1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets tried to trade up to the #1 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Jul 7, 2022.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

This.

The ONLY reason the Rockets attempted to get his medicals was for due diligence "just in case". Much like they asked for Smith's (and received), AND asked about trading up to 1 (after being refused Chet's) just in case.

It's called due diligence. If a player withholds medicals and the day before the draft you realize that player might fall to you, then you get concerned. Michael Porter Jr fell to 14th after his medicals did the rounds (he was projected as high as 2 by some mocks) - now there is a significant difference between Chet and MPjr in terms of the situation, but the point stands that teams like to have a look at the medicals before making a minimum $15million investment (which if the player was given only the 2 seasons and no option taken up, that $15million is a confirmed bust).

I truly don't understand the non-understanding in this thread. The article seems to indicate the Rockets big board was Jabari, Paulo, Chet. Chet seemed to be locked at 2, but when the Rockets number 2 guy was going first, they got worried that their #1 guy might go second (he hadn't been available for the Thunder to think about until the last day or so), and wanted to check medicals on their #3. When their #3 wouldn't give them medicals, they considered trading up for their #1 - but then thought "nah, let's just wait it out"

D-rock, ArtV, Trackwell and 6 others like this.
  2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think Chet is a way better fit for OKC too.
    Strange, but in terms of "fit" the top 3 guys all went to the right team (of the top 3), just not quite in the order anticipated

cmoak1982 and Reeko like this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's right. I am sure the Rockets FO was very relieved that they didn't pick Jabari. But the possibility had to be there for them to try to trade up.

4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

forsure and fortunately/unfortunately we’ll never no lol.

I just think Chet as well Jabari and Paulo were so much higher on draft boards then Ivey not to mention it’s a position of need, I just don’t see Stone passing on Chet over medicals. Although that’s def a serious red flag.

the green Mobley comparison is interesting and I don’t have a rebuttal for that and your 100% correct. I guess Stone was really sold on Green having true superstar qualities that go beyond analytics. I’m happy with that pick and I do like that it shows he’s not solely analytics like Morey was.

keep in mind I’m also biased towards Chet. He’s who I wanted in this draft badly lol.

def happy we go Jabari over Paulo though.

D-rock likes this.
  5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Stone makes the playing time rotation and not Silas?

interesting info you shared with us

Easy likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Presti was able to bring in Smith, Chet, Paolo, and Ivey in for a workout and interview…he had the most info, he had the medicals. and was able to make the most informed decision

Rockets for the 2nd draft in a row was only able to bring in just 1 of the top 3 guys for a workout and sit down in person face to face

D-rock and Trackwell like this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Their hot takes on Sengun and KPJ kind of took away from the whole thing. Talking about KPJ as a 6th man and Sengun as a low ceiling player is some of the most trash takes floating around circles of the most casual fans.

D-rock likes this.
  9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Agree on Sengun but they'd be lucky I'd KPJ develops into a Crawford like 6th man. Might make him worth keeping on the roster for cheap

10. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Funny, I actually put 1a. and 1b. for Paolo/Jabari, and then changed it later. After listening to McMahon's actual appearance on the Lowe Post, it seems much more that this was pretty standard information swapping between front offices and agents. For the most part, the agents played it completely correct; Wallace Prather realized there was a real threat about Jabari slipping and backstopped his client, while it sounds like Bill Duffy was pretty much explicitly telling the Rockets that Chet had a promise from the Thunder, which he did.

The Stauskas war room video from 2014 is probably a decent analogue for how the Rockets (and most every team) operated on draft night; exploratory calls with no hard feelings on either side. Pete D'Alessandro unabashedly calls Sam Hinkie about trading up from #8 to get Embiid at #3, but never gets to actually make an offer, and right after that, Hinkie calls him back about moving down from #8 to #10 for 2 second rounders. Stuff like this must happen all the time, just rarely at the top, and never with the #1, because again, who are you trying to deceive?

Easy and D-rock like this.
  11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Based on the articles and other reports, it seems pretty clear cut:

1. Who the Rockets favored is ultimately unclear.
    2. The Magic were not throwing smoke screen, they were legitimately just indecisive until the last minute, which frankly makes the most sense.
    3. The Rockets had concerns on Chet's medicals since his agent was not making this available to Houston, but only to the Magic and Thunder. That means if both the Magic and Thunder skipped on Chet, Houston will only have 5 minutes to figure out if those two teams skipped out on Chet because they saw something in his medicals that were concerning.
    4. The Rockets therefore inquired about trading up to avoid this scenario.
    5. If Chet's medicals remained inaccessible, the Rockets wouldn't have even inquired about trading up if they knew for certain Smith was available at 3.
    6. Rockets will likely not even have inquired about trading up if Chet's agents provided Houston with access to his medicals (and assuming everything looked right).

Basically, the Rockets were trying to work around Magic's indecisiveness, as well as Chet's unwillingness to make his medicals accessible (which is one of the biggest concerns for him).

Easy and BigM like this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, the hot takes of casuals will always be funny to me.

13. King1

Casual? I've been here way longer than you (and only one account)
    It's cool though. You're in love with a bum. Your eye for talent isn't exactly good anyways

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Every account here is just one of my burners, including yours.

King1 likes this.
  15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I didn’t listen to it but was it their takes on Sengun or just what they hear? Sounds like they’ve also heard he has all-star potential.

16. King1

Lol. Got a laugh out of that.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They gave more emphasis to the idea that he is so incredibly incompetent on defense that he will have a very low ceiling. I think it's perfectly consistent for anyone with that kind of opinion to also believe that KPJ is a 6th man despite all of the evidence to the contrary.

It'll be fun to look back on these hot takes in a few years IMO.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Sengun shows promise as a positional defender. He blocks out well for D rebounds and he is good at using verticality to disrupt without fouling.

I know that I am in the minority here but my projection on both green and AL P Is that they become at least average defenders.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Gotcha.
    I don’t think Sengun’s defense is a long term problem. He can move well and he’s intelligent. He’ll figure it out. I also don’t see KPJ as a 6th man. He either matures and maintains his role or he doesn’t and he’s off the team. He really is such a great compliment to Green though.

Bobbythegreat and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Offensive star wings aren’t generally more than mediocre defenders. With rare exceptions. He’s not ever making an all defensive team unless he really is Kobe and they just give it to him. Jalen has the quickness to stay with smaller players and demonstrated that as the season went on. Sengun just needs to stay out of foul trouble.