1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jeremy Pena Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Baseball Reference has Tucker and Jeremy at 2.2 WAR this morning. Yordan at 1.4 WAR.
    Devers at 2.1 and Chisolm at 2.0

2. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's Memorial Day and the top 10 in the AL in fWAR this season is:

1. Mike Trout
    2. Rafael Devers
    3. Aaron Judge
    4. Jose Ramirez
    5. Taylor Ward
    6. Jeremy Pena
    7. Tim Anderson
    8. Xander Bogaerts
    9. Ty France
    10. J.D. Martinez

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Would be much higher if he cleaned up his throwing. I believe all but 2 of his errors have been throwing errors.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If the numbers are close, Rodriguez will win

He was the higher ranked and much more well known prospect, and Pena plays for the cheaters

Not that either have even a remote amount of relevance, but reality is Pena will have to be clearly better to have any chance to be ROY

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Pena will get extra points for being on a playoff team and replacing a franchise player. Rodriguez joining the 30-30 club and/or leading the league in SBs will be major factors that will likely result in him winning it. Pena missing some time due to injury won't help.

7. HeyBudLetsParty

Julio has been phenomenal but I think if Pena stayed healthy he’d be edging him out. Still a long season to go, Pena will have to catch him in HRs and RBIs to win it. Assuming Julio smokes him in steals and Pena does the same with DRS.

8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I hope I'm wrong but I see the ROY momentum slipping away.

Rodriguez has been a monster since May 1st and may go 30-30 and lead the league in SB.

Witt Jr. Has also taken off and catching or passing Pena in hitting categories.

Rutschman has been as advertised and there is a lot of season left.

Pena's defense is his calling card but has made several errors that may hurt.

To me the biggest issue is that these guys were talked about more, ranked ahead, and expected to be ROY.

It's like a title fight in boxing. If it goes the distance usually the champion wins To win you gotta knock him out not simply be standing at the end.

I still hope but I'm worried it may be an uphill fight.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros get an extra draft pick if Pena finishes top 3 in ROY voting so it would really suck if that didn’t happen.

10. Buck Turgidson

This is the only real reason to care about this award.

crose and noppeper like this.
  11. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

In which manner has Rutschman been as advertised? He has been horrible.

12. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

He was advertised as a Baltimore Orioles prospect, and he is now on the Baltimore Orioles roster, sooo... that's all I got. :D

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Maybe he isn't " as advertised" but after a terrible May, he had a very good June.

He has 16 extra base hits and 0.8bWAR in only 35 career games.

That's a pace for 69 extra base hits and 3.5 bWAR if he played 150 games as a rookie catcher.

Surely you agree that's not "horrible"

Yordan The Great likes this.
  14. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Haven't heard about this. Please explain

15. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Here is something from an USA Today article:

PROSPECT PROMOTION INCENTIVE

A team is eligible for Prospect Promotion Incentive (PPI) draft picks if a rookie-eligible player with 60 days or fewer of major league service who is included on a preseason top 100 prospect list by two or more of Baseball America, ESPN.com or MLB.com is promoted and finishes high in award voting in any year before he is eligible for arbitration. The team would get an amateur draft pick for a Rookie of the Year or a top three in MVP or Cy Young, and an international selection if second or third in Rookie of the Year, or fourth or fifth in Cy Young. A team can gain at most one PPI pick in the amateur draft and three total PPI picks for any individual prospect in his career.

The only thing is the "Top 100" part of this. Was Pena in the Top 100 of those publications?

#515 Bregatron, Jul 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Assuming I'm looking at the right list; BA had him at 72 and ESPN had him at 48 (not on MLB), so he qualifies.

Snake Diggit and Bregatron like this.
  17. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Thanks for looking..I was being lazy ;)

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I do wonder what will happen if they don’t agree on an int’l draft. I’m assuming a team with a player finishing 2nd or 3rd in ROY would get either add’l intl slot money or maybe a lesser rule 4 draft selection.

I have assumed the potential draft pick was a heavy calculus in Pena making the opening day roster, but maybe not. Hopefully he wins RoY so they get a real draft pick.

Bregatron likes this.
  19. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Pena has very little chance to win Rookie of the year as the winner is selected by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. It would be easy to make a strong argument for removing them from this process now that not winning ROY has real consequences but it would go nowhere.

20. Buck Turgidson

They voted for Yordan, didnt' they?