1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Stranger Things

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tallanvor, Jun 9, 2016.

1. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Since people are piling on Will...

I thought his drawing was wack and unimportant... Max didn't think it was all that either.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I completely get you. Considering this is 80s nostalgia, Maya Hawk did a pretty good job of being an awkward lesbian in the 80s struggling to find connection in rural America.

I will find it annoying if the show need to make Will gay too. I get the feeling he isn't a good fit with the cast so they are limited on what they can do with him.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

I couldn’t believe how bad his acting was at times…I’m not even trying to be a hater, it was just too bad not to notice

Did he just decide to mail it in this season? He was a lot better when he was younger in IT and in the previous seasons of Stranger Things

Will’s been the odd man out since the beginning…he’s like a perpetual 3rd wheel

I’d heard the song before, but that’s not my genre of music at all, so if somebody had asked what the name of the song was a week ago I wouldn’t have been able to tell them

I enjoyed following the group in Hawkins and the Russia stuff except for Yuri…if Vecna had gouged out his eyes and fcked up all his limbs, it would’ve been fist pumps and cheers for me

Beezy likes this.
  4. Sajan

Sajan Member

you are the heart mike. remember that! the heart.

boomboom likes this.
  5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Probably the first time I've seen an actor playing guitar where he actually looked like he was playing the song in the final episode. I play "Master of Puppets" on guitar. It's like a rite of passage for any guitar player. It's not the easiest song to play. The solo is a b**** to play right and I never do nor have I ever taken the time to learn the solo exactly right. When you are playing a solo that fast, it's hugely important to nail the tempo that imo is only done right after countless hours of building up your skills using a metronome. Otherwise, it's just slop that comes out, i.e. sloppy fingering, sloppy picking, sloppy timing, and sloppy sounding. You typically can't just dive right in unless you are hugely talented and/or well-practiced. Aside from the solo of the song, I believe James and Kirk play the song's fast parts using only down strokes versus up-and-down picking. That is also not easy to keep pace with and only becomes comfortable after countless hours of practice. It's funny that the actor sank himself into learning and playing this song on guitar for four months but still had to have someone else play the solo (Robert Trujillo's brother of all people). I get it. lol

#625 Surfguy, Jul 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    Yung-T, Beezy, boomboom and 1 other person like this.
  6. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He was the Amber Heard of the show.

Surfguy likes this.
  7. marky :)

marky :) Member

Overall it may of been my favorite season. Couple of gripes

What was the point of going to the gun store if they only got 1 shotgun and couple of knives and one axe?
    As sad as it was for Dustin to explain to Mr.Munson about eddie, the explanation was weird. I was waiting for Mr.Munson to ask how did he fight an earthquake to fight for this town?
    The 2 day time skip killed a lot of the build up/drama of the 'last' battle.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Agree that it was sort of weird to buy just a shotgun at a gun superstore. It’s Indiana, it’s not like they couldn’t have just found one at someone’s house.

My take on Eddie’s uncle is that he was too shocked to register the actual words Dustin was saying. That said, I think he will play a bigger ‘payback’ type role in season 5.

I guess I missed the 2-day skip entirely.

JumpMan likes this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't think Will is gay. How you gonna be worried about being gay when a MONSTER AND the government is out to kill you. It's something else.

10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

This might be the first stranger things season that I’m not that excited about watching the remainder for no reason whatsoever I don’t know I just can’t get into it I’ve tried watching the first episode but I can’t get past the five minutes…I loved every other season (especially the first which was unbelievably good) but it feels like right now they are just milking the carryover success. ..I will watch it up but it seems like same ole same ole now

Sajan likes this.
  11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I kind of assumed he was, but you could very well be right. He did literally go through hell in prior seasons, for which he might be suffering PTSD.

There was that scene where an attractive girl next to him in class was nudging him with her foot and smiling, and he apparently didn't like that. It's clear the writers want us to think he's gay and closeted, and it's hard to imagine that being a fake out.

Invisible Fan and Rocket River like this.
  12. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

It's really hard to top that first season, how it perfectly blended 80's pop culture with an original narrative simple and very personal in scope. It's really difficult to surpass the bar it set, and while the subsequent seasons haven't quite done that, they've certainly come close. The story has gotten bigger and more complex, but the show still hasn't lost sight of what makes it great, those personal connections.

Season 4 was another hit for the franchise. It may have been longer, but Stranger Things is one a few series that can be as long as it wants and I wouldn't mind in the least. Sadie Sink was the standout this season, and Josopeh Quinn definitely the breakout. Max's journey was so heartbreaking to see, and the Dear Billy episode is among the best of the series. Eddie Munson, the hero the town needed but definitely didn't deserve. Agree on Will, his acting is a bit rough. Most of his lines feel forced and awkward. Hopper's journey of self-reflection was welcome and critical to the endgame. El is at her best with her loved ones by her side, and now she has her "dad" back, a healthier, stronger, better Hopper, and not some angry, grizzled, guilt-stricken, half-drunk.

boomboom likes this.
  13. Sajan

Sajan Member

the show lacked momentum in my opinion..and it had to do with unnecessary and annoying dialogue. not once did i go...omg..i wonder what's going to happen next. yawn.

ROXRAN likes this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If this was a Marvel movie. Someone would say something like - shoot VECNA nowwwww. And "Vecna" would be looking around confused, all... "yo, wtf is Vecna?"

Invisible Fan and Rocket River like this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I hate that

The resolution is simply. . .11 is strong than 1 .. . . that's it
    Everyone else is just wasting time until she gets her powers back
    otherwise. . . .they were useless.

Rocket River

16. marky :)

marky :) Member

I thought they were going to expand more on this one thing that Papa mentioned.

This whole time One has been gone and they have no idea where he's been and what hes been doing. Papa mentioned for this reason 11 isn't ready yet to face him. But I guess through the power of love anything is possible and 11 is stronger. They kind of showed what he has been up to when they showed the flashback of him being an 'explorer' and finding the mind flayer. Wish they expanded more on it.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I thought the others made a pretty big dent with what they did. Had they not injured V, monsters would be storming Hawkins, no?

18. Beezy

Beezy Member

Quite a few people were able to successfully predict the song being played from seeing a couple seconds of footage in the trailers (and the year the season takes place). Props to the actor even if he needed stunt fingers for the solo.

[​IMG]

Yeah, I'm thinking it's a fake out at this point too. I'm leaning towards Will being asexual. He's stressed because he's had a premonition of Mike dying or something (like FrontRunner said above).

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

if Will isn’t gay, then they sure are putting in a lot of effort in trying to portray that he is

He hasn’t gotten 1 girl in 4 seasons. Everyone else has. Has he ever even showed any interest in girls?

Then the crying to Will about being different and that convo he had with his brother in the pizza shop where his brother gave the “I’ll always love u no matter what speech?”

if he’s not gay, then the show is doing a Chandler Parsons level pump fake

Invisible Fan and Sajan like this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He actually did play the song, apparently a really good musician