1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I wonder what Kc wants for AB? Dude would rake in this lineup

Phillyrocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Although our bullpen has been a strength thus far, let's go get another stud, high leverage relief pitcher. The games get short in the playoffs, and I'll take all the talented arms we can get. If we can replicate the Ryan Pressly trade from a few years ago, we're golden.

Right now, are we rolling with a foursome of Stanek, Neris, Montero, and Pressly. Which other bullpen arms do we trust in the playoffs? The playoffs are a different beast, can these 4 step up and hold a 1 run lead against a top offense? Can we rely on Playoff Maton showing up (was very meh during the season for us, but then was fantastic for us in the playoffs).

A lot of questions, just get another talented arm, decrease our risk/over-reliance on the current bullpen.

3. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

And OP is going to say "Did Leon hit .150?" even though .177 isn't much greater and I believe Maldy has a higher OBP and SLG right now than Leon did in 2018. It's a fruitless endeavor. He wants Contreras. I can't blame him because this Astros lineup with Contreras would be crazy, I just don't see it happening.

4. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

I think all teams will be looking at bullpen help as teams seem to pull starters a little quicker in the playoffs (at least recently), and therefore your bullpen becomes that much more important.

With the Astros, a lot depends on what they feel they would be getting from LMJr. As they watch him progress towards the deadline, hopefully they have a better idea of where he is at and whether they will get anything from him this year. If they feel like he might be able to give the team a few innings, then he could be added to the bullpen and we would have Pressly, Neris, Montero, Stanek, Maton, LMJr with Urquidy in a long relief role. That would be nice. If they feel like Lance can get them some starts, then switch out LMJr with Garcia, and you still have a pretty good bullpen. But if they can get that one more bullpen guy (and maybe a guy for the future like the Straw trade using Chas), then they should do it.

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

LOL, you are comparing yourself to a major league pitching staff

crose and texans1095 like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Don't forget Vasquez, the other half of their tandem. He slashed: .207 .257 .283 .540 in 80 games (269 PA)

The Beard likes this.
  7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I really want to see Yuli get red hot for the rest of the season.

everyday eddie and The Beard like this.
  8. raining threes

Not at all.

I'm just saying it's not as big of a deal as some here are making it out to be.

If Maldy was to tear up his knee tomorrow and Lee has to catch, do you think the pitching staff would fall apart? I don't.

everyday eddie and Wulaw Horn like this.
  9. The Beard

Fall apart? No

But in big situations there is a lot to be said for throwing to someone you trust. Also being on the same page and staying in a good rhythm

I am one of the few on here that thinks Maldonado brings a lot to the table, and yes, we can win a championship with him as our catcher

crose likes this.
  10. raining threes

We will see who's wrong,

BTW, I hope I'm wrong.

11. The Beard

The whole thing is weird to me. We can win 107 games with him as our catcher, but can’t win a title?

Anyway, yes we very very likely will see cause I think the chances are very slim anyone other than him is our catcher in the World Series this year

crose, texans1095 and raining threes like this.
  12. raining threes

Big difference between the regular season and the playoffs.

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. The Beard

Yep, and this team has proven over and over it has what it takes to win big in the playoffs.

A guy like Maldonado becomes even more valuable in big games too

14. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

but its also incredibly foolish to just assume that Maldy makes a net zero difference with the pitching staff over a player like Lee, a guy who has played like 2 MLB games. Or even that the difference is small, if thats what you’re saying. Its a huge difference.

15. raining threes

I'm talking about trading for a veteran catcher.

16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

My bad

I was going off your kory lee comment

raining threes likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Yep, the likelihood of a PH in a late and close situation increases dramatically in the postseason.

18. raining threes

Are you comfortable enough with the bench?

19. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

20. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I believe our Bench is weak.
    I think McCormick, JJ and Diaz arent going to cut it in the long run for a WS.

This is a thought, I had.

trade for Josh Bell (Solomon, Ivey and Santos)
    Look into Acquiring Trey Mancini. (McCormick, J.J. Matejevic and Jonathen Bermudez)

Grab Andrew Chaffin ( Joe Perez and a low level)

Look for a Catcher that isnt to bad Offensively

Maybe and I say Maybe try and pull off a trade of Jorge Alfaro and some kind of Salary Dump maybe Idk

Yuli to the Bench for super Utility
    Bell to 1B
    Mancini the 4th OF super Utility
    Chaffin to the Pen to help keep it dominate
    Try for Alfaro I hope we could get him he is solid all around