1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There's no method to the madness

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Jul 8, 2022.

1. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

That's easier said than done when you are dealing with a bunch of grown men. Wood would often blatantly ignore open players. You think Silas wasn't telling him to make that pass? At a certain point you just tolerate a guy like Wood to keep his value up and then move him.

Easy and Xopher like this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I want him to succeed with the help of the assistants. He does need to stamp his own authority. I admit it's not easy to coach a bunch of youngsters.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So you're saying the Rockets ran an Iso 5 out on every single play, at the instruction of the coaches?

I guarantee you that you're wrong - don't even have to rewatch

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is literally the job.

DD

#124 DaDakota, Jul 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    fattz likes this.
  5. SamFisher

You were telling us that Green was a bust, needed to be benched, etc ad nauseam until about March - when was this conversation supposed to be?

6. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

DD refuses to work with anyone other than Ass Men

Drift Monkey, aaquaa and DaDakota like this.
  7. Xopher

Xopher Member

I agree. I wonder where there development would have been if Wood wasn't playing last year. However, we don't know if that was a Stone or Silas decision. Stone .ay have wanted to "showcase" Wood to try and get a good trade return. This year there is no excuse to not see faster improvement in development.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, yeah, I get the point. He's the one who tells the one who tells the players to do the right things on the court.

DaDakota likes this.
  9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I was disappointed in JC. He played waaaay too selfish.

I know he's still a young player trying to make a name for himself in the league, but that will come for him in the regular season. If he's going to be out there on the court during summer league he should take on more of a leadership role getting the new guys in good position on both ends of the court. It was completely useless having him out there.

aaquaa and Verbal Christ like this.
  10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I think this is the one thing that everyone agrees on; JC played very selfishly and it was disappointing to see.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

The big question as far as ClutchFans goes is:

At what point can we start blaming Lionel Hollins for everything?

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think at the start of the season, and I believe Green would have come along faster.

DD

13. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The job is to try to get guys to listen to you but some guys won't. It's not just on Silas to bench a guy that the team might view as an asset they want to move in the future. If Stone thinks playing Wood is better for the long term then Silas can end up stuck with playing a guy he doesn't want to.

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, you made my point. Because Kyrie thinks differently, has different view points does not make him STUPID or an IDIOT as you might think. He just see the world from a different point of view. And although, I disagree with most what he says, if you actually read up on Kyrie, you would see that he is actually highly intelligent.

In addition, you mentioned that Mediocre Teams do not get good picks, I think the Spurs got a good pick in Khawi, I think the Bucs got a good pick in Giannas, I think the Raptors got a good pick in Scottie Barnes and I think the Rocketsgot a good pick in Yao, when they were not trying to tank.....so, you don't have to tank to get good picks.

Finally, on Silas. His teams have not shown improvement. They do not do one thing well. A good coach implement standard and build on that. I just do not see it. However, it's a difference of opinions.

15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Good point. The players improved and I think that was largely due to getting familiar with the Pro Game and individual coaching from the assistants. Which Silas did when he was an assistant with LeBron, Curry, etc.

However now that he's a Head Coach that is in charge of TEAM SUCCESS he's fallen short!

16. BullRider

BullRider Member

rockets are very young so that & more comes with time. silas is on the hot seat tho.

17. SamFisher

Dude you spent the first 4 months telling us he didn't earn the starting job and needed to "learn from the bench"

I can't even can't anymore man.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  18. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

If Silas gets us victor Wembanyama he can finish out his last year

19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

You don't have to have low IQ to have dumb opinions and yes, opinions can be wrong or dumb. How smart Kyrie is, or how smart you think he is, is irrelevant to how dumb some of his beliefs are. If you can't comprehend that, don't know what else to tell you.

Reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your strong suit. There is a difference between a getting a good draft pick and drafting a player that ends up being good. You can definitely draft a good player with a lower pick (Kawhi at 15), it's just pretty rare. Sometimes teams luck out though. Having a GOOD pick however, means you increase your odds of potentially getting a GOOD player. Both the Raptors and the Rockets for example sucked REALLY bad to get the picks that turned into Barnes and Yao. Raptors won less than 30 games. When we got the pick for Yao, we finished the season under 30 wins which was really bad.

His teams have not shown improvement because we were not trying to win. How you can't grasp that very simple fact is pretty mind boggling. Winning was not his focus. His focus was individual development for our young players and seeing how Green, Sengun, and KPJ have all progressed, it's kind of hard to argue that he didn't succeed.

20. marinara

marinara Member

By what standards though?

The team was tanking what are you really expecting ?

By the look of the roster doesn’t seem the organisation is too bothered about wins either next season. I am not riding Silas d*** or anything but the team was supposed to lose how else are you supposed to rebuild without getting a high draft pick?

For instance what is your expectations this season for the Rockets overall?

Drift Monkey likes this.