1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Japanese school lunches are amazing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jul 1, 2022.

1. GIGO

GIGO Member

2. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Such high carbohydrates! Give those kids another 15 to 20 years as they consume more in quantity and frequency to develop insulin resistance. Possibly stunting growth as well.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

This thread is making me crave one of those crispy burritos covered in a meat sauce you used to get in high school. Also, who can forget the taste of that burger?

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Carb intake in Japan has actually been on a significant downtrend for decades. If trends remain similar, and they get a bump in diabetes in 15-20 years, it'd be hard to blame carb intake as the main culprit here.

Some interesting things to look at on this topic

[​IMG]

Nutrition trends over the same time period in the link below
    https://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/APJCN/10/s1/Matsumura.pdf

#44 ThatBoyNick, Jul 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    TheJuice and Xerobull like this.
  5. supaflyz

supaflyz Member

I really like watching shows with people living in Japan. That guy has a creepy smile after a few videos.

Xerobull likes this.
  6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

They still eat plenty of white polished rice. When you eat carbs and sugars, particularly grains, that frequently at such high quantity you are asking life long complications.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Rice consumption particularly has been halved in the last 50 years, carbs consumption is down significantly, protein and fat is up, caloric intake is roughly the same, diabetes has increased, Japan has the longest living and healthiest population of any major country in the world

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sounds like America

Andre0087 likes this.
  10. Surfguy

I seem to recall that Jamie Oliver tried to revolutionize the US school system with healthy lunches and it failed miserably because American kids prefer to eat crap food versus healthy food. I think what happened is kids were skipping lunches and hitting up vending machines. Or, just not eating school-made lunches. It's a damn shame. I don't recall there ever being a healthy option when I was in school...unless you count a piece of fruit that you could opt for with your unhealthy lunch. Those cafeteria workers aren't chefs. They are processed food preparers. I'm sure that is part of the problem.

11. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

I actually remember celebrating with my friends on the last day of high school because we would never have to eat a brown paper bag lunch again. I brought my own lunch most of the time (until I got my license and could leave school) and having a sandwich that isn't refrigerated without access to free condiments or something like a microwave meant that no matter what I made, it always tasted like ****. When I bring lunch to work I never have the issues I had in high school because I can stick it in the fridge, add mayo or fresh spring mix before I eat it, nuke it to make it hot etc.

12. Surfguy

Ah...the good old work refrigerator. There was always someone taking someone else's refrigerated food and eating it. Hard to believe working people resort to that kind of behavior. But, it happened semi-frequently.

TheJuice likes this.
  13. PhiSlammaJamma

Tough sell, but think if they can make the healthy food tasty, which they can do, kids will eat it. Mainly because they will be forced to eat it. But it can taste good if you have it made Tom Brady style.

Andre0087 likes this.
  14. Surfguy

Forced to throw a lot of food away...is the reality. Food is defined by culture as we all know. Unfortunately, American culture is mostly about processed foods. Trying to force students to eat healthy just results in a lot of wasted food. I think most kids hear the word "healthy" and give the barf signal. But, how kids eat is really defined by the parents and what they stock at home. It starts at home.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

In America, it's the 20/80 rule across the population, pretty much. Twenty percent of the population really do most of the work and 80% ride the coattails. Or so I've been told and seen in places I've worked. Although I've heard things are changing in Japan nowadays, too, but I don't know. I've had to work with Japanese offshore workers, management, and C-suite people who busted their butts and were a joy to work with. I have to admit that I was a bit of a workaholic, and those people even scared the hell out of me with their work ethic sometimes. This is in contrast to 80% of the yahoos I worked with in our offices here.

I admire what I think I know of Japanese society, but some of it scares me, too. Just like here, I don't know if it's that way across the board, though. Still, my regret while working for 2 companies with strong Japanese ties is I turned down opportunities to go to Japan. But then I have always had this romantic view of Japan being somewhat of how I think society should be - maybe I don't want to have that ideal view ruined. :D

Xerobull likes this.
  16. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

It's a complex country for sure. A lot of issues with workaholism, racism/misogyny and a very rigid approach to everything. But every country has its issues.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I had no idea, wow!

https://interacnetwork.com/fax-mach... households in Japan still have fax machines!

18. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I would still **** that up, those pizzas were better than a lot of frozen pizzas today.

I forgot about the corn the cooks knew how to season the corn just right.

I did not get free lunch and did not have a lot of money, dem tickets on pizza lunch day were like crack everybody was trying to get them.

If you were cool with the lunch ladies they would give the extra ones.

Memories!

[​IMG]

Surfguy likes this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’ve heard even the food in their version of a 7/11 hits