1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Royals @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 4, 2022.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Tucker needed a day off. Yuli must have some of that "discomfort" if he's out two days in a row.

2. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Their starter has an ERA slightly above 7. Perfect game against the Astros today, confirmed.

Marshall Bryant and RKREBORN like this.
  3. Major

Major Member

His detractors also ignore all the decisions that work. People were complaining about Dusty starting Diaz in each of the last two games beforehand. Or complaining about Yordan's sore-hand rest day playing Dubon. After those games? Just pretend like it never happened and complain about the next move.

To really figure out if Dusty is making good decisions, you have to look at the results from all the lineup decisions and compare to an average hypothetical. And since there's a ton of luck involved, it's difficult/impossible to objectively - the best we could do is if it were clearly skewed one way or another, but at first glance, it doesn't seem that way.

marks0223 and tellitlikeitis like this.
  4. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Ewwwwww. JV better bring his A game today. We'll be lucky to score 3 runs.

raining threes likes this.
  5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I'm just glad they're actually playing Matijevic for once.

He should be getting chances to see if he can competently spell Brantley/Yuli when they get days off and for some reason that hasn't happened.

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

My complaint is how he uses the players HE DECIDES TO USE.

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

He has 2 PA against lefties. I can't find any splits in the minors, so I don't know how he hits lefties. McCormick kills lefties so I would swap them in the BO. I don't care whether they wind up winning or losing today, that's a poor decision over time.

I do wonder if this is an indication Mati is headed back to AAA tomorrow. Dusty has done this with some regularity. Brantley may be ready to come off the DL. That is not one of his decisions I would criticize. It is also possible Gurriel goes on the DL if his shoulder needs additional rest or he's a protocol risk.

#967 Marshall Bryant, Jul 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  8. raining threes

You also have to look at the biggest picture of all,

30 years and no championships. I'm thinking this trend isn't going to change this year. The team isn't good enough to overcome Dusty. Hope I'm wrong

Marshall Bryant and lnchan like this.
  9. raining threes

Dusty doesn't care about a regular season game.

I'm liking getting to see how Meyers can do batting higher in the lineup.

10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Remember when we traded Straw partially to force Dusty to stop overusing him...?

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He's getting literally one start a week with one of the guys he could be replacing out with an injury (got 2 last weekend only because of the collision putting down 2 guys)

It's funny, the organization tried to force Dusty's hand by sending Chaz and Siri down. Last season they literally had to trade a player to get their guy a chance. Dusty has been fine in the playoffs for the most part, but they have to be pulling their hair out when he stubbornly does s**t like this.

It's absurd, we may have a solid 1b/dh bat on the roster right now but Dusty refuses to let us find out.

Tuckmose, raining threes and Squirtle like this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

There's a pattern to the prospects Dusty doesn't like to play.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Ok, *******. I have been an Astros’ fan for 42 years, when I started playing little league. I have FORGOT more baseball knowledge than you ever had.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What's the pattern?

15. lnchan

Dusty is the definition of compiler... that got lucky to have MVPs on rosters before he joined.

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm forgetting more every day. I remember Cedeno hurting his ankle busting his tail to 1B, but I don't remember the year or even the decade. I remember walking into the Astrodome going to a Billy Graham Crusade, but I thought it was before they played baseball there,

#976 Marshall Bryant, Jul 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  17. raj87

raj87 Member

I don’t think there is much difference in the end between Dusty or AJ Hinch. Both have their own bugs and features. But we remember the bugs the most. I think Hinch pulling Grienke may have been the most obvious complaint about either one.

18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You sound upset. Thanks for letting me know about your little league career. That said, your track record here speaks for itself. Post history doesn't lie. Was this post made from under Dusty's desk or BOB'S? Lol bum

19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Super fair criticism of Hinch. Hated that and it probably cost us the WS. That said, Dusty will never win one as a manager

raj87 likes this.
  20. lnchan

His mistake was not letting him hit.

raj87 likes this.