1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Democrats wonder whether Biden White House is capable of urgency moment demands

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

the clown car rolls on

Debra Messing was fed up. The former "Will & Grace" star was among dozens of celebrity Democratic supporters and activists who joined a call with White House aides last Monday to discuss the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade.

The mood was fatalistic, according to three people on the call, which was also co-organized by the advocacy group Build Back Better Together.

Messing said she'd gotten Joe Biden elected and wanted to know why she was being asked to do anything at all, yelling that there didn't even seem a point to voting. Others wondered why the call was happening.

That afternoon, participants received a follow-up email with a list of basic talking points and suggestions of Biden speech clips to share on TikTok.

The call, three days after the decision eliminating federal abortion rights, encapsulates the overwhelming sense of frustration among Democrats with Biden. It offers a new window into what many in the President's party describe as a mismanagement permeating the White House.

Top Democrats complain the President isn't acting with -- or perhaps is even capable of -- the urgency the moment demands.

"Rudderless, aimless and hopeless" is how one member of Congress described the White House.

Two dozen leading Democratic politicians and operatives, as well as several within the West Wing, tell CNN they feel this goes deeper than questions of ideology and posture. Instead, they say, it gets to questions of basic management.

More than a week after the abortion decision, top Biden aides are still wrangling over releasing new actions in response, despite the draft decision leaking six weeks earlier.

White House counsel Dana Remus had assured senior aides the Supreme Court wouldn't rule on abortion that day. A White House press aide assigned to the issue was walking to get coffee when the alert hit. Several Democratic leaders privately mocked how the President stood in the foyer of the White House, squinting through his remarks from a teleprompter as demonstrators poured into the streets, making only vague promises of action because he and aides hadn't decided on more.

Then, Biden's July 1 meeting with governors to talk about their efforts to protect abortion rights was planned so last minute that none of those who attended came in person, and several of those invited declined to rearrange their schedules to appear virtually.

Multiple Democratic politicians who have reached out to work with Biden -- whether it's on specific bills, brainstorming or outreach -- often don't hear anything back at all. Potential appointees have languished for months waiting to hear if they'll get jobs, or when they'll be done with vetting. Invitations to events are scarce, thank you calls barely happen. Even some aides within the White House wonder why Biden didn't fire anyone, from the West Wing or at the Food and Drug Administration, to demonstrate some accountability or at least anger over the baby formula debacle.

Inside the White House, aides are exhausted from feeling forever on red alert, batting at a swarm of crises that keeps growing -- enough for White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre to make an offhand joke about the constant "eleventh hour" decision-making in the building when under fire at a recent daily briefing.

Several officials say Biden's tendency to berate advisers when he's displeased with how a situation is being handled or when events go off poorly has trickled down the ranks in the West Wing, leaving several mid-level aides feeling blamed for failings despite lacking any real ability to influence the building's decision-making. That's contributed to some of the recent staff departures, according to people familiar.

Democrats worry the lack of decisions and authority are deepening their own midterm problems and feeding a sense that the President couldn't truly handle the extra complications of a run for reelection in 2024 -- and along the way, reinforcing narratives that he's an old man not fit for the moment.

The President who campaigned on putting America back together again after four years of deep divisions appears to have stopped trying, supporters say.

"There's no fight," another Democratic member told CNN. "People understand that a lot of this is out of his hands -- but what you want to see is the President out there swinging."

'Throwing spaghetti at the wall'

A year and a half in, the Biden administration is struggling to untangle supply chains and tackle soaring inflation— which is by far the biggest problem facing Democrats up and down the ballot in November.

"It's got to look like you're taking actions," said California Democratic Rep. Ro Khanna. "Any economist who says the President shouldn't do anything on the economy should be fired. They can be at a think tank, they can be a professor. But they shouldn't be at the White House."

"There's not a frontline office out there that isn't frustrated with the lack of action coming from the White House on inflation," one aide told a member fighting to hang onto an endangered seat. "At the very least, the President should get caught trying to bring prices down just about every day."

White House aides say that is exactly what they are doing. In the past few months, the administration has announced a historic release of oil from the nation's strategic petroleum reserve, invoked the Defense Production Act to address baby formula shortages, and even floated a temporary suspension of the federal gas tax.

But none of these moves have solved the problems: The baby formula shortage persists, inflation remains high and gas prices, though slightly down from their high, are still hovering close to $5 a gallon.

Biden's support of a gas tax holiday was the subject of months of deliberations among officials -- many of whom were against it and privately suggested it was a purely political step to show initiative on gas prices, and only recently put the question in front of Biden directly.

"It had the appearance of throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks," one official said privately.

Bottlenecks and indecision

Sources also say that decisions in the White House are getting bottlenecked, as veteran advisers urge Biden to take the long view, rather than focus on fast responses. Few are trying, and even fewer succeeding, in pushing back against Biden's infamous inability to settle on decisions, on everything from whether to lift tariffs on Chinese imports or cancel student loan debt.
    White House aides say that is exactly what they are doing. In the past few months, the administration has announced a historic release of oil from the nation's strategic petroleum reserve, invoked the Defense Production Act to address baby formula shortages, and even floated a temporary suspension of the federal gas tax.

But none of these moves have solved the problems: The baby formula shortage persists, inflation remains high and gas prices, though slightly down from their high, are still hovering close to $5 a gallon.

