1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Theoretical Durant Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sealclubber1016, Jul 1, 2022.

?

Durant trade involvement

1. Stay out of it, hold onto their picks

71 vote(s)
    80.7%
  2. Go for Bridges

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Agree with idea, but different player

10 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

bridges is worth at least a pick. maybe just the MIL pick. I wouldn't give any of the nets picks back to them. would be happy to do the MIL pick (lotto protected) with the wolves 25 SRP.

problem is if I'm BK bridges is one of the prizes of the Durant deal. I doubt they'd move him.

2. Landry's Tooth

Bridges next to Smith could potentially gives us 2 1st team nba defenders within a couple years.

Bridges is almost certainly better than any player we get with those picks.

I'd be all in...

I think if Smith is the real deal and we add Bridges, we're 1 year from a top 4 seed...

Just my opinion...

34to11 and hakeem94 like this.
  3. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think the rockets need to see what they have at 2,3,4,5 with green, Eason, Smith and senguin

Admittedly they will not all pan out so that is why you keep the picks to see who they would replace via the draft or cap space
    I love kpj but I think he is as much of a unknown as green and senguin but is in year 3 with rockets so if there was a opp to upgrade that is where I would do it right now

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i went with 'like idea - but diff player'...

Simple logic would dictate that the Nets picks are worth more to them at this point - than they should be worth to us...

The Nets have the ability to tank and ensure those picks r high value - or they could trot out a mediocre team and make them lesser value mid round picks for us...

To those ends... i think there's a deal to be struck...

I dont know the best deal this could turn into... but certainly worth discussing...

maybe it is Bridges...

but I def like the concept...

don grahamleone, ajc123 and hakeem94 like this.
  5. csc177

csc177 Member

We have a Mikal Bridges type already on our squad named Tari Eason. Let's give him a shot

ajc123, AroundTheWorld and hakeem94 like this.
  6. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Why do the Rockets need to be the one giving them the draft picks? They can find picks elsewhere to make a trade worthwhile for them.

don grahamleone and Corrosion like this.
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This dude quit on his draft team to join the team that beat them and has now expressed interest in the two #1 seeds.

Yes let's give up long term assets ro get him to our rebuilding rookie team. That makes sense

peleincubus likes this.
  8. VoR

VoR Member

We have enough forwards. Only need Cs and PGs.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Jonh Wall for Durant. Who's with me? Show of hands.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

We're not talking about trading for Durant, but rather acting as a third-team facilitator to land a nice asset like Mikal Bridges in exchange for releasing the Nets from some of their future obligations.

ajc123, xtruroyaltyx and kjayp like this.
  11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Ah well I definitely didn't read.

Sure, why not. 3+ team trades are so complex... but if we can snipe some value, always do it.

12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

As a variation of the OP's trade idea, since we're hearing a lot about Toronto, how about...

Toronto: Durant, Eric Gordon
    Houston: OG
    Nets: Scottie Barnes, Gary Trent, filler, picks from Toronto, and a partial release of future obligations to Rockets (such as giving back their 2024 pick).

upload_2022-7-1_23-24-39.png

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Id be good with bringing in Bridges, but what players are we giving up in the deal?

Perfect scenario would have been to reroute the quartet we got from Dallas+ Nwaba. In trade machine, that works for a Bridges swap. But I don't know how the rules work on trading players we just aquired.

Other option is to ship EG to the sun's along with Durant (because it'd be kind of shitty to ship him to a rebuilding Brooklyn team).

I'd imagine suns would want to move on a deal quickly though so they can build out the rest of their roster.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2cmymu7w

14. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I think we need to work with the Nets to maximize the draft picks. I think there needs to be some sort of either planned and legal way to structure it or just collude with them to have them tank. My eyes lit up with every bit of BKN drama the past year thinking we could get potential lotto picks, but the reality is no team has ever completely tanked without trying to completely tank, there needs to be some incentive for a team to do so. If not, they will stack their team with a couple of max players that dont really fit and have a similar record to the Knicks every season, because that is what they will become. Unless you somehow package these picks off for a top pick, or work with Brooklyn, I just dont see this resulting in a top 5 pick. One possible way is to maybe trade them one of the earlier picks back see what you can get from them, have them tank completely and see if it lands a top 5 pick. Then you trade them back multiple picks of their own or swaps for that top #5 player they draft. I think it just makes sense for them to work together to maximize where these picks land.

#34 BallSoHarden, Jul 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

if that’s the case hell yeah I’d want him.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think people are overrating how good those Brooklyn picks will be.

They are gonna get something large back for Durant, and they will also get something for Kyrie's dumbass. Or they could let Kyrie walk and have cap space.

I think Brooklyn will be competitive next season, and could possibly even be good the year after if they play it right. Not a contender, but enough to heavily devalue our picks.

I think the time to strike is right now and lock in a high end young talent.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Did Kelly Iko just trade 6 picks/swaps for DeAndre Ayton? o_O:confused:

Because of the caliber of player Durant is and the way he can singlehandedly shift title odds, smart money says any trade involving him might need a third — or even fourth — team. Should that be the case, the Rockets are open to being involved as a facilitator if that means receiving assets back, The Athletic understands.

Ayton to Houston? Before you go crazy, just think about it for a second.

Remember, none of this matters if Brooklyn isn’t interested in topping out. But if they are, the Rockets should be all systems go. If the Nets opt for a rebuild, they’ll obviously have interest in regaining some of the flexibility that Houston now controls. At this juncture, the Rockets haven’t been interested in returning those assets to the Nets because they’re so valuable.

At some point, the Rockets want to climb out of this rebuild. Getting Ayton, a very good young center to pair with bright young talent in Jalen Green, Kevin Porter Jr. and Jabari Smith Jr., is a pretty good start. He doesn’t clash positionally with the two pillars for them in Green and Smith. For the Alperen Şengün crowd, look, I know this doesn’t taste the best right now. Şengün had a solid rookie season and only projects to improve with added minutes and games, but there aren’t a lot of Ayton types that fall into your lap every day.

From Houston’s point of view, any move for Ayton would have to come down to whether they believed he was better than anyone they might be able to add in next summer’s free agency, where they are projected to have upwards of $70 million in cap space. Houston is a nice place to live, but do they really stand out compared to other places if a player who wants to win is choosing his next home? The answer is no; so why not go for it? Besides, the Rockets could still have enough room to add another guy in 2023 even if they brought Ayton on board.

Again, this also depends on if Houston values Ayton more than the draft capital they have now and in the future. The 2023 presumed top draft pick, Victor Wembanyama, is expected to be the talk of the season, and there are already those salivating over his potential — and for good reason. The Rockets may decide that the financial freedom and potential is greater than getting involved in the Ayton sweepstakes, but he’s too good of a player to not at least give it some thought.

The Trade
    [​IMG]

The Rockets yield their flexibility and Brooklyn’s assets but get Ayton, a good amount of cap space for the future and a star center.

don grahamleone and Shark44 like this.
  18. Joerex Jamisola

We don't need Ayton here. We need to develop Sengun, give me Ben Simmons rather than Ayton.

Sengun
    Smith
    Simmons
    Jalen Green
    KPJ

With hollins as a defensive coach then were fine and go foe the play in!

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

While I would be happy to hear the Rockets are interested in being a 3rd party.

6 picks, Gordon and Martin for Ayton.... that's just a big slippery d**k up the ass compared to the other 2 teams. Phoenix doesn't even want to pay him, if we're gonna make a proposal lets be serious.

20. maj21

maj21 Member

Sengun and Simmons sharing the court together?? I guess you don’t want Jalen & KPJ to have any space lol

jiggyfly likes this.