1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jonathan Feigen: Rockets turn attention to centers in free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

You aren’t winning a lot of games next year regardless. Let the young players and see what you have.

2. maj21

maj21 Member

All of y’all are obsessed with Sengun.. he’s not starting if we trade for MT, just saying lol

3. i3artow i3aller

No one is saying to tank forever and we're not going to be doing a ton of winning given how young we are. With that being the case why not take one last bite of the apple before picks start being conveyed to OKC? This is the year to do just that.

4. 34to11

34to11 Member

Lol, Imagine predicating your team's moves on the wants and whims of Kenyon Martin Jr.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  5. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Its not just KMJ its the fact we have Garuba to who we need to see what he can do. we have to many players and not enough minutes to go around we need to see what all our draft picks are made of and if they are part of the future then bring in Free agents that will fit the team better next year.

Corrosion likes this.
  6. j@amc

j@amc Member

I did happen to catch the second half of Serbia's last-minute loss to Belgium (73-74) on July 4. After the game, the Serbian coach was quite upset as they squandered a lead, putting them in a more difficult seeding for the World Cup. Credit to Belgium; their D was terrific.

Marjanovic had a good line score (17 minutes 7 points, 10 boards, 3 offensive) but his 3 TOs were not good. The coach decided he was unplayable even though no one could block him out. It wasn't about getting beat off the dribble. They took the ball from his hands at the high post and down low.

Very unforgiving coach. Didn't look like the right decision to me.

7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Nope after this year we can't tank anymore. Cuz we owe our picks to the Thunder from Westbrook trade. Most posters here are patient enough to realize a full rebuild takes 3-5 years. So why not tank one more season and see if we luck in Victor.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

With the FA market on bigs really thinning out, I turn my eyes to the trade market and think only one thought

BRING HEEM HOME

[​IMG]

Shark44 and Big Time Titan like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

• Aside from Tate, it’s been somewhat of a muted approach from the Rockets during this free-agency period. Naturally, part of the reason for that is their status as a rebuilding team. This summer’s class was a bit diluted to begin with, giving even less of a need for Houston to be as aggressive as it’s shown it can be in the past.

But that doesn’t mean the front office is sitting in silence biding its time. Due diligence, evaluating the market for any strategic entries, is still the modus operandi. For example, the Rockets had interest in former Oklahoma City Thunder forward Isaiah Roby assuming he cleared waivers but ultimately knew there were a host of other teams sniffing around, and the San Antonio Spurs pounced before the wavier deadline.

The Rockets also have 19 players with guaranteed contracts right now, adding the final four courtesy of the Christian Wood trade. Of the newcomers, center Marquese Chriss is still nursing an injury, so it’s unclear if he’ll be with the group once training camp opens. Looking at the current roster, even with Boban Marjanović (and he’s the most likely to make the team), there is still a need to add a free-agent big man. There were whispers of interest in Kevon Looney before the Warriors shelled out a three-year, $25 million contract to the new NBA champion, but with an open two-way spot, expect Houston to use that to add to its big-man depth (or lack thereof). Some names have been mentioned here: Moses Brown, Freddie Gillespie, potentially bringing back Bruno Fernando or calling up Mfiondu Kabengele from the Rockets’ G League affiliate, among others.

D-rock, jch1911 and i3artow i3aller like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

I thought Kabengele was signed to another team for SL?

11. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Could be (Celtics)... but SL does not mean NBA team contract necessarily IIRC

D-rock likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ray Spalding was better.

Rudyc281 and sirjesse like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

next year I'm happy winning as many games as they can because it will be jalen, alpy, kpj, and jabari leading the way instead of wood, gordon, etc...

if they lose, fine get another top pick. if they win, great our young core is ahead of schedule. next year will be low stakes and lots of fun.

16. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

BRING BACK BRUNO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hlmbasketball likes this.
  17. RLP55

RLP55 Member

The ‘other’ Bruno sighting.

I’m all for bringing back Fernando Bruno AND Kabengele. I see by others post, Kab is with the Celtics SL team. Don’t know if he signed with them.

Abdelfattah is familiar with both. Kabengele actually hits 3s and free throws. Both high energy. You got 12 hard fouls on your bench. Rocket opponents stroll to the rim uncontested. Hollins changes that.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Christian Wood obviously GOAT!

Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  19. j@amc

j@amc Member

Kabengele's game has developed over the last couple of years. While he can shoot from 3, he's a legitimate lob threat. And at 250 lbs, he can hold up in the post as well. I can't imagine the Celtics having enough room to squeeze him into their roster. I have to think they'd prefer the younger Trevion Williams.

If you can sign K, I'd prefer him to be one of our reserve bigs and let Garuba play 30 minutes a game for the Vipers for a season. Regular playing time would do wonders for his confidence.

20. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think what I don't understand is what can the rockets do to not end up towards the bottom of the league? To me tanking is what San Antonio is doing when they trade established talent so that there team gets worse as a result. Rockets just are not very good yet so their record is as a result of their roster not a intent to purposefully suck.
    I think sure they can grab some free agents and buy maybe 10 wins at most but what is the point of that? It would come at the cost of young player development/evaluation and you would be 10th worst pick vs top 3, what does that get you?
    Lastly I think the face that this year is the last year we own our pick is a huge incentive to use this year to cleanse your roster of big contracts and maybe grab a high draft pick (even if it's not the 1st) and then go into the following year with perhaps 3 top 5 picks and cap room to make a splash in the free agent market or draft capital to be able to sign and trade

Corrosion and jcmoon like this.