rookie Durant is silly, because he won't even be available at that spot at all.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

My point is having handles isnt the be all and end all. You keep saying you dont remember a single player without any handles becoming a star but you keep ignoring the names people throw at you. Kd? Nobody said KD, he had elite handles coming out that why he was no 1/no 2 in his class. Klay is 6'5 dude, Jabari is 6'10 dont you think he'd have better handles? Plus Klay was 21 when he started playing. Kat averaged all of 1 ast when was in college and how do you know Aldridge had better handles than Jabari? Aldrige averaged 0.6 asts plus he was a Soph draftee.

Like I said playmaking/ballhandling is just one aspect of a basketball player, its not more important than other aspects in terms of determining floor and ceiling. For a big man esp shooting, defense and rebounding are a lot more important than ball handling.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  18. my time to shine

And we lucked out with the yung Jalen Green

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

People have thrown these names around here daily lol, don't blame me. I already mentioned the things about KD and Klay to said posters, not sure why you're going at me instead.

Because there's tape available and if you only go by apg you are completely misguided, apg by itself doesn't say anything about handles or playmaking outside of the team's system.
    KAT and Aldridge had significantly more advanced games than Jabari coming into the league.

No one said different, but if said big doesn't have any post-game and below average handles it still hampers his offensive potential significantly.

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I can’t believe how bad of a take that is. Are you serious? Guy is out there fresh out of college in a glorified pickup game with people he just met less than a week ago playing with many guys with at least a year of NBA development and HE is the one out there pointing out to people where they should be on both sides of the floor for offensive plays and defensive coverages. I don’t see anyone else doing that out there. I agree he isn’t perfect - seems like he doesn’t do a great job finding guys to box out but then again a lot of guys who spend time playing the perimeter don’t do this well…but bad bballIQ? Come on man - you gotta explain that one -especially relative to other rookies.