1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, then the Astros had Koufax's retirement TWENTY TWO years earlier at the FOREFRONT of their thinking when they chose not to resign Ryan?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I was inline with Josh Bell, Cole Henry and Mason Thompson for Jose Urquidy, JJ.Matijevic, Peter Solomon and Tyler Ivey type of trade may need to add in a little more like Jonathan Bermudez and Jordan Brewer.

Overall we add a Bat and BP Arm and a Prospect and they get a quality SP and 5 Lotto tickets

3. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Another Interesting Combo trade

Mad Bum, Joe Mantiply, Daulton Varsho, Blaze Alexander and Dominic Fletcher
    for
    Jake Odorizzi, Forrest Whitley, Shawn Dubin, Alex Santos, Joe Perez and Aledmys Diaz.

Money wise it would be good all around. Diamondbacks are wishing to move away from MadBum last I heard but his contract is kind of shacky.

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If the Bell trade is too light then I would pass, wouldn’t give more for a rental

Don’t necessarily disagree on Dubin and McDermott, but it would be guys in that range. I disagree on them not liking Urquidy much, I would guess he has pretty good value around the league. Because our staff is SO good, most fans are spoiled and don’t realize the value of a guy like Urquidy

Astrofan59 likes this.
  5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

LOL at taking on Bums contract. I guess we would pay him that to see if he could be a lefty in the pen? Cause he damn sure ain’t taking a rotation spot on this team

raining threes likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

A stupid org like the Rockies would probably place a lot of value on Whitley. How about:
    Rockies get:
    RHP Forrest Whitley

Astros get:
    RP Daniel Bard
    1B Michael Toglia
    RHP Chris McMahon
    RHP Joe Rock

Rockies get a shot at unlocking Whitley’s ace potential. Astros get a rental late inning arm and 3 buy-low former high draft picks.

7. HTown2017Champs

Astros get:
    LHP Andrew Chafin

Tigers get:
    RHP Ronel Blanco
    RHP Peter Solomon
    1B/OF

Astros get a good left handed reliever who can also get righties out and serve as an additional high leverage arm. Tigers get two young right arms, and a righty bench bat who can play all four corners.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not bad, I would think Blanco and Solomon would be enough on their own.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I wouldn't consider that trade until next year.

Whitley has too much value to you right now with it not promised that Verlander returns next year.

Astrofan59 and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. HTown2017Champs

LOL I clearly was referring to Taylor Jones as the 3rd piece. I kinda felt like two of those would be enough but I tend to be on the side of adding too much as opposed to too little when making proposals.
    I also think at the deadline we will see some moves to clear spots on the 40-man, and will all 3 being on, it’s a net gain of 2 spots.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  11. the shark

the shark Member

I like Bard and he'd no doubt be a good addition to the pen. However there are a lot of contending teams who are having issues with the back end of their pen and this is going to drive up the price for someone like Bard.

12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

We could trade Chaz McCormick to the Phillies (his hometown) for reliever Seranthony Dominguez. Phillies have an OF need with Harper out and some young players not producing.

#1272 El_Conquistador, Jul 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    Astrofan59 likes this.
  13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Contreras left the game yesterday with hamstring tightness. Still don't believe the Astros were going to be in the market for him, but worth watching since he could end up on a team we play in the playoffs.

Htown Legend likes this.
  14. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

No, no, no on Nick Senzel. Astros are contenders. Cannot see them having the desire to give time to a player who hasn't been cutting it in 4 years. Sometimes top prospects just do not cut it. Neither do I think they will be all that interested in a guy like Boyle who is projected to max out at 30 control, even if he has an 80 fastball

15. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

This seems like a reasonable trade beginning

16. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

I'm more convinced than ever that we're only one good bat from being a complete team, health notwithstanding. Given Brantley's contract situation, I'd be all in trying to secure a premiere OF bat, allowing us to move Jake (who I really like) to a platoon/PH/PR/defensive spot. I really feel like he's our long term CF but I still have nightmares of our bats going completely silent in the WS.

Another premiere OF allows us to move on from Brantley if necessary next season and gives Yordan the primary DH spot. Not sure who we would target - Benitendi would look pretty nice - but that would require Tuck to CF.

1B is obviously a position we could improve offensively but I don't see them even considering moving away from Yuli plus it sounds like we have some prospects who they may be targeting for 1B moving forward.

Phillyrocket likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

One reason targeting a bat even tho Gurriel has turned it around a bit is that in a tight playoff game there will almost certainly be extremely high leverage pinch hit at-bats needed for Maldonado late in games where the Astros are behind. Right now McCormick, Diaz, and Dubon would be in line to get those and I am not sure I feel great about any of those guys coming up with the World Series depending on them getting a hit. So even if they don’t want to displace Gurriel it probably makes sense to add a guy like Bell or Cooper or Mancini assuming the cost isn’t astronomical just to have them available to get crucial hits off the bench. Hypothetical for each:

Josh Bell for Peter Solomon, Corey Julks, and Brandon Bielak
    Garrett Cooper for Yainer Diaz and Alex De Goti
    Trey Mancini for Enmanuel Valdez and Ronel Blanco

#1277 Snake Diggit, Jul 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    El_Conquistador and SWTsig like this.
  18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Things that the front office and/or management have said they will not do

1A) move Kyle Tucker to CF.

20. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would love to see the Astros strike a deal sooner than later. It puts a lot of pressure on the Yankees. I would love Bell.

Can Benintendi play CF? He would be awesome get and really screw with the Yankees. That's their number one target. I like what I am seeing from Meyers but Benintendi gets on base.

Phillyrocket likes this.