1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Magic - Vegas Summer League 7/7/2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 6, 2022.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Paolo was looking more than just comfortable.

Chet is the best player. He just needs to get stronger.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Paolo was not getting easy shots, lacked separation.

His size and ball handling should give him elite ability to separate AND get to rim more efficiently.

Didn't see that at all.

J_Hunter_1977 and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Agree - you can tell Banchero has high bball IQ and awareness but you are right that he mostly bodied up smaller guys on switches or just hit tough shots decently defended. No shade because he made them, but the way he made buckets last game isn’t sustainable.

5. saleem

He got separation with ease on the big 3 point shot he hit from top of the key.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Jabari drove and scored over Paolo with ease in same game.

Doesn't mean Jabari doesn't need to work on his handles.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. saleem

I never said that. They're rookies, they have a long way to go.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is what I saw as well. To his credit he made some tough step backs and turn around jumpers. If he can make those consistently that’s a game changer. He hasn’t shown that yet.

9. i3artow i3aller

10. Spooner

Spooner Member

It isn’t sustainable why exactly? He was matched up with defensive ace Jabari Smith. 99% of NBA players can’t play defense like defensive ace Jabari Smith. Is hitting tough shots or shooting through people unsustainable? Hmmmm……

#1870 Spooner, Jul 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Because Eason and Smith forced him into really tough shots and a few of them had some lucky bounces to go in. Generally speaking unless you are the grizzled vet version of a Chris Paul, James Harden, or Kobe Bryant- those tough shots won’t go in at a very high percentage - especially not for young players. Since Banchero doesn’t seem to have that quick first step or speed and athleticism, the chances of him meeting more defenders who can hang with him on the perimeter increases dramatically in the NBA where lots of guys are labeled ‘bad defenders’ because they don’t have the foot speed/athleticism to hang with elite players but they can hang with him.

I mean look - it’s one game but that would be my concern watching that even if he had suited up as a Rocket. He still has a huge advantage because clearly he is strong and knows how to use his body to gain an advantage but I think that he will have to work on that first step or learn to play more back to the basket. Luka has a similar body type but has a quick first step and does a good job putting guys on his hip and using his strength to create separation there…but I think Banchero is going to have to grow a bit more to be able to work from the perimeter in a similar way meaning his scoring opportunities will need to be playing back to the basket or taking advantage of size/speed mismatches which he definitely has the bball Iq to do BUT hitting shots from the perimeter like he did against Houston in the last game is not going to be an efficient way for him to score every night in the NBA. Counting on tough shots and lucky bounces is not sustainable for him to get where he wants to be if he can’t create separation out there.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. Spooner

Spooner Member

So difficult shots aren’t sustainable unless you are a veteran superstar in the 99th percentile of players. Interesting because I’ve been told Jabari excels at shooting through people and taking difficult jumpers. For a rookie that is pretty remarkable. His defense is already HOF level so it stands to be reasoned Banchero will get more separation against regular NBA defenders. It’s too bad Jabari couldn’t consistently create space against a defender as bad as Banchero but not to worry because his high difficulty jumpers are totally efficient and sustainable. He’s certainly proven that much at the NBA level…

jiggyfly and Yung-T like this.
  13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Jabari isn’t a ball handler and Paolo is essentially a point forward. They are two entirely different players - we didn’t draft Jabari to run the offense because KPJ and Jalen are likely doing that anyway. He’s just a better contextual fit to our roster because you HAVE to guard Jabari to the 3pt line and can’t help off of him so Jalen gets better driving lanes and when defenders do try to stop the paint - Jabari is an automatic shooter and has the length to shoot over most recovering defenders….but the point is Jabari isn’t a playmaker and Banchero is so no one who understands his game is expecting Jabari to create for the team but that IS what you expect from Banchero and my point is - that’s going to be a little harder for him at the next level unless he works out of the LOW post(not the high post like Jabari)

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The double speak is amazing, if they have issues with Banchero not getting separation then Smith not being able to get separation should be an even bigger problem.

I'm amazed that people are trying to analyze 1 summer league and make predictions.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why can't he create from the high post?

It's easier to create from the high post than the low post because you can see the floor better and you can have more movement and space.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Banchero is overrall offensive talent than Smith and its not even close. Smith is supposed to a great shooter, but 3 pters doesn't mean shooting , it means range. There is a difference. Just like completion % and accuracy are different. Banchero can be a 50% 40% 3pt type of offensive scorer because he can score a variety of ways and levels. Smith is a limited dribble/spot shooter. I'm not saying that as a negative, but that's what he is. If the Rockets doesn't get him looks by design,he's going to be a 3 and d guy.

17. leebigez

Because he can't create space with his dribble. He's not a threat to get to the rim. Top that off he's an everage athlete footspeed and everywhere else. In the nba, when teams know you can't get to the rim and finish, which it was clear from college with Smith, teams are going to get into your jersey and really close off the oxygen.

18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

…and the hope is Green, KPJ, and Sengun are the guys orchestrating advantages and mismatches and Smith is the guy smart and skilled enough to take advantage of those plays similar to how Klay operates off of Curry and Green. He doesn’t have to create the mismatch to be super effective similar to how Klay can be a game changer as a high level shot taker and cutter, occasional decoy, and floor stretcher defenders can’t help off of.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

#FireBinkley

20. leebigez

Pretty much, but even before GSW popped with those 3 plus Harrison Barnes, they were orchestrating a certain way to play offensively. I haven't seen the same commitment to a system that would utilize a guy like him. I also don't have a lot of favor in a blind pg like KPJ. The best hope aside from Green is Segun as a pseudo axis on offense. Just watching the flow, Eason looks like what he does transitions better than Smith. Eason for the negatives in game 1, he had what like 14 rebounds?