1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sixers Rockets talking trade.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Jul 2, 2022.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

If thybulle was as good as many of y’all think ...Philly wouldn’t be giving him up for Eric Gordon .

IvanLCPM, supa, Deuce and 6 others like this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

To be fair the Rockets seem content on keeping him around to be that veteran. I'm not happy about it but that's always seems to be their attitude.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

they’re a tier 2 EC team to me…they’re definite underdogs against Boston and Milwaukee, and about even with Miami (I’d put them as slight favorites if they have HCA)

they could make the ECF if Embiid lasts that long without getting injured

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

probably because they have yet to receive even a decent offer for him

5. EugeneK

EugeneK Member

BTW, where is cyberx? Was he really Daryl Morey?

CVcrew, ikedog34 and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I have suspected for a while ago that EG’s market is not strong. Obviously they could have had a late first for him in this last draft, but it’s pretty clear they were looking for more and just haven’t received the future 1st round pick offer they’ve been looking for. I wouldn’t give up a first rounder for EG at this stage of his career. The universe of teams willing to do that has to be very very small.

I think the vet leadership talk is just posturing because they have unrealistic expectations on his value. I would have taken philly’s 23rd pick and figured out a way to package it with KJ or a couple 2nds for future 1st.

luckyman76, D-rock and Reeko like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

agree 100%

A lot of contenders or playoff teams could use EG, yet the offers are pretty much nowhere to be found.

if I’m Philly, I’d rather have EG than Thybulle because EG can play 30+ minutes in games deep into the playoffs and spaces the floor, but that doesn’t mean that Philly views Thybulle as some useless bum or that he wouldn’t have a purpose here in Houston

KPJr
    Green
    Thybulle
    Jabari
    Sengun

that’s a fun lineup

D-rock and Aruba77 like this.
  8. Aruba77

i think he’s a very good player, and if we can’t get a 1st for EG, Thybulle is not a bad return. But given that he’s a year away from cashing in on a contract, it doesn’t seem like that much value in return. The Tate extension makes it seem even less of a fit. But when you consider that it’s only effectively a 2-yr $7 mil per deal, it doesn’t really affect things that much.

Curious, what do you think Thybulle is worth contract-wise?

Reeko likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

similar to Tate…around 7-8 mil/yr, but I’d definitely rather have him than Tate

Aruba77 likes this.
  10. thedude077

thedude077 Member

He was.

EugeneK likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

No one wanted Lowry and Dragic at one time either.

Morey is in win now mode, Thybulle is not yet that type of player. Fit is also a thing.

Rockets best players are guards (and center). Thybulle is a guard. But EGo is not only better guard, but proven playoff winning guard.

12. Aruba77

agreed. He’s worth single digits per year. I do worry about him being an anti-vaxer though given that we just don’t know what lies ahead. Still he’s not a bad teammate like Kyrie.

I think it’s pretty clear that the rockets don’t have a high value on Thybulle though, otherwise he’d be a rocket. Morey is being shortsighted trading him IMO.

D-rock and Reeko like this.
  13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I don’t believe in JEHj anymore if he had to take lead role on Sixers. Embiid is Uber solid. I could see scenaria where Philly falls to 7-8 seed levels.

Or they might get a 3-4. Less likely IMO.

14. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I think this is just something the Rockets released to keep some leverage in trades. EG makes no sense to have on the roster as a mentor. He is still in his prime, hes getting paid $20M a year, they have multiple young guys needing to be developed playing his position which need playing time, he has yet to win a ring so I am sure he wants to go to a contender. We traded all of the other guys to contenders, why wouldn't we do the same for EG? He is just getting paid more than twice as much as Tucker was, so I am guessing it is a harder contract to move from. The type of guy that is good to have on the bench as a mentor / locker room presence is usually someone not making $20M a year, and has already gotten his ring or content with retiring without one.

hahachui likes this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

28 other teams are not trading a FRP for him. Apparently the entire league just is collectively dumb.

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

You know I was thinking the same thing until I reviewed that video where the guy showed how unorthodox that Thybulle plays defense. He makes most of his plays from the side or behind the offensive player. He's such a freak defensive athlete he can recover and take really unusual approaches to blocking a shot or making a steal. He's also a big time gambler, which when he misses leaves the defense vulnerable.

I don't think we want any of our young guys copying his style, but having a guy with those skills and hustle would help set a tone on defense. I'm certainly not opposed to taking a chance on this kid if we can somehow swing it.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

DING

supa likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

I meant Sixers best players on championship contending team are guards (Harden & Maxey) and center (Embiid).

And EGo better than Thybulle. Tate is not, that's why Morey wants EGo, not Tate.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I've always felt that a contender would have great use of EG. A team like Phoenix or Denver would have had a much better chance if they had Gordon coming off the bench for them. And for these teams, their FRP wouldn't be very high anyway. Why not?

D-rock likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tari plays chaos defense.

Not quite like Thybulle, but similar production and advanced stats.

Eason also a freaky athlete with even more length.

#240 D-rock, Jul 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    Shark44 and Denovo like this.