1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

From Houston, did you enjoy going south to Galveston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by houstontexans, Apr 29, 2018.

?

Did you enjoy Galveston?

1. Yes

74.5%
  2. No

25.5%
  3. Have not touched there yet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Bring your raincoat Saturday

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Just booked the Galvestonion for the week after the 4th. First time back since 2019. Really looking forward to it!

Xerobull and marks0223 like this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes. I liked the bridges. And Galveston had a bit of a poor man's Key West feel. Beach and sea were dirty and crap though.

tinman likes this.
  4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The beach and water has been beautiful the last few weeks. I hope yall enjoy it this weekend.

ima_drummer2k and Xerobull like this.
  5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I did enjoy it and the ride south from Clear Lake. Yes. We used to take my green Volkswagen van down there to go surfing.

I can't say I enjoyed riding north back to Clear Lake, though. This is because, after surfing, we would stop at that one McDonald's drive-thru near the sea wall (61st street?). And, inevitably, friends would be cutting McDonald's farts on the ride home after eating. I assume you'll are familiar with the foulness of McDonald's farts? lol

ima_drummer2k and Xerobull like this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Memories, brah. We did the same exact thing in my Orange 1967 VW Squareback. No AC so the windows were down anyway, mitigated the stank for the most part.

Dawn patrol, sunburns, hot girls that we were too shy/insecure to talk to (even though in retrospect it would have been an easy win), being insanely hungry where even junk food was the best ever... Good times.

[​IMG]

(Mine had a roof rack)

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

We just got back. We rented a house in Beach Town on the East side. The beaches there are pretty empty so we often had whole chunks of beach to ourselves. We had a blast.

Also went to Gaido's for a late lunch one day and destroyed the Red Snapper with a beurre blanc.

AroundTheWorld and ima_drummer2k like this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I just like the pier fishing

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Every time I see this thread, it just reminds me I need to go back down to the Seabrook area to hit up Rose's and some other shops just for old times' sake.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

East side is the best kept secret on the island.

I used to swear by the West side (which I still love), but you're right....it's SO peaceful and quiet on the East side. We've been converted over the last few years.

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

Vargus Cut and Catch, same owner as Rudy and Pacos, might be my favorite restaurant in the Houston area.

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

I cooked 30 pounds of blue crab the other day from coastal seafood, next to Roses. **** was great.

Buck Turgidson and Dr of Dunk like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

I am so ****ing jealous

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Is that new? I've never heard of it. But then I haven't been down there since the late 80's or early 90s. lol. I used to go to Rose's and Emery's back in the 80's with my parents. I was thinking about taking a cooler down there and hauling some fish back. Maybe stop off at a restaurant nearby for a bite while I'm there (sorry, Tilman, but probably not Landry's).

15. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Yes, I enjoyed it OP. If you aren't expecting like a world class city or anything, it's a nice town.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I remember the brown custom Ram van we drove in, the brown water, and the brown concrete picnic sheds that looked like the Prudential logo.

SamFisher likes this.
  17. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Just visited Galveston on Sunday. Had a great time.

A lot of fun activities there.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Heck, that's what I was wondering! In the 1950's Stewart Beach was big and beautiful, at least to my eyes, and Broadway was lined with huge houses, most long gone. There was an old, tall Black gentleman who sold the best tamales I've ever had out of a cart at a street corner on Broadway. I don't know how my Dad discovered him, but we'd always buy 3 dozen when we went down there, before we headed home, and eat a dozen on the way back.

I love Galveston still. Yes, businessmen like Fertitta have screwed it up as much as they can, but the island hangs in there. I have lots of good memories associated with it and the Bay. Still go there from time to time when I'm in Houston visiting friends and relatives.

SamFisher and Xerobull like this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But you are supporting the Rockets cause Tilman owns half the restaurants

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

I meant Golden Seafood. Coastal seafood is a restaurant in Galveston.

Roses runs out of crabs fast, and that’s usually the reason I go to the markets.

The exit ramp going south is out so come from the Kemah side or take Todville. It’s a mess