1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets add new assistant coaches

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jul 3, 2022.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Amazing staff put together to pair with the style of players we added.

It won't happen overnight but i think rockets by the end of the year, last 20 games or so, will be playing at a top half ranked defensive level.

Which will be super promising.

Rudyc281 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

who has been more NBA places, Ish or Lionel???

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So they are getting a Greek league MVP to coach a Turkish league MVP.

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I don’t like that we let weaver go .

but oh well

D-rock, Nook and charlieaustin like this.
  5. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

So who all did we get rid of on last years coaching staff?

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Will Weaver
    Jeff Hornacek
    DeSagana Diop (left to become the Knicks G League HC)

7. Nook

Nook Member

It is going to be wonderful or terrible.

Hollins is very tough, especially for guys 18-22 years old.

It will be interesting to see how Porter handles all of this, I suspect he is either going to crash or burn or really excel.

ajc123, D-rock, Deuce and 10 others like this.
  8. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

What happens if he excels? Will we talk about keeping him?

9. Nook

Nook Member

If he excels, we will probably extend him.

I have a real fear giving someone with his track record the kind of money he will likely get, but if he tolerates Lucas, Hollins, Batiste, Abdelfattah ... then he can pretty much tolerate any coaching staff. I am not saying they are not good coaches, they are good and Hollins is arguably a great assistant and I think Abdelfattah has a chance to be a long term NBA coach - but they are not guys that are going to allow the players or a disruptive player dictate the culture of the team, or be a distraction in practice. If someone is not doing what they are supposed to do, and it is an on going problem, Hollins will make it public. He has done it to a number or players. He is blunt and to the point and until a problem is rectified, he won't hold up.

Hollins isn't going to let Porter give up like he did at times last year on the court because he didn't like a play. He isn't going to excuse Smith or Sengun if they are getting over too slowly or if they are too shy. He is going to say something if Washington plays and doesn't attack the paint well enough. Last year the idea was the Rockets were all really young with Green and Sengun and Porter working on his personal issues - that isn't likely to be tolerated if it is from laziness or lack or effort or just poor concentration this season. That isn't to say these coaches won't be fair, they will, and in the case Abdelfattah players really love him and respect him - but things will likely be different now.

Hollins and Silas will not have any problems either, they have been linked for a long time and Silas wanted Hollins on his staff.

ajc123, Roomba, Losmi_34 and 15 others like this.
  10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Funny how all the assistants are better than your head coach. Silas last year in Houston.

Imanimal likes this.
  11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

This is where KPJ fails.

TheJuice likes this.
  12. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

If rumors are true Morey wanted Silas over MDA and Hollins was coming with him.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  13. alethios

alethios Member

Not a stretch either because Silas fits Morey's analytics-driven style on offense. Would be more moldable than MDA and I daresay, Silas would have had great success with Harden still leading the offense.

KingSamJack likes this.
  14. CXbby

CXbby Member

The adults are back in charge. Hell yeah.

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

throwing the food or even leaving the game are minor offenses in my eyes...lack of passion, refusal to pass the ball or not attacking the rim and settling for jumpers are unforgivable sins in my book....

everybody cracks sometimes and do extremely stupid things but consistently not working to improve, and not playing the right way is where accountability supervisor should step in...

r-fan-since-81 and fattz like this.
  16. fattz

fattz Member

Structure.

17. hakeemthagreat

Nah. Will Weaver just wasn't what you guys hyped him up to be. You made it as if he was head coach material, with no experience in the nba as one. The Rockets made a mistake not getting Mcmillan beforehand, Hollins is a perfect assistant on this roster

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. hakeemthagreat

Trust me, Stone is too busy celebrating a fantastic rebuild to be worried about looking in the mirror. We're a young team so minor flare ups are expected. Stone has done a masterful job rebuilding through drafting, roster moves & image wise. We are better off from the Daryl Morey era

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Theory: I think hiring Hollins will give Silas and the front office clarity on whether Porter is worth the contract extension.

ajc123, Possum, Nook and 2 others like this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

To be fair, most musicians in an orchestra play an instrument better than the conductor.