1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Magic - Vegas Summer League 7/7/2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 6, 2022.

1. bmelo

bmelo Member

i could risk everything

Mr. Dominant, DeBeards and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

DeBeards likes this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

if its the later then why risk upsetting jalen green ?
    [​IMG]

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Did you see OKC the other night. They clearly had some semblance of a game plan

clos4life and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he said postgame hell get more shots when he learns our system

DeBeards and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

some things never change
    [​IMG]

clos4life, DeBeards and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yep, but in the future we already won 5 championships and jalen won 3 finals MVPs in a row

red5rocket and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

sengun should be the lead PG of the houston rockets...hes a magic johnson in comparison to these scrubby 3point chucking ballhogs

Mr. Dominant, clos4life and bmelo like this.
  11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I think this has to be a clutchfans record... a fan-firing the head coach after the first game of the summer league!

12. hakeemthagreat

Sengun's defense is trash against other bigmen, let alone guards. Please stop

13. bmelo

bmelo Member

its not great but its not trash. way better than wood or 6'0 pj

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. swakid8

swakid8 Member

Bro, it’s the summer league…….Pump the brakes some…

15. conquistador#11

I'm not asking for them to run the freaking triangle offense but just pass the ball if they are wide open. ' It's summer league' is not an excuse because other teams are giving their top pick the bol. I didn't go through 10 illegal links to watch Nix and JC hog the ball.

#1755 conquistador#11, Jul 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  16. Calvin Murphy's Law

Disclaimer: I only watched the first half in its entirety (minus the first minute, which I spent watching the 22nd pick of the NHL draft), and caught some second half highlights this morning. Please discount my opinion appropriately (every SL opinion should already be heavily discounted).

This was a rough, even if largely meaningless, game.

I like Josh Christopher. He was one of our bright spots last year, and was probably our best player on the court yesterday.
    Having said that, there's not much reason for him to be there. It doesn't help him, and it doesn't help the new guys.
    I'd hope the Rockets just let JC have a nice vacation in Vegas for the remainder of the SL.
    But given how poorly this game went, I can see his staying to avoid risking the Rockets being embarrassed.
    I do want to see him grow his playmaking more, which was pretty clearly something Silas mentioned as well during one of those awful courtside interviews.

I just don't see it in Nix.
    I understand there's probably a huge gulf in quality between the G-League and the NBA, but I'm not sure the same explanation holds when comparing the former to the SL.
    He looks slow, not particularly creative, and his free-throw percentage scares me.
    I hope he proves me wrong, and I'm perfectly fine giving him backup PG duties for some time during another obvious tanking season, but I'm honestly not expecting him to be an NBA-caliber player.

TyTy did okay. Nothing special admittedly--KPJ's starting spot seems safer than ever--but competent. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes backup PG duties by the season's end.
    He didn't take many shots, but we saw some of his nice floaters. He has a good touch. He's also a tad slow and unathletic (not sure if slower or more unathletic than Nix).

These guys were either undrafted, or drafted well after the lottery.
    Consequently, my expectations weren't very high for them, and thus I wouldn't say I'm disappointed by any of them. (And JC has already clearly outplayed his draft position IMO).

Eason is a conundrum, a very difficult prospect to project.
    His defensive potential is through-the-roof. Good motor, great size, excellent at crashing the boards.
    His offensive game is raw. His shot makes me wince, really bad form.
    Most of his offensive highlights in from LSU involved either shooting 3s, or putting his shoulder down and charging for a layup. I think that was largely still case in this game (0 assists), but he had that one layup where he looked like (a less fluid) MJ.
    He's an older prospect at 21, so it might be a tad too optimistic to expect too much of a refinement from his offensive game.
    But even with marginal improvements, I can see Eason being in the association for a long time.
    The Kawhi ceiling may be a pipe dream, but one that I'm allowing myself to have for now.
    I think he may turn out to be our best pick in this draft.

I was underwhelmed by Jabari.
    Admittedly, I was never too much of a fan of his game--I had Chet and Paolo as tier 1, and wanted to explore trading down from 3 if Jabari fell to us. I also understand how heavily reliant he is on guard play, which is all but inexistent in the SL.
    But his lack of creation was the primary reason for my hesitance with this pick, and this game did nothing to dissuade from having that concern.
    I thought Paolo actually defended Jabari pretty well (even if Jabari got past him once or twice) by just giving him zero space, and forcing him to put it on the floor.
    Jabari picks up his dribble too much, and his drives looked a bit awkward (Paolo blocked him once cuz Jabari decided to finish a layup with the wrong hand). When was the last time a non-center was drafted with handles worse than Jabari? Stromile Swift?
    His defense didn't stand out either. I thought Banchero played better defense than Jabari (though not stellar either), while shouldering much of Orlando's offensive game.
    Again, sample size is low, and the SL's chaotic selfishness makes it hard for a player like Jabari to thrive. Did anybody even try to set a screen for him?
    Jabari is also *very* young, and has a nice looking frame. He'll get a lot stronger, which I think will help on both ends of the floor.
    But I was hoping for more still. We saw a lot of his reported weakness and very little of his reported strengths.

Unless KPJ, Green, and Sengun make huge leaps in the off-season, this is gonna be a bottom 3 team in the association again.

Please, no more games at 20:00ET...

clos4life, tehG l i d e and zeeshan2 like this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

So back to its only summer league for 3rd straight season now?...LOL as if during the year they dont play the same style of bb...
    find a new slant, i guess if youre a silas mother its ok to defend your son but do it with some sense and congruity...

tehG l i d e likes this.
  18. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

Has Jalen Green even mentioned the selection of Jabari?

cheke64 and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOL Sengun is one of the best defenders on the rockets....
    find a new slant...

clos4life likes this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I missed the game. Did we overreact?