1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyrie Irving to Brooklyn Nets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Jun 29, 2019.

1. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

I imagine the hold up would be the Nets insisting that the 2027 and 2029 first round picks be completely unprotected.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I dunno.
    Rewarding Kyrie is not help to anyone.
    Esp if the Nets take a blood bath that is Westbrook in trade

As a rockets fan . . . I want them to get the full westbrook
    and get the #1 pick in the draft next year

Rocket River

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Irving already has his reward 37M guaranteed. He could play it out or fake an injury and then go where he wants. The Nets need to make the trade for the 2027 pick unprotected which might be really good.

Rocket River likes this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

are you saying it would be entertaining to watch Westbrook play and give the Nets a bad record and a better chance at a top 4 pick? you may just be right!

Rocket River likes this.
  6. Major

Major Member

FWIW, Westbrook isn't good at making a good team great, but he has repeatedly shown the ability to make bad teams decent.

Patience and jiggyfly like this.
  7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He’s gotten worse though, older and worse

8. Major

Major Member

True - he's obviously not the OKC Westbrook and we'll see if last season was an anomaly or not, but just a year earlier, he did manage to help get Washington to the playoffs - something they didn't do before or after him.

9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Via SI - https://www.si.com/nba/2022/07/01/kevin-durant-nets-trade-request-fallout-kyrie-irving
    So back to Durant, and his purported reasons for wanting out. On the one hand, he is said to be disillusioned by the Nets’ disastrous season. On the other hand, he is said to be upset with the team’s stance toward Irving … who was the primary cause of the Nets’ disastrous season.

In trying to hold Irving accountable, in trying to protect themselves against his flightiness and unpredictability, indeed in trying to avoid a repeat of this past season—in essence, to ensure a more stable environment for Durant—the Nets instead alienated their franchise star.

As one insider sympathetic to Durant noted, “Kyrie sabotaged everything,” but Durant is reacting more to the effects than the cause, and he now views the Nets as unsalvageable. “There’s no use in (him) taking sides when it’s all too far gone,” the person said. In essence, the Nets were right in principle, but wrong in practical terms, failing to understand that making Irving upset “was going to drive Kevin away.” It’s instructive to note that for all the chaos, all the havoc and all the stress, Durant still wants to play with Irving, according to league insiders.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Well there you have it. Solves both team's immediate problem:

fanspo-nba-trade-machine-snap_7-6-2022_10-36-52AM.png

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wut?

What have Davis and Kyrie contributed to winning when they are the focul point?

This is some crazy LeBron hate.

What did AD do when Lebron was hurt did he even have a winning record?

12. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Lakers finished out of the playin tournament. At best 11th place. LeBron had a nice season. Made an All-NBA team. But All-NBA players typically don't finish 11th. Therefore, his play doesn't impact winning anymore.

13. i3artow i3aller

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The Lakers were in the playoffs before he got hurt, so why are dinging Lebron but not AD who was also on the team?

When have Davis and Kyrie ever impacted winning like Lebron, they always struggled to even make the playoffs when alone.

You know who was all NBA and failed to make the playoffs?

Both AD and Kyrie multiple times.

15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Windbag is a mouth piece for Klutch Sports... he is trying to will this trade into happening.

King1, JumpMan and i3artow i3aller like this.
  16. JumpMan

Are you sure you're talking about last season? They were always around the play-in spots (7-10) all season long. They were always below 500 with LeBron. That ain't a winning team. The Lakers won more with him, but he didn't have the same effect on winning that he used to have. Even with Davis, the Lakers still weren't a winning (>500) team last season.

It's rare that an All-NBA player misses the playoffs much less finishes out of the top 10. I doubt Davis or Kyrie finished 11th or worse or even missed the playoffs multiple times in seasons they were All-NBA. That isn't normal.

I'll make this prediction... If LeBron has better stats than either Kyrie or Davis next season, then the Lakers will finish out of the top 5 in the West. I'm not sure how to qualify better stats, but he'll have to take a backseat on offense to those two.

That way he won't be a negative defensively and he could focus on ensuring the Lakers win games. Kyrie and Davis won't need him for anything more than that. I guess it would mean averaging fewer minutes and points. We'll know it when we see it.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah it's rare that an all-NBA player misses the playoffs and both AD and Kyrie have done more times than Lebron but for some reason you think LeBron is the problem.

You are not even trying to make a coherent point.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

Windy is saying there’s no reason for LA to put everything on the table when they barely have anything to put on the table to begin with…

yes Kyrie is crazy, and a fool who destroys teams, but he is miles better than Westbrook when he’s actually on the court

hell, Russ has been so bad, the Lakers probably prefer he was missing games and taking hiatuses like Kyrie

jim1961 and mightybosstone like this.
  19. JumpMan

What All-NBA seasons did Kyrie and Davis have in which their teams finished out of the top 10 in their conference? That's what LeBron and the Lakers did last season.

It is not normal because if a player had a top 15 or better season, they usually made enough of an impact in terms of their team winning. It has happened before... Kareem even won MVP while missing the playoffs, but it definitely isn't normal. It especially isn't normal for those players to finish out of the top 10 in their conference. Westbrook on the Wizards won more and made the playoffs.

Kyrie and Davis are two of the most talented players ever, but they ain't exactly winners or leaders or dependable, so they have missed the playoffs plenty in their careers. I doubt they missed the playoffs in their All-NBA seasons, though. BTW, LeBron hasn't missed an All-NBA team since his rookie season, so he's done that twice in the past four years.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude just stop moving the goalpost and why do you keep acting like AD was not on that team that you keep using to **** on Lebron?

Kyrie never made the playoffs before Lebron went back and AD made the playoffs once before getting traded to LA, I don't give a **** about being in 10th place.

Kyrie never made the playoffs when the East was much weaker than the West as well.