1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Open Mic/Stand-up

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheJuice, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

@Haymitch

ThatBoyNick and TheJuice like this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I did open mic standup a few years back .. Best advice I can give is
    1. Realize every crowd is different everytime you go... My best show was my very 1st time... I thought it was easy afterwards. Got a reality check the 2nd time I performed..
    2. Have a strong opening joke.. If that 1st joke don't cross, you're pretty much ****ed!
    3. The earlier the better.. Drinks are flowing and people come to laugh even if it's not funny... Wait too long to perform and the crowd has already checked out..

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  4. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Good for you, I don't think I would have the nerve to get up and do that............even worse if they were not laughing. Good luck, as another poster said, the worst is behind you, get back on that horse!!!

5. Roscoe Arbuckle

I think my buddy could do this. He's always great at toasting folks.

As for me, never done open mic comedy, but I recall doing an open mic doing "Wicked Game" and the band didn't know it. Talk about an Awful song to do mostly acapella. That was the most awkward I ever felt on stage, and I had to keep going.

6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Not going to make you feel better, but I am in awe of people who put themselves out there like that...That's really worth a clap in and of itself...

7. VanityHalfBlack

There should be an annual clutchfan members open mic stand off. I’d pay money to see that live.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  8. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

There's some legitimately funny people on here for sure. Sometimes they're even intentionally funny.

9. CrixusTheUndefeatedGaul

Supporting Member

Making people laugh is one of the toughest things to do. Either you have it or you don’t. Props to you for having the guts to get up there. My friends and families always thought that I am naturally funny, but the thought of standing up there and facing the crowd.....no thanks.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Pfft, making people laugh is easy, it is much bigger talent if you can make them cry like Stephen Silas.

DD

11. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

What about roofing in the middle of July as a red head??

Squirtle, TheJuice and Xerobull like this.
  12. King1

King1 Contributing Member

What about posting a 100, 000 times and never doing that?

13. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Thats something of a dark comedy

King1 likes this.
  14. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

LOL.

15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Even better if after the set everyone has to guess the username.

16. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

17. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Stand-up isn’t hard if you understand the math of writing jokes.

Today’s open mic comedy seems to lack that math. Ironies, word play and being clever seems to have taken a back seat to odd stories, misplaced profuse profanity and “I’m single… shocker”..

If I can give any advice is would be reach for obscure concepts. An audience can only take so much relationship, drug and FML, material.

Impress them with humorous insight first, your sense of humor will eventually catch up.

I don’t work in Houston a bunch because the cruise ships have swept me off by feet, but I’ll be headlining the Riot Comedy Shows at Rudyards on 7/22,23 & 30.

If you can make it, stop by and say hi. I’d love to meet you. My name is Billy.

18. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Appreciate it. I dont live in TX but lets talk.

Ive been told before Im good at taking mundane events and making them into funny stories. Maybe thats my angle

Squirtle likes this.
  19. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Alright gents...I'm retooling my set completely and doing it again...because life's too short.

I'm thinking I dump any and all trans stuff...way too niche and I think some audience members thought I was punching down.

Ive always liked telling stories and am apparently quitr good at it. I feel like crafting a real life story, told at the right pace, could deliver better than quick one-liners.

Also, I went stone cold sober last time. I definitely dont want to be sloppy...but I think a little social lubricant will help with thr stage fright

Another Brother likes this.