1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Food) What cuisine doesn't work for you?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheJuice, Jul 2, 2022.

1. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

A good fish & chips, and English breakfast is fantastic. Other than that though...

I had an Iranian Professor, dr. Hossein Nasir (really interesting guy) who studied at Oxford. He said he only ate Chinese food because english food was so bland.

This guy: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seyyed_Hossein_Nasr

his son is equally brillant in political science

Entropy and Jontro like this.
  2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Pupusas and Tex-Mex

3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Medium rare beef and Indian food.

4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

If other people will eat it, I will try it. If I don’t really care for it, I’ll try it again another day. And again. And again. Not too many things I don’t really care for. Beets maybe…..although I’ve had some decent ones, and I keep trying. I like to cook….and being a cook, I just don’t ever want to tell someone I don’t like their food. And growing up in a house whose father had the education of someone who quit school in fourth grade to pick cotton (because he did), I’ve found a love of food has helped me to not be so ignorant about other cultures…..somewhere where I can honestly say I’ve done my son better than my father did for me.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

I will agree that Central American food is, generally, pretty damn boring. Unless you really like black beans and white rice.

Also, to whoever mentioned them earlier, plantains/bananas are nasty.

JumpMan likes this.
  6. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Also, fresh tamales. But I like to heat them up in their husk to charred on a comal and on a grill over charcoal.

Plantains fried in a little olive oil. Drizzle some honey on them. I add chipotle powder on them. That's good and they look good.

ryan_98 likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Do you put ketchup or A1 on your well done steak?

davidio840, ryan_98 and Jontro like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Have you ever tried "stuffed" portobellos, or do you just really hate (I have an uncle who can't be in the kitchen with them) the taste/smell of mushrooms?

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’ve had em before…I don’t hate mushrooms, I’m just not a soup guy

the mushroom soup was just 1 example, but even things like cream corn soup or creamy chicken soup…clam chowder too

just not for me

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Herring's a favorite in the Netherlands as well as in Scandinavia. I could never get used to it. Dutch cuisine, however, can be fantastic. They have more than some of the world's best fries. They have Indonesian-Dutch food! Yummy! Want heat? You can get it, all you can handle. Want spice? It's there, in spades. The Dutch love Indonesian food after spending about 300 years essentially owning (and exploiting) the real estate.

There are some fabulous noodle dishes, but likely the best known is the Rijsttafel. I had a delicious Rijsttafel dinner in a Dutch home, prepared by my girlfriend's mother. This quote from eatingeurope.com describes it well: Meaning “rice table”, rijsttafel is a nearly unending parade of small plates all filled with different spicy-sticky-sweet Indonesian cuisine.

Amsterdam (and the other Dutch cities and towns) have numerous Indonesian/Dutch restaurants. I highly recommend checking one out if you go there.

[​IMG]

11. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, that looks fantastic.

Deckard likes this.
  12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'll eat pretty much any food. Pretty much any cuisine on the planet has something delicious to offer, even if you aren't aware of it.

The only one I would say just doesn't work for me personally, is Sichuan food. I just don't like the peppercorns. So I can't really appreciate a lot of the food.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, that takes some getting used to. The peppercorns are another one that I don't hate, but can also do without. The first time I was exposed to them was when somebody brought me a bag of roasted spicy peanuts or something with them in it. I was like "why are my lips and tongue buzzing". lol. But my Lord, Sichuan chicken is glorious when done right...

[​IMG]

ryan_98 likes this.
  14. Jontro

Jontro Member

breh, you obviously didn’t read the op. this about food you dun like.

i for one, tried an estonian soup once… not about dat lyfe.

TheJuice likes this.
  15. clos4life

clos4life Member

Mexican food. Sick and tired of it. Coworkers always wanting to get some and I don't hate the taste, it's just so tired if it.

Jontro likes this.
  16. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

About the same for me. I like Pakistani food though (FOREIGN!).

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Nah, you can see, touch, smell and taste it too.

18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Nah, I'm not a savage man.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. body slam

body slam Member

Crawfish call me lazy but its way too much work for the little bit of meat. I'll take the sausage, corn, and potatoes mix in with it.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

But hey they sell it at IKEA

clos4life likes this.