1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I mean, they traded their everyday CF to give a prospect the every day job literally last season.

Generally trading a contributor is a no go, but I don't think Click will hesitate if he thinks we have a better option..

2. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I think Josh Bell would be a good add at this Point I wish it was a Mancini is more versatile

I like Bell to play 1st base and Yuli going Every where as a Utility

I think McCormick is a good trade piece

3. Major

Major Member

Fair - but Straw is an example of the "fringe player" I was talking about. He was their starting CF by default simply because they didn't have anyone better. Offensively, he was between mediocre-to-bad and defense was great; but their prospect was also great defensively so they weren't losing anything there if the new guy sucked offensively. He was the equivalent to Siri/Chas this year, basically. Just a sort of placeholder player because you don't have a better option (I know they had the injury this year and were expecting Meyers back, but I'm just talking in terms of how they were viewed in terms of importance to the team)

4. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Meyers is doing well so far if he can stay above .260 I would be ok with him staying and no additions.
    Our worth OF spot is wide open would like an Upgrade there,

Im still on the C and 1B front and a Reliever

raining threes likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Whitley’s performance over his next 2-3 starts in AAA will probably go a long way to determining his trade value at this deadline. If he looks good, then between him, Brown, Barber, and Leon, there’s really no player who would be entirely out of Houston’s prospect price range. Not that we should want or expect Houston to make a move that big, but just that those 4 prospects potentially carry enough value to go out and get anyone.

6. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

At this point I would not trade Yordan for Trout and a player to be named any damn thing we want. There is a bad case of the grass is always greener going around. In bad traffic I sometimes think or even yell, "Do something even if it's wrong." but I know it would probably result in a calamity.

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Trout is terrible in Minute Maid Park. When Bregman was mic'd up for a game Trout told him he has never seen the ball well in Minute Maid Park.

His career numbers at MMP certainly back that up:

.209 AVG, .346 OBP, .774 OPS

Imagine paying Trout 36 mil a year and getting that production for half his games. That's not a small sample size either. The only other road stadium he has more plate appearances in is the Oakland dump.

SWTsig and marks0223 like this.
  8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Has Ji-Man Choi been discussed? A lefty bat plays 1B and LF with a good consistent bat. He still has another year of Arbitration in 2023. Tampa needs competitive pitching to get to the playoffs this year. They also have a 23 year old IF (Paredes) who needs an everyday position. I doubt he would be available though.

9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Juan Yepez from Cards for Urquidy?

Or Odorizzi but likely not enough.

10. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Choi has a total of 114 innings played in LF. 113 of those innings were as a 25-year old rookie in 2016. Once again, I'm not saying he CAN'T play left field, but it's been a long while since he's played there.

And yes, I know Carlos Lee played LF for the Astros, but that's when the Astros were losing 100+ games. We are in different times, and this is a great defensive team and I'm not sure about throwing players around the field if they are not accustomed to playing there. With that said, I've always liked Choi. He sure can stretch at 1B even though he doesn't look like he should be able to.

11. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I would try Urquidy for Yepez maybe ask for Gordon Graceffo aswell. Yepez is young so seeing his stats might be fools gold

12. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

At this point I think the 2 trades I would seriously ask About are Josh Bell to play 1st Base from now into the Future which would mean sign him to a 5 year deal and move forward.

Thought would be for Yuli to move to a Bench role since he can play all over the INFIELD.
    offer for me would be in trade Josh Bell for J.J. Matejevic and a Prospect low end

Maybe shoot for Juan Yepez and Gordon Graceffo for Jose Urquidy and Chas McCormick.

I would see what the Market is on Jake Odorrizzi . See if I can get some thing Great if not Help today

I would Also be in the Weeds waiting with Offers on Blake Snell just to see what Prospect they would like to add

raining threes likes this.
  13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Power is power so I can't see it going away especially as a 24 year old.

I could see him simply getting lucky with batted balls ( haven't looked) but BA rated him best hitter for average in Cards system last year so the hit tool is likely for real.

RH above average run producer who plays 1B and corner OF is perfect for needs

14. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

No No NO dont get me wrong I just dont know anything about him.

Graceffo would be an Add I would want in that trade.

Urquidy has shown some turn around but not enough to keep McCullers or Odorizzi off the Roster if there back.

But Urquidy does have value as a SP Im not sure if and I SAY IF the Cardinals need SP? and How much they Value Yepez?

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Yepez per Fangraphs is not as good as I thought or hoped.

Cards #14 prospect, their top 40 grade prospect.

Hit 50/55
    Game power 50/55
    Raw power 60/60
    Speed 40
    Field 30
    Arm 60

Developing 2 strike approach and good contact within zone but swings outside zone too often.

Improving walk rate each season.

Has played terribly in the outfield ( out of necessity) to find a place for him with Goldschmidt Pujols and Donovan on the roster

Apparently he is a DH/1B only potential player.

Compares currently to : Franmil Reyes.

Baseballtrade values has Urquidy worth 13, Yepez as 8.4 and Graceffo as 16.

Graceffo would add another 50 level prospect but, while you can never have too much pitching, he doesn't fill the need.

I still think Yepez would have a good chance to fill that hole but St.Louis would need to add another 40 level prospect to the deal like Austin Love.

#1135 IdStrosfan, Jul 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  16. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Thats what I was saying It would have to be those 2 players for Urquidy

he could swap in and out at 1B and DH if they feel comfortable with Yordan in LF

17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I agree- I wouldn’t do Yordan for Trout straight up. The difference in $/year are too much- especially when I think Yordan is the superior or hitter. I think Yordan is the best hitter in MLB.

everyday eddie likes this.
  18. awc713

awc713 Member

Who are the best relievers who may be available? Josh Hader and some of the top end guys would be great adds but obviously not attainable if they’re on contenders. I think bullpen is the only thing we end up adding to…

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Lou Trivino
    David Bednar
    Joe Jimenez
    Daniel Norris
    David Robertson
    Andrew Chafin
    Daniel Bard
    Chris Martin
    Scott Barlow
    Gregory Soto
    Joe Mantiply

It’s incredibly hard to predict which relievers Houston will go after because they are so likely to target a pitcher who isn’t obvious and isn’t already having a tremendous amount of success.

awc713 and HTown2017Champs like this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This is the wRC+ so far this season of Houston’s “everyday” lineup:

Knowing Maldonado isn’t going anywhere, it’s hard to see any place desperately needing an upgrade.

everyday eddie and Wulaw Horn like this.