1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yordan Extended: 6 years/$115 million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jun 3, 2022.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It doesn't really have to trend hard, with as few PA as he has with RISP it's basically one good game.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It might be selective memory, but with two strikes, Yordan seems to get hosed a lot by out of zone strike calls.

3. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Are you f**** blind or just dense? Instead of facing the starter still in the 5th and 6th innings, he would have been facing guys on par to those he had the lowest OPS against during the 7th inning onward…

I’m not sure I can explain this any further so if you still don’t understand then IDK what to say.

Edit: And the 1st inning is his lowest outside of the last three innings…once again proving my point. Also, his best stats are the second and third innings…because he hit in the 3 hole the majority of his career so if he’s hitting again in the 2nd or 3rd inning what do you think that means? Come on man just think logically smh

Edit 2: A more logical approach would have been to look at his stats against starters and relievers where you would have seen a 16 point dip in career BA and 22 points in slugging. And that’s still apples and oranges given teams bullpens these days are more talented and deeper than ever before.

#183 Htown Stros, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  4. Landry's Tooth

I'm not really sure what your issue is. The numbers are there. There isn't a pattern where suddenly he gets worse late in the game because of the bullpen.

His first and ninth innings are roughly the same.

How does that fit your narrative that he did as well against closers as starters?

Just curious if you can defend your view or if you're going to resort to personal attacks...

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

This contract will be the biggest bargain in Baseball (maybe sports) in a couple of years.

phasors28 and conquistador#11 like this.
  6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Current OPS+ is 202. Bagwell's freak 94 season was 213, the next closest was 178 by Bagwell in 96, then 168 from Baggy in 97.

He's in the midst of a historically great offensive season for this franchise, and the advanced numbers say he's somehow underperforming.

crose, The Beard, rockbox and 2 others like this.
  8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

He might want to renegotiate that deal. In realty he’s worth whatever Judge gets.

9. HTown2017Champs

This deal bought out some of his team control years, I believe. In 3 or 4 years I expect him to renegotiate if he keeps up this pace.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Everyone seems to be getting hosed. Statcast is just showing us how bad many umpires are.

11. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Why would the Astros do that and would you expect Yordan to not show up to camp at some point? Honest question. I don't have a great memory, but can't remember any renegotiations in baseball.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We essentially gave him a 3 year extension for roughly 30 million a year, but we are paying 4 million per year of that salary over his arbitration years.

Why the Astros would do it? It's a low risk proposition since we are only on the hook for 3 years of his peak years and what would be close to the going AAV rate for someone of his ability and we get to spread it over more years.

Why Alvarez would do it? Because he's guaranteed a ton of money and he get paid now instead of waiting until 2026 when he becomes a FA.

13. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

I completely understand all that, and that wasn't what I was asking about. The poster I quoted was talking about how in 3-4 years he expects Yordan to renegotiate his contract if he continues at his current offensive pace, and I was asking him why would the Astros do that, and if that is even a thing in baseball. Wouldn't set a good precedent from a team's operations standpoint in my eyes.

14. Major

Major Member

Yeah holdouts and renegotiations don't seem to be a thing in baseball, for whatever reason is. I imagine it's related to the club control years and how everyone knows player contracts are not really always about that year's performance.

Bregatron likes this.
  15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

We know the Astros don't do 8-10 year deals so a few years from now in order to get another 2 or 3 years of Yordan under contract they could offer a renegotiation on the last years of this new contract and tack on an extension. Not sure why Yordan would do this but maybe he just wants that guaranteed money and loves Houston.

Bregatron likes this.
  16. vince

vince Member

If Alvarez played for Either of the New York teams, they’d be ramming Alvarez down everyone’s throat. Nonetheless, Alvarez has dazzled even the national pundits, so they can’t even ignore him.

People from my generation talked about Larry Anderson for Jeff Bagwell.

The folks of this generation will talk about the Fields for Alvarez trade. Many youngsters don’t even know the magic of Bagwells bat. But it was amazing how the Astros helped Fields gain some traction after being a rule 5 draftee. So Fields still had some luster about potential in him, a late bloomer so folks thought. But sheer genius by the Astros to select flip Fields for Alvarez.

everyday eddie and Tuckmose like this.
  17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Reminder of how truly great Bagwell was, and in the Dome

IdStrosfan likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

For what he does, the Astros should pay him more, it turned out to be one hell of a deal, he had outpaced the contract, keep the man happy

Scarface281 likes this.