1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Theoretical Durant Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sealclubber1016, Jul 1, 2022.

?

Durant trade involvement

1. Stay out of it, hold onto their picks

71 vote(s)
    80.7%
  2. Go for Bridges

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Agree with idea, but different player

10 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

While I think it would be absurd to trade for Durant directly, I think this could be a good chance to leverage the Nets picks and get involved as a 3rd team. Those picks have more value to Brooklyn who can guarantee they are high. I think without incentive to tank, the Nets will find a way to field a competitive roster and we're more than likely gonna end up with a middling pick similar to last season, maybe a little higher.

So since Phoenix seems to be the snakes preferred destination, what would you say to giving Brooklyns 24 pick back and dropping the 25 pick swap for Mikal Bridges. That's obviously just a general idea, not a final package

We theoretically could have some leverage, because unlike the team Durant is going to, the picks we could offer them back are far, far better than the likely to be contending picks from his new team.

don grahamleone, hakeem94 and RHU525 like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

I like Mikal Bridges but would be more inclined to go after him if this team was near playoff/contender level. That's his value at his highest on a playoff team. On a mediocre/bad team his value is pretty limited. He's about to be 26 so his age like wood etc doesn't fit this timeline. Maybe if this were applicable to a younger player with plenty of potential I'd more be open to it. If Bridges was like 4-5 years younger for example since were using his name

Having these picks with the Nets imploding and in the Rockets back pocket for potential use down the road is incredibly too valuable

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely not. We need to stay out of it. Those picks are gold down the road...whether we're picking or trading. Just forget about dealing them now.

Our Rockets are perfectly positioned on their timeline.

4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I like Bridges a lot. It’d be very tempting. A KPJ / Green / Bridges / Smith / Sengun lineup would be quite interesting and versatile.

5. TheSource

TheSource Member

Bridges ? Must’ve not heard the news

Jontro likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Folks are talking about Mikal from the Suns. Not Miles from the hornets

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

let's hope it stays theoretical

8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

What a random trade idea

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

keep those picks in case a player much better becomes available in trade

10. Houston77

Supporting Member

I think you’re thinking of the other Bridges, haha.

11. TheSource

TheSource Member

Ahhh that makes sense oops :D

Jontro and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I like the basic framework of giving Nets their draft equity back, KD going to third team, and Houston getting young future star back ONLY if it is a player still on a rookie deal. I still want to preserve cap space for next season because I feel like the best path to rocketing into contention would be to have multiple players contributing at all star levels while still on their rookie deals so that Houston has cap space to sign several properly paid all stars. I've been saying for a while that if I were a Nets fan I'd have no stomach for another rebuild without draft equity, I'd do what I could to get those back. Admittedly, I think I'm in the minority here and find this very unlikely.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Scottie Barnes and they can have all of their picks back

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I do think there are some benefits to trading the '24 Nets pick while everyone is thinking it has so much value. The last time this happened to the Nets the team just fizzled out with some old vets and became terrible. What's different here is the Nets will be getting assets back for KD/Kyrie and already got some back for Harden. They won't be terrible, they'll be mediocre.

So, I'm actually thinking of the '24 pick and '23 swap as similar to what we got from them this year, probably pick 14-19, just outside or on the fringes of the lotto. They'll be like those old Scola rockets teams, full of pretty good role players.

The big problem I see with the Bridges deal is that he's largely a finished project. And, more importantly, he's just good enough to push us out of the Wemby sweepstakes. So, getting him compromises our '23 pick, Nets '23 swap, and Nets '24 pick.

I think I would consider it. But, I would lean towards no mainly because it impacts 2023 as well.

16. Houston77

Supporting Member

I’d be down.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t think the sixers have tradeable frp picks because of the Stepien rule. I’m no expert though.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Bridges will be a max player in 2 years. That’s the only reason that bringing him here is tough. If it only cost a pick swap and pick I might be down.

Mathloom and r-fan-since-81 like this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

considering he just signed a 4 year extension for $90 mil he won't be. And he won't be signing his first ever max deal at 30 years old. He's being paid right where he should be for the player he is

REEKO_HTOWN, hakeem94 and jiggyfly like this.
  20. T for 3

T for 3 Member

No need to get out of asset accumulation mode at this point. Its too early to go after a guy like Bridges.