1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sixers Rockets talking trade.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Jul 2, 2022.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s 1 data point, but pretty much everything points to Thybulle being near the pinnacle when it comes to defense

he led the NBA in blocked 3 pointers

he was 1st in deflections/36, and 3rd in total deflections

Averaging 1.5 steals and 1.0 blocks in only 20.1 minutes per game, Thybulle is among the rare class of perimeter defenders who actually sway the tide of games. He ranks second behind Rudy Gobert in Defensive Estimated Plus-Minus, is fifth in Defensive RAPTOR and ninth in Defensive LEBRON. He leads the NBA in steal percentage (3.7) and ranks 14th in block percentage (4.5), trailing 13 centers in the latter category. Any avenue one looks, whether statistically or optically, will yield a similar conclusion.

“He’s just a hell of a defender,” Rivers says.

Through 57 games, Thybulle has spent at least 10 possessions defending 41 different players. Those players have scored 226 points on 77-of-220 shooting (35 percent) and coughed up 44 turnovers. Factoring in free throws, their 226 points have come on 46 percent true shooting. The NBA average for true shooting this season is 57.1 percent.

luckyman76, D-rock and rpr52121 like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Thybulle could show Eason how to use his physical gifts to disrupt on defense

Thybulle would also help Jalen Green develop his offensive game by going against a defender like that every practice

luckyman76, Shark44 and D-rock like this.
  3. mirdirir

mirdirir Member

Ok. so as far as I could see, we debate on a 24 y/o 3&d guy with freakish one of a kind defense and .357 3 pt%. And some guys thinks he is not good enough?

If thybulle was to shoot with >.40, we were not making this debate to begin with. Also, what kind of a value do you expect to bring against a 33 y/o above average sg?

We have 2 guards in kpj and green who can run offense and uses tons of shots. We also have a teenager center to develop who needs the ball in high and low post. We also have 3rd pick guy who can shoot. I believe thybulle can be really productive by hitting open 3's, cutting to basket and collecting offensive rebounds with high IQ and motor. What we need is defense in all kinds without hurting spacing in offense. I think Thybulle is the right role player for this team who can shine.

D-rock likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And he is not due to have a huge pay increase on a still rebuilding team.

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’d love to have him, but don’t see how we get him without taking on at least one bad contract and Stone ain’t doing it.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why are you highlighting .357?

He shot that as a rookie and has not over 32% since and that's on only 2 shots a game.

He is shooting nowhere near 40% and it's not at any volume.

We are not in any position to be tying up cap space on a role player any time soon.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL. Expect tons of Thybulle materials now that @D-rock is locked in on Thybulle. :D

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would take Thybulle over Boban, KJ, Mathews or Tate.

Easily.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Been locked on Thybulle since he came out of college.

Check archives.

I favor elite attributes, especially on defense but not necessarily ONLY defense.

Reason why locked in early on players like Eason AND Sengun before their respective drafts.

I'm not going to Jonah Bolden all of them.

#209 D-rock, Jul 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    Easy and xiki like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Thybulle could provide 20 minutes of elite D surrounded by offense 1st players like KPJr, Green, Jabari, and Sengun and just score off the scraps running the floor in transition or cutting in the halfcourt

he’s a career 34% shooter on corner threes, but has shot 42% and 37% on corner threes in 2 of his 3 NBA seasons

luckyman76, Denovo, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Thybulle will be as good or better cutter than KJ.

Plus elite defense.

Rudyc281 and xiki like this.
  12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I have zero issue with Thybulle. I just don’t see how the $$$ work (unless one or both Nets deals present a way forward.

D-rock likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Thinking out of box is hard for some.

Should not profile him as an individual first, rather profile his role in conjunction within team structure especially areas that team is currently woefully lacking.

Defensive leadership, culture, communication. These elements are woefully absent right now.

And in practice, iron sharpens iron.

Reeko likes this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

I haven’t really looked into it much, but it would probably have to be a 3 team deal with the Sixers sending out Thybulle, Korkmaz, Niang, and 1 or 2 more of their low salary players

D-rock likes this.
  15. TimDuncanDonaut

I don't think anyone is questioning if Thybulle is a good defensive player. That side of the court is fairly well known around the league. Part of the question is why is 76ers selling Thybulle, when they are a win-now team? Is it the offensive liability or he's due to a pay day soon. I realize that Morey is trying to get the 'band' back together, but I'm still a bit puzzled. Almost feels like we're being sold a lemon. Do they know something that we don't. 76sers got rid of Simmons to the Nets, mental anxiety aside, the later medical reports showed his back problems; did Nets not do their due diligence.

The playoff thing is not a concern for our current team. The question is if you take him, are you considering him as part of the core (or as a rental).

Contract:
    2022-23 - $4,379,527
    2023-24 - QO: $6,275,862 (restricted free agent)

He's due for a payday, likely will command something larger that Jae'Sean's recent contract. Harden restructuring his contract and 76sers paid Tucker and wants to absorb Eric's large contract; getting rid of Thybulle doesn't seem like a cost cutting thing. Something is not adding up.

Is he an upgrade over Garrison or Tate, yes. Again Morey is asking for Eric Gordon (not Jae'Sean), in which case, Rockets should not lose sight on their original goal for Eric's trade value. Is it FRP(s) and expiring contracts, or an actual piece. If Thybulle is thrown into the deal, and doesn't hurt the quality of the FRP, I'm OK with it.

If in a vacuum and you disregard "future prospect" or age, Eric Gordon is still a more valuable player being two-way player and a part-time creator. Whereas Matisse is one way; albeit you can argue better defensively.

It's been reported that Thybulle has been offered to almost every NBA team. No takers? Or Morey being nice and holding out just for us (Eric Gordon). So Harden gets Gordon instead of Chris Paul (in Phoenix). Phoenix might be too busy chasing KD right now.

Some of the other posters have asked, it's tougher to evaluate if we don't what the actual offer is for Eric.

#215 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    luckyman76 and D-rock like this.
  16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So, Pip to Blazers for much ado about nothing…but cutting.

Seriously, how high do Sixers rise in next year or two?

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

But now we are talking about a chance (a small one) of getting him.

D-rock likes this.
  18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

For someone so useful, why is it that a contender is trying to trade him away. We are talking about an elite defender, and sixers have a team that you can run 4 offensive players with Thybulle? Surely there must be something about him. I can understand wanting a more experienced player, but then again, no one in the league seems to be biting on trading for Thybulle.

TimDuncanDonaut and Easy like this.
  19. JD88

JD88 Member

He's the kind of guy that in two or three years, you put him on the league best players and expect them to work.

An absolute asset on a winning team. I dont want JG to have to chase around Booker all game. I'd rather him drop 30.

luckyman76, D-rock and Reeko like this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

he can’t shoot which is a problem in the playoffs, and Doc is not the type of creative coach that can work around that…also, the Sixers barely have any assets so that leaves him as guy the Sixers can dangle in a trade to try and bolster the roster because nobody wants Tobias and the rest of the guys like Milton, Niang, Korkmaz, Bassey, etc are marginal players at best

also, Morey is always trying to fleece so who knows what he’s been asking for in return for Thybulle

I mean, where all these offers for EG at? Rockets have been trying to trade him for how long now?

luckyman76 and D-rock like this.