1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets tried to trade up to the #1 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Jul 7, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Rockets had medical documents on ONLY Banchero.....they did not have them on Smith.....

When it became clear Orlando was taking Banchero they tried to trade up - and then asked for Smith's medical records.

Pretty clear they were in camp Banchero.

No need to try to trade up if Smith was their guy all along...

DD

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Wasn't about Sengun :) but about Chet.

The article said the Rocket didn't have his medical record (given his weight, seems quite important). They were willing to trade up to AVOID Chet and secure Jabari (believing that OKC will pick Jabari). If OKC passed on Chet, the Rocket didn't think they have enough time to make an informed pick, so it would be a somewhat uninformed bet with Chet.

saleem and BigM like this.
  3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

No. Im not sure what’s so unclear in the article that people aren’t understanding it.

Yes possibly Banchero is the Rocket’s guy at 1 but it’s clear that the Rockets inquired about trading up to the 1st pick because they didn’t know what OKC was going to do at #2. If Orlando took Banchero 1 and OKC went Smith 2, the Rockets didn’t want to sit on the clock with 5 minutes left evaluating Chet’s medicals. It’s layed out right there in the article.

The clear implication is that the Rockets probably had Jabari at 1 and were hoping Orlando would trade back and get their guy in Banchero at 3. Ultimately Orlando didn’t want to risk that and of course it worked out for everyone.

Richie_Rich, Easy, Rashmon and 7 others like this.
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm guessing Stone would've been fine with a #2 pick, since he could've taken Jabari or Paolo, but he thought he could give up less in a trade with Orlando; dealing with Presti wouldn't be easy, especially after we fleeced him on Sengun last year.

5. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

This is the most logical explanation. To me anyways.

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

people are trying to make the article muddy - so as to not disrupt their pre-existing narrative...
    but its pretty clear imo - as you laid out....

TriumVirate and BigM like this.
  7. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Just be happy with Jabari. This back and forth argument is pointless because we normal fans will never know the truth.

The season can’t begin soon enough.

saleem likes this.
  8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Pretty evident Stone would have been happy with any of them. I suspect from a scouting standpoint he was high on Chet as well just didn’t have his medicals.

TriumVirate likes this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Woj said Chet provided medical records to OKC and Orlando.

Wasserman said he didn't.

Lot a misinformation out there....but you know all I see

10. csc177

csc177 Member

Correct, it doesn't EXPLICITLY confirm it, but to me, it was clear as day based on the info shared. It confirmed, in my opinion, what we all thought all along (up until the day before the draft) which was that Paolo was our guy (especially Stone).

It all worked out in the end, I hope.

11. csc177

csc177 Member

This is the exact take I had. I'm not sure how one can dispute this? But hey....opinions....everyone has one.

Yung-T likes this.
  12. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

All you can really tell from the "article" is that the Rockets tried to trade up for either Jabari or Paolo. It also appears that Orlando & Hou had some concerns if Chet was there at #3. Now lets lock this thread up so we can get to the next non-topic to argue over. For example...Is it time to consider brining back Dmo or sign Carmelo and bring him off the bench. Someone start that thread please.

saleem likes this.
  13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Read it again.

It tells you exactly why they tried to trade up, to avoid making a decision on Chet.

kjayp likes this.
  14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I wish the NBA would do something about that - doesn't seem right that NBA teams investing millions of dollars and years of a franchise's profits would have to do what storage unit pickers have to do and just guess about the contents of a storage unit from outside. The gamesmanship of withholding critical information to try to manipulate where you are picked seems like it's not in the best interest of the league creating parity. This is one of those places where the league can and should curb player empowerment a bit.

Jayzers_100 and csnerd84 like this.
  15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think this title is a little misleading. That they called to see what that looked like could just be due diligence rather than an earnest attempt to make it happen.

Like if you ask a person out on a date the headline shouldn't read, "You tried to have sexual intercourse with a person." You more just gauging their interest. Trying to have sexual intercourse comes at some point later (hopefully).

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I agree with other posters on page one.

Article doesn't make sense.

Timeline doesn't match all reports Banchero going to Houston at number 3 pre draft (minutes prior)

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well if that is the case, they should have asked for Chet's medicals too....

To me, it reads like we wanted Banchero all along....heard Orlando was picking him asked to trade up - and immediately went....we need Jabari's medical records as Chet is going 2nd.......and we need Chet's records too....

Honestly, the Rox should have had all 3 evaluated by the draft this doesn't look good for a front office to be scrambling on draft day.

DD

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's fair.

19. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Sounds like a fluff piece meant to hype the game tonight. doesnt sound all that believable to me

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  20. t s p n

t s p n Member

Rumors also linked Jabari to Orlando and Paolo to the Rockets so you never really know the truth.