1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT and OU Reaching Out to Join SEC

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by MadMax, Jul 21, 2021.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Problem is that he needs to make assurances that he simply cannot make. One being that no other PAC team is going to leave despite a number of teams desperately trying to get out. Two that X number of worthwhile Big 12 teams are willing to jump to them which I don’t see happening without a lucrative tv deal and conference security in place.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I guess Switzerland didn't feel like existing anymore... or at least the banks left.

Hats off to the Big 12 for pulling out the ol' Uno reverse after being left for dead just a year ago.

[​IMG]

MadMax and TheJuice like this.
  3. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

For sure. Especially with the Big 12 bringing in more teams.

4. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

So I looked up the original video for that meme and...I pictured it funnier in my head.

5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Let’s see what happens after the Pac 12 gets through their window with fox and espn. I would not be shocked if apple has their own eyes on the pac 12.

6. gucci888

Do you think apple or another streaming service is enough to keep a conference together? Honest question. Another potential option:

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The world runs on contracts and spreadsheets, not alliances and handshakes.

All this noise is just that until we see something with signatures and details.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Seeing tweets from media sources saying that North Carolina, FL State, Clemson and Virginia are all negotiating to join the ACC...and ESPN is trying to void their TV deal with the ACC. If that happens, that effectively kills the ACC outright. I would imagine that the Big 12 would start talking to Miami really quickly, to have another presence in Florida.

Oregon and Washington are the only things keeping the PAC 12 alive as of right now...and both would jump at a chance for a Big 10 invite....I imagine this news about the SEC poaching the ACC will likely make the Big 10, who has said they're just waiting on Notre Dame, reach out to Oregon and Washington sooner rather than later. The remaining PAC12 schools would be fools to not get off the ship as quickly as possible.

I THINK you're going to see Utah, Arizona State, Arizona and Colorado join the Big 12...I imagine they'll try to add two more (and I'm assuming Miami would be number 1 on that list).

Imagine being the Duke athletic director this morning. If the rumors are true, your conference based media dollars are about to be toast. Do you continue to field a football program? It's not cheap to do so. You at least have to consider moving on from that. A bunch of other schools will do the same. What about Stanford? Where do they fit now? There's some great football history from that school. All the teams that will get left behind in both the ACC and the PAC12 will, presumably, try to make things work in a smaller tiered conference...but will media dollars be sufficient to justify that given where it seems all of this is headed.

I say again...do whatever you want to college football....please just leave the March Madness tournament be. Please don't break that up.

Pringles, TheJuice and mtbrays like this.
  9. MadMax

Totally agreed...it's just that with conference realignment it seems that the "oh my god, that won't happen" rumors pan out more often than they don't.

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The "oh my god that won't happen stuff" doesn't usually get leaked though. It just explodes onto Twitter in a Friday news dump.

Things of little consequence get leaked all the time, because it's all posturing. Dennis Dodds has been particularly showing his hand these last few weeks as a complete mouthpiece with little to no investigative prowess. He is just a megaphone for each conference's public relations department. The college football version of our very own Pancakes™.

MadMax likes this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Bring it. Good luck with yalls pee-pee conferences. bUt we mIgHt GeT ariZoNaaaaa, Th3y'Re g00d at b@askbAll.. Lulz.

Brando2101 and TheJuice like this.
  12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Gradually, then suddenly.

[​IMG]

Begun, the super conference wars have.

Kim, jiggyfly and Ziggy like this.
  13. MadMax

honestly, i could not care less about it from a football perspective. watching the same teams play year in and year out while the Vanderbilts and Aggies of the world pretend it's about them too because of a conference affiliation is boring af. we've already had that for years now. same old.

just leave hoops alone.

Buck Turgidson, TheJuice and leroy like this.
  14. gucci888

At this point, nothing should be all that surprising. The PAC and ACC are literally fighting for their lives so a bandaid to survive another season really isn’t out of the question.

MadMax likes this.
  15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Yes. I think it’s possible apple or google puts significant more monetary value on pac rights than ESPN does for a variety of reasons. How much more is the question. If one of them can offer a stupid number to the pac 12 teams plus a few big 12 teams then you might see another grant of rights. Will that happen? Probably not, however it is a weird part of the equation given the current blackout period when the pac12 can only talk to fox and espn.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Vanderbilts and Aggies?

How are they in the same universe?

Some real salt in that post.

Ziggy likes this.
  17. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

I see his point though, college football is dominated by a few select schools. Most of the rest (maybe not A&M) are hangers on. That said, I don't mind as long as the passion is there, and it generally is for most schools in the Midwest and South. In some ways, I think it's almost easier nad more fun to be say a Golden Gophers, West Virginia, or South Carolina fan. Expectations are lower so having a season where you beat a rival and play in a bowl game is a success. Whereas it's hard when your team is constantly expecting to be in the championship conversation...also it makes your fan base pretty ****ing obnoxious (it's why I hate Bama fans)

18. Buck Turgidson

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's because they're in the same conference.

Pat and TheJuice like this.
  19. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Yeah A&M is at least competitive though and beat Bama.

Ziggy likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's not what he was saying, he was saying that the Vanderbilts and Aggies of the world are only relevant because of the conference.

But you know that and just wanted to slam the Aggies.

I guess you think UT belongs in the equation as well right?:D