1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. dmoneybangbang

Aside from just talk basketball in the context of Jabari…. This seemed to have started this when I made the comment that Jabari was a play finisher, not a play starter which triggered some folks. I wasn’t at all surprised with how Jabari played in SL and it’s really not a big deal.

bmelo, jiggyfly, JayGoogle and 2 others like this.
  2. xaos

xaos Member

Pretty dang good player...

3. dmoneybangbang

Who is going to play the Curry role? Steve Kerr role? I get the comparison in a vacuum and have even used it before but how will it work on the Rockets?

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

Get this man a point guard!

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Anthony Lamb

Drift Monkey and jiggyfly like this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Mmmmm Lamb Curry.

Drift Monkey and jiggyfly like this.
  7. Caesar

Caesar Member

Hope we find a true floor general and try out KPj at the 3 and put him in more spot up situations(I'd like to try Jabari at the 3 too). Right now he's Eddie Jones on the roster when you have young Kobe. Don't freak out you know who's, Eddie Jones played awesome D and was an athletic freak but not as offensively talented as KPj, and Green is ahead of 18 and 19 year old Kobe but unlikely to ever reach his peaks, but as a roster fit, they're both shooting guards and these days you don't bench your high potential kid like back then in a grown mans league. I wish his fans didn't think it was an insult to suggest a 6th man role for him. A Jamal Crawford multiple x SMOTY level career is highly respected and will earn his bag, but i guess some folk round here think he's the next James Harden want to set him up for failure with unrealistic expectations.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

A pretty good video just looking at things closer from that first game. Not a big deal since Josh plays more controlled in the NBA and I imagine Bari will get better opportunities but it should explain why he struggled to 'dominate' the SL and likely why it's likely he continues to play this way with poor and selfish guard play.

Drift Monkey and Caesar like this.
  9. Caesar

Caesar Member

the entry pass is a lost skill, bari was pissed at that poor tyty attempt

Drift Monkey and saleem like this.
  10. xaos

xaos Member

Do you think Klay would only be effective with Curry?

Although I see GSW is the perfect storm, there's not a team in the NBA that couldn't use Klay if their goal is to win a championship. Also did you see GSW record while Klay was injured vs him returning this year? He's more than just an important role player to that team. He wouldn't just lose his importance if he were playing with any other top 15 player either - which I believe Green has the potential to be.

I do believe Jabari's a very unique prospect in the sense that who he is and what he will contribute are things that helps winning. He will actually help Jalen Green reach his potential. Almost anyone we have on our roster or anyone we draft will likely benefit from Smiths defensive versatility and elite 3 point shooting. The best thing about it: he isn't finished growing as a player. I see his most likely outcome growing into an amazing #2 player on a championship team, but also being comfortable taking game winners, game stopping defensive plays, or even sacrificing his ppg knowing we acquired a #2 guy.

Drift Monkey and Hakeemtheking like this.
  11. i3artow i3aller

12. dmoneybangbang

No, he would still be “effective” but would he still be the “Klay Thompson” we all know? Doubtful without that ecosystem.

Time will tell.

xaos likes this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's sad, the entry pass is the classic pass. It makes things much easier for a scorer. TyTy can still develop into a good backup PG.

Drift Monkey and Caesar like this.
  14. Spooner

Spooner Member

Klay Thompson averaged 21ppg 6rb 4.5ast on .519 from the field to go with 1.5 steals and 1.5 blocks per game in summer league. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He had 6 assists and it was in summer league how is that not a point forward?

he does not have to be a "point forward" anyway to be a very good NBA player, you are just nitpicking.

majicdonjuan, saleem, maj21 and 2 others like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Silas dropping free game

@DreamShook

Drift Monkey and DreamShook like this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not nitpicking at all, he had a solid game from the passing standpoint. He also doesn’t have Anthony, Suggs, Wagner, Fultz in summer league.
    If Orlando makes him a primary facilitator I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

This is such an issue in the NBA that I wonder if it just a mental/vision thing. Players aren't really taught how to see when post players has the advantageous position and to consistently steal at a glance to find it.

So by the time lots of players see it, it is too late or they throw a weak pass instead of one with pace and confidence.

I think we have talked on board about how bad this has been since at least back to Yao's rookie year, so I'm no longer sure if this is really a skill that can be taught after a player has like 10-12 years of organized ball experience and ingrained habits.

Drift Monkey, saleem and Caesar like this.
  19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Damn

saleem likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And is being paid max money, I can't fathom why anybody is wanting Ben Simmons
    Hakeem would be able to do all of that in today's, he would have developed those other areas of his game, he would be more like Embid.

seclusion likes this.