1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 NBA Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 20, 2022.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

This is an absurd amount to trade for Gobert. This is almost what we got for Harden, arguably more. We got three unprotected picks and three swaps. Utah is getting three unprotected picks, a top 5 protected pick, and a swap. If this were a superstar I could understand, but so many unprotected picks for a player that only impacts one side of the court?

Milos, ashleyem, TheJuice and 6 others like this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Guess we just disagree.

Hope the Rockets get a vet PG and C, personally. We'll see what they do.

3. what

what Member

The nba is a team game, not an individual sport.
    I am just pointing out this fact. Isolate one player on the defense saying he’s the problem is asinine as you probably well know.

But like I said, at no point in goberts career has he ever been a problem or been exposed on defense.

also the wolves were 13 in defense rating last year without gobert.

He has been a former defensive player of the year, but I guess that doesn’t matter cause I am moving the goal posts again.

also no team plays individual one on one defense, lol.
    Even Steph Curry needs Draymond Green to set picks, right? Or I guess picks doesn’t matter to the offense. Steph just shoots threes.
    And steph doesn’t need passing, either, but now of course I’m making a strawman argument I suppose so that’s null and void.
    Just like you don’t play 1 on 5 in basketball, you don’t play five on one on defense either.
    Defense more than anything else requires everybody to be playing defense, but like I said at no point was Rudy Gobert ever a liability on defense, to think that is asinine.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. what

what Member

Just to clarify I’m not necessarily arguing that the Timberwolves didn’t overspend: they probably paid too much, but acting like this was a bad deal because gobert is a liability at his one skill defense and that it won’t improve the twolves is equally dumb. It will.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I expect that out of Mitchell not a wannabe Capela

hakeem94, TheJuice and MrButtocks like this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

All the time used to craft your posts and you're still missing the point. It's not that Gobert is paid too much, individually, but that being paid that much means the team has less breathing room with which to shore up other areas of need. And even with the arrival of Gobert, Minny still doesn't look like a top 4 seed in the WC.

I don't fault anyone who gets the bag, as I would also try to seek as much money as I can. The problem with trading for Gobert is that you basically have to go to war with him now - there's no room for error or adding good free agents, since Minny is basically capped out. There's no draft capital or leverage with which to use to trade for other pieces or, really, gain depth.

I'll say it again - a core of Edwards/Gobert/KAT + 9 warm bodies better seriously contend for the title, or else the Gobert trade will have been an epic disaster.

Finally, basketball is a team game, for sure. But a professional team is comprised of highly skilled individuals - individuals that will hunt for optimal matchups and distort your defense.

What's Gobert going to do when he gets switched onto Klay and now has to leave the paint just to stick to Klay for the possession? What's Gobert going to do when he gets switched onto McCollum and Zion is in the paint?

Hell, you're a Memphis fan. What's Gobert going to do when he gets switched onto Bane at the 3 point line and Ja has the ball, ready to drive in? Gobert either leaves Bane open for 3 while he contests Morant, or he sticks to Bane and hope his other 4 teammates can stop a Ja drive.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

#408 i3artow i3aller, Jul 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    hakeem94 likes this.
  9. i3artow i3aller

10. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

Pretty nice pick-up for them to round out their roster after losing Payton II and Porter Jr. He looked pretty promising in Milwaukee and Golden State usually finds the best way to deploy players.

hakeem94 and Mkieke like this.
  11. what

what Member

let me ask you this, didn’t the jazz have the number 1 seed in the playoffs a few years ago?
    so to put that into context, that same team that was the number 1 seed just traded away a significant piece of that team, who is still in his prime, for draft compensation that may or may not pan out, instead of adding a piece in free agency — my point is that the jazz BETTER improve with this, oh this was a monumental bone headed move on their part.
    Gobert is a top 5 center in the league. And probably the number 1 defense rated player in the league and yes of course they want to win it all and they may have a chance.
    And if the NBA was all about shooting three pointers then the Rockets would’ve won a championship but oops. Lol

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

DiVicenzo thinks he's better than he really is and had a pretty bad attitude on the Kings. That won't fly with Kerr/Warriors. Not a bad signing at that price though.

UTSA2step and BigShasta like this.
  13. Ariza_Brooks

Ariza_Brooks Member

I don't post much here but I would love Jalen Smith as a FA pickup.

Not too sure how he fits with Sengun, but has shown alot of promise when he gets consistent playing time.

Can step out and hit 3's, averaged 13 and 8 when he got traded to the Pacers.

I think Phoenix wishes they accepted that team option tbh.

hakeem94 and UTSA2step like this.
  14. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

someone else will completely destroy your post so i won't say much.
    the recent past champions have mostly all been top 5 in nba 3 pt shooting in their respective seasons. warriors, cavs, bucks were all top 3 pt shooting teams. also gtfo here if you're going to talk **** on rockets when we all know if it weren't for adam silver, scott foster, and tony brothers - then even with cp3 injured rockets would've had at least one ring.

and no, jazz did not make a monumental mistake - only an absolute buffoon would think so. they got an unbelievable haul of draft picks from an organization that has always been unstable and that minny team now has $100M+ committed to two bigs who are chicken dinner in the playoffs, and because they already have their 2 supermax players, they can't even offer a supermax to anthony edwards when his time comes up. danny ainge again showed why you probably shouldn't trade with him.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Jazz being the #1 seed has nothing to do with anything. If Gobert was really that good, they would at least make it to 1 WCF in his time there. The problem lies with either Mitchell or Gobert. And since you can't add any solid pieces around either of them due to Gobert's massive contract, cutting bait on Gobert and reloading with just Mitchell was the best way to approach this.

The Jazz couldn't add a solid piece in free agency because they decided to pay Gobert 40M / season! That's literally what I've been saying this entire time. I think I'm talking to a brick wall or something.

Again, for like the 10th time, the Timberwolves are going to run into the same problem as the Jazz - they're using their money on two guys essentially, with Edwards soon to command a similar amount of money, with the way he's playing. KAT is a complete liability on defense while Gobert is a complete liability on offense.

TheJuice likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. i3artow i3aller

18. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

I'm tired of the Lakers conversation too. This is the "conversation":

"Kyrie to the Lakers makes so much sense!"
    "How do the Lakers get Kyrie?"
    "But he's such a good fit!"
    "Do they have anything the Nets would want?"
    "He's a MUCH better shooter than Westbrook..."

hakeem94 and JumpMan like this.
  19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

20. what

what Member

Now you are arguing salary cap — and once again, if there is one constant is that the salary can and will go up.

But the other point I want to make is that the jazz gave up a top 5 center in the league (arguably, if you want to say that) at least a guy that helped the jazz get to a number one seed in the west, for MAYBES.
    I don’t care if those picks all turn to top 10 picks in the draft, they could still be left with nothing but a lot of years out of the playoffs and may I also remind you that the Celtics STILL haven’t won a thing, even with all of those picks, even with Kyrie Irving on the team, even with two top five picks in the draft from that trade and I am sure countless other high picks, guess what they still haven’t won a championship.

and they (meaning the jazz) were just a few years ago the number 1 seed: if I am a jazz fan, I am not happy about ainge gutting the team. ainge is no better than morey who gutted the rockets in reverse.

show me how many teams have won a championship by gutting the team and starting over— I can name many teams that traded for a player that helped them win one.

you may not like gobert’s game and all you are interested in is offense and 3 point shooting and that is fine, but gobert is a great player who has made the twolves a better team. They gave up a lot in picks, but they have gotten value in return. So we will see what happens

hakeem94 likes this.