1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daishen Nix Hype Train

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Jan 23, 2022.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Daishen Nix will be fine. This will be his breakout season. There will be a lot of crow eating this season.

2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I honestly was expecting Daishen Nix to slim down and lose more weight.
    Very Disappointed, I thought he cared about his body appearance and wanting to guard real quick Point Guards.

Tyty Washington I think will takeover the PG Spot I believe over Daishen Nix at the end of the Season and maybe over Porter Next Year.

Josh Christopher slimmed down and looks quicker.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Daishen is still extremely young. He is a great passer. If he can work on his shooting, he can be a viable back up guard for this team.

I think he def deserves a solid look this season with the current roster.

Eric Gordon imo has zero place on this team if you want to see what you have with your young guards.

charlieaustin likes this.
  4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Nix needs to be better FT shooter if he’s going to be a serious rotation player. He’s also not shown the court vision that’s been advertised. Small sample size though.

I don’t have too big of a problem with his weight, that may work to his advantage at times.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sometimes I feel I am watching a different game than most. Nix court vision is outstanding, his driving and passing was wonderful last night, putting the ball in tight windows and hitting cutters all night long.

But I do feel there is a popular opinion that wants TyTy regardless of what Nix does.

Anyway, what I saw was Nix was our best at point. Others see something else I guess.

DD

6. vator

vator Contributing Member

Yesterday was definitely a huge improvement. There’s still a lot of basketball to be played between now and October.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  7. eman

eman Contributing Member

That putback against Orlanda was a bit of a surprise. Made me hope his ceiling will be a bigger, more athletic Kyle Lowry. One can hope...

Drift Monkey and ROCK3TM4N like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Nix was fine, he is a project and the vast majority of projects never become good NBA players.

If he can work hard and become a long term back up point guard, he will be a big success story.

pmac, jcmoon, Drift Monkey and 5 others like this.
  9. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Most likely TyTy cuts his teeth in the G league this year while Nix gets his shot at backup point. I'm skeptical he has the speed to stick as a regular rotation player but hope I'm wrong. He's highly skilled just looks a half step slow out there.

No Worries and DaDakota like this.
  10. DaDakota

No doubt, Nix was the PG playing down the stretch, and in important moments last night. TyTy's best showing has been as a SG, Nix hit him on a pass to get that floater late.....as an example.

DD

11. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

TyTy seems somewhat limited speed wise as well, but clearly has that big shot closer mentality. He and Nix could have quite a competition for backup point. Which is good, for iron sharpens iron, as they say. :cool:

Drift Monkey and charlieaustin like this.
  12. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

The thing that I love about Nix is how we drives and dish out the passes for easy open shots

DaDakota likes this.
  13. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

In the Twitter Spaces session last night...Clutch mentioned that Nix being out-of-shape, unconditioned, and playing poorly on the G-League Ignite team was the reason he fell in the draft and was ultimately undrafted. I know he has a naturally thicker body but I still think he can stand to lose a lot more weight and be in better shape. I see a lot of body fat in his face and his belly. If he had the discipline to lose weight, he would be faster. I still don't see anything that stands out about him besides being beefy physically. Good free throw shooting is the result of being discipline and focused mentally. He is still a poor free throw shooter and it hasn't seemed to improved from last season.

Ty-Ty was touted to have the best floater game in the draft and we saw that with the game-winner last night. It's something this team sorely needs. We don't have anyone else with a steady floater. Ty-Ty can also play off the ball as we saw with him playing SG last night. To me he just fits way better with the teams needs. Their is hardly an instance where he dribbles into the paint and looks indecisive or panicked. Nix still has this problem. We don't need another player like that when we already have Christopher who has the same problem. KPJ occasionally has this problem. Ty-Ty is the steadying hand we need. I can see him being our Tyus Jones from the Grizzlies. The calm compliment to Jalen that Tyus is to Ja Morant.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I like Both TyTy and Nix. Both have intriguing talent consider they were not lottery picks. It is hard to know which will become the backup point guard or if either can become a starting point guard, which at this time means beating out KPJ. I believe they were both top 20 players coming out of high school with the 3 mos younger Nix reclassifying to get out early.

15. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

It's interesting. I try to study film and numbers to overcome any emotional bias I may have toward a player to get to the truth of the matter, who really played better?

I thought Nix, although not getting as much attention was fine in the game and thought TyTy can be a solid pro.

It's still extremely early and TyTy is a rookie with Nix a sophomore. But Nix has outplayed TyTy overall from a summer league statistics standpoint so far, again SL games mean nothing, and 1st vs 2nd year player in development.

But Nix should be getting a little more respect in the backup point guard comparison from this extremely small sample it seems. We'll see what happens as time goes by and they play games that count.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

charlieaustin and DaDakota like this.
  16. vator

vator Contributing Member

I’m hopeful, but it’s safe to assume he is on the clock to a certain extent considering they just drafted his position. Nothing wrong with a little friendly competition. If they both prove to be rotation worthy guys that’s huge for the organization, but they really just need one of them to establish himself. May the best man win.

BamBam, DaDakota and Drift Monkey like this.
  17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think Nix is fine, and especially great value as an undrafted player

but some of you overhype him like crazy. It would be great if he turned into a good backup PG. pretending he is an all star is ridiculous

I am pretty disappointed to see how out of shape he is though, to start summer league.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fat
    He’s TyTyTy

rather see TyTy get more run
    @Reeko

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. DaDakota

Drafted 29 in the first round is about identical to not being drafted at all.

DD

20. DaDakota

Thanks to Dr. of Dunk for these:

At least the org sees it!

DD

No Worries and jcmoon like this.