1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you gamble on Zion Williamson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Jun 1, 2022.

?

Would you offer Zion a 4 year max, all guaranteed?

1. Yes

33.8%
  2. No

66.2%
  1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The Pelicans are screwed. No one is trading for him and they will have to pay him to keep him. If I was the Pelicans I would just let him walk or except any kind of Pick or player for him. It would be crazy for any team to offer him the max until he proves he can stay on the court.

clos4life, Ghost5Horse6 and Plowman like this.
  2. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Depend how Sengun and whoever we draft this year work out. If they look good then I won't

3. corrado

corrado Member

The NBA is crazy these days, max for the guy who played whooping 85 games over 3 seasons and can't stay healthy at 21 years old:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...rookie-extension-worth-231-million-agent-says

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Zion has been rewarded by the organization…he has yet to hold up his end of the bargain

Is he finally gonna take his career seriously and do all that he can to stay healthy and actually play games?

this dude better not show up to training camp again built like Kingpin

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I haven't been following this dude since he barely even plays. What's is his team potential if he is healthy for the whole season? 2nd round playoff team?

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

right now I would put them below GS, PHX, healthy Denver, and Memphis

I don’t see true contender in the future with this current roster, but I can see 2nd round or WCF in the future with luck/matchups

Zion dominates the game like Giannis on offense

DatRocketFan likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I honestly can't believe New Orleans gave a guy who is 3 hot dogs away from eating his way out of the league entirely a max deal. This is how John Wall/Gilbert Arenas contracts happen.

8. bmelo

bmelo Member

I would give up everyone except Jalen Green for Zion. Put him through John Lucas academy and that's all he needs

9. bmelo

bmelo Member

no one is trading for Zion? are you insane? half of the league would trade for him, he fatten up during the injury but let's remember he still plays more than Embiid first couple of years

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s not asking much.
    Zion has literally played the same amount of games as Oden in the first 3 seasons.

clos4life likes this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

He's gonna get fat then pull a Durant after a year or 2.

They will be lucky if he even stays healthy for a full year before demanding out.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I saw a recent picture of him recently. Looks like the "Incredible Super Hulk man". Hes been working hard and it shows. But for how long?

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Radioactive player in the salary cap era. Paying max money off of potential and not evidence is how many GMs turn their teams into gridlocked rosters and perpetual irrelevance.

Both Zion and the market are going to have to learn how to price in a risk premium. The massive non-guaranteed contract offer makes the most sense.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

$193 - $231m Shieeet. How do CFers feel about pooling resources and open up a a food truck and park in front of Zion's house.

15. TimDuncanDonaut

He made his bed, will have to lie in it.
    [​IMG]

16. xaos

xaos Member

He's been working on his body fat % but if he hasn't fixed his lower extremity biomechanical misalignment he is going to keep getting injured. You can slightly get away with that when you're under 200, but he is an explosive heavy dude even with the recent weight loss. I'd argue fixing his movement is harder and requires more patience to do that than to lose 20-30lbs.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The GM and the coach who know how to motivate the most difficult kind of player to motivate will have an elite player on their hands. Most teams don't have that though.

If I'm his agent, I get him to the Miami Heat asap. Maybe they will keep him in good shape and motivated, that will earn him another 2 max contracts.

Thing is though he is nothing without his athleticism at the moment, so he better get started working on refining his game or his game will age poorly.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Absolutely not.

19. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

he actually has very good handles and his shot isnt bad for his age

The only knock is that he missed an entire year of development. I think he will be a superstar eventually either way

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

He's box office and super young. You had to do it if you're NO. I do worry about that weird walking and running motion and invest/research in its effects on his body at high velocity and landing impacts etc. if i'm NO.

I'm trying to think of someone outside of Curry who is as box office must watch as Zion. I would never in a million years thought i'd be tuning into New Orleans games. Not even with the AD/Boogie combo, although Hornets CP3 was always fun to watch. I'm talking get you out of your seat, waiting for the next big highlight. Curry. Young Griffin? Kobe/T-Mac and VC. MJ. Orlando Shaq and Penny? I wouldn't even say Lakers Shaq because hack a Shaq was insufferable to watch. Of course our very own DR34M.