1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Thunder @ Rockets - Vegas Summer League 7/9/2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 8, 2022.

1. xaos

xaos Member

Yup it's not complicated

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Great set play design by the Rockets - A +++ coaching

i3artow i3aller and J.R. like this.
  3. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

As you know DD, a lot of these guys are out there trying to secure their livelihoods. They are trying to make somebodies team so they gotta show what they can do. I do hope that first game was just that, the first game, and tonight there will be more team ball out there. I’m sure they watched some film and talked about some stuff for tonight. We shall see.

What did you think of Holman? That first shot was a missed brick, but he seemed to calm down and start playing better later on. He hit some 3s and got some blocks around the rim. With Garuba out again maybe he can get more run to show something.

4. Spooner

Spooner Member

So people didn’t want Banchero because apparently you have to feed him in the post and that isn’t the modern NBA. Jabari is built for the modern NBA that’s why you have to…feed him in the post. It doesn’t get any more modern than needing to stop the ball to do a post move or turnaround jumper. Of the two, which player needed the ball in their “spots” to be effective?

#64 Spooner, Jul 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Holman was the only guy outside of the obvious players (Tyty, Jabari, Eason, Josh) that looks like a keeper.

Yeah, he came in nervous, but he never did more than what was asked of him like some others did.

clos4life likes this.
  6. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

The best way to secure their spot on this team (or another) is by playing team ball.
    Banchero clearly would have been the better pick, as his game isn't as limited. I see why the Rockets tried to trade up to #1 when they realized Orlando was going to get him (I don't believe the Rockets tried to trade up to make sure they got a player who didn't even want to work out for them). Banchero didn't need to be in a certain spot. Dude can go from anywhere. Jabari will be a great role payer (until he develops more of his game), but Banchero and Green would have been special.

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

People didn't want Banchero because he and Sengun can't be played together defensively. I have no issue with a big man that needs to get the ball in their spots, that can guard across the board and also shoot great from distance.

glimmertwins and Milos like this.
  8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

People didn’t want Paolo because he doesn’t project to be a two way player and we already have several guys on the roster who are weaker at defense than offense.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Silas said he's going to have him on the parameter as a 3, which is what I thought initially since he's so slim.

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Sure, give him the ball in the post.. But, I want to see him putting the ball on the ground and going to the rim even if it looks awkward and leads to turnovers.

The mid range jumper should be an option but not THE option.

11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Two things I'm hoping doesn't happen:

1) Thunder beating us

2) Chet has a big game while Jabari shrinks

clos4life and tinman like this.
  12. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

hopefully someone talked to Josh and told him to chill out and be a point guard not wanna be point god

13. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

Garuba playing tonight?

14. Milos

Milos Member

Put the ball in TyTy's hands tonight
    He was the only guy looking to setup others last game anyway
    Let him showcase his natural feel for playmaking by setting up Bari all night for easy C&S off variety of pindowns, double high screens, etc...

Wait, what am I saying, this is still a Silas joint
    Just roll everyone out there and hope for organic development

clos4life, rkh-dog and Hakeemtheking like this.
  15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

DeBeards likes this.
  16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chet going off would cause nuclear over reaction on Clutchfans

they are playing Giddley right ? They should beat us playing a starter in summer league

17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Ugh…another year where Garuba starts the season playing catch up on the Vipers.

18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Agree - we more than likely lose this one but the lesson for casual fans is this is more like a scrimmage than a real game - it’s literally where we experiment with what players can do - it’s NOT about playing the best way to win. This is just about getting useful data points about new players so the coach can figure out what they are/aren’t capable of for the season to see areas we need to develop, holes in our roster skills wise, etc. summer league is the place where we answer questions like - can Royce White actually play the point forward in the NBA…or is Josh Christopher really a playmaker(not really from last game), etc

tinman likes this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jabari better get at least 15 shots today

JC, stop trying to show out and give us some semblance of organization on offense

u can’t be selfish and suck in SL…pick a struggle

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

DeBeards and Salvy like this.