Biden's support of a gas tax holiday was the subject of months of deliberations among officials -- many of whom were against it and privately suggested it was a purely political step to show initiative on gas prices, and only recently put the question in front of Biden directly.

"It had the appearance of throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks," one official said privately.

Bottlenecks and indecision

Sources also say that decisions in the White House are getting bottlenecked, as veteran advisers urge Biden to take the long view, rather than focus on fast responses. Few are trying, and even fewer succeeding, in pushing back against Biden's infamous inability to settle on decisions, on everything from whether to lift tariffs on Chinese imports or cancel student loan debt.

Biden has been mulling what to do on student loans for more than a year.

more at the link

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/07/05/...-of-urgency-supreme-court-setbacks/index.html

Salvy and tinman like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

careful. people will say you're a Trumpublican

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The issue is whether he is strong enough or is too busy trying to build a quorum when politics have shifted to combat.

DD

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Can u explain?

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol I’ve already been accused

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

No he can't. Just blowing hot air as always

7. DaDakota

One side is not interested in compromise, and Biden was in the Senate when compromise was the rule of the day. He keeps trying to go back to compromise and make deals behind the scenes instead of going right to the American people with his popular policies and Calling out DIRECTLY those who are blocking it, he needs to go to WAR with those politicians like McConnel who won't compromise.

Get them out, write EOs if necessary to go around them, go to war with the HARD CORE RIGHT WING.

Biden's agenda is the popular one, he should be going directly to the people and explaining what he is trying to do, and to OUT PUBLICLY those blocking him.

DD

dmoneybangbang and Reeko like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How can any democrat ask why should they even vote?

I mean really?

If they don't vote Republicans can take away abortion rights for all states but hey it's better to throw a temper tantrum I guess?

Talk about entitlement, let's just burn the entire thing down because I have not gotten everything I wanted.

Are we advocating just giving up now and letting Republicans do WTF they want?

Clown car indeed.

TheJuice and ROCKSS like this.
  9. DaDakota

I think the Democrats are just looking for a true leader like Obama was.......someone that is up to the modern challenges......Biden was a bandaid to get rid of Trump.

He is not the answer.

DD

TheJuice, ROCKSS and jiggyfly like this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

when you've lost DaDakota . . .

11. DaDakota

I may not be happy but I am still voting for DEMS.....regardless of whom they put up there, unless they find a person as despicable as Trump.

DD

ROCKSS, jiggyfly and Os Trigonum like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

"They" don't like Obama anymore either and don't care about what a president can and cannot do.

What other person could have gotten all the stuff Biden did or more?

13. DaDakota

Buttigig, Sanders, Harris...

DD

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Are you sure about that?

You don't think they would have gotten more pushback?

Can you talk me through why you think they would be more effective?

15. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's not what I'm taking away from the article.

Rather, Democrats outside the White House know that a passive and silent President dooms their chances to stop a midterm massacre. I don't see any entitlement from the critics in this article - they're ready to work and fight but the White House just isn't keeping up. And to make matters worse, if the article can be believed, Biden apparently comes down hard on his own team for mistakes and bad news. Human nature is such that you get blamed for things out of your control, you're going to just stop trying.

More than anything, I think many voters sense a lack of urgency from this President (and Congress, for that matter). As positive as it was to get the gun bill passed, it also has the negative effect of highlighting how long its taking Congress and the President to move on everything else. Something like student loan forgiveness or mar1juana decriminalization could have been done (or buried, if Biden is truly opposed to it) in the first 60 days but both are still lingering out there as "maybes." That's bad administration - you don't procrastinate on simple actions.

Of course there's some progressive sour grapes going on here - the progressives agreed to let the infrastructure and Build Back Better bills to be split into two bills by moderates, despite the fact that corporate pork in the infrastructure bill was the best chance at getting moderate support for the always-harder-to-sell legislation aimed at lower income voters. They even made concessions on the infrastructure bill, with the understanding that moderates would still pass the Build Back Better bill. Of course, the party moderates reneged on that, and it happened under Biden's watch. So it's understandable that in the face of massive political losses, they want more action from the President.

I still tell anyone who's listening that now isn't the time to turn our backs on the Democrats, because the alternative is even more regressive and authoritarian GOP nonsense. But this White House is unfortunately living up to my fear that Biden, while a good man who wants the best result, is often late to taking the right action.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought Biden had a chance to be so dull and boring that we'd have a vacuum collapse and revert to a lower energy state of more civil discourse. At first it was working when conservatives couldn't gain traction that Biden is a radical communist America-hater.

But they kept right on trying until they found SOMETHING that got traction. My mistake for underrating the bottomless well of Trumpublican rage at everything different from them.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't disagree with any of this, I just wish more people would look at it in the totality that you did and would stop talking about why should I vote.

Its a question that just infuriates me even if Biden had done jack ****, democrats should still go out and vote and vote in the people that can accomplish the goals they want, it's a process it took Republicans a while to get what they wanted, it did not just happen over night.

subtomic likes this.
  18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I do agree that Biden's administration is far too REactive rather than proactive.

Dems say they want Biden to throw the first punch every once in a while. I don't know if it's in him.

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

My sentiments exactly

20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Accusations by these people don’t mean squat