1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's Talk About James Harden, Clutchfans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

James Harden:

- Gave up between $100m and $200m to finally be back in a winning situation/culture and with owners willing to spend like a champion BEFORE winning a title.

- He was right that HOU was not a winning situation. He even admitted that his own friend (Westbrook) was not the answer. It was clear, the owner had f*cked up by bargain hunting during what should have been a title year.

- He was right that BKN was not a winning situation, even though he was also part of the problem. He knew he had ****ed up with his fitness, but still brought above average defense, offense and practically led the league in assists whenever he wanted. He knew he could lose weight and get in shape, but Kyrie was not going to become more passionate about basketball. Harden is an advanced stats master.

- Caused the Nets to disintegrate, the front office had no belief in this team even with Ben Simmons replacing him. Unintentionally, he's made our BKN assets amazing.

This sounds like a guy who - after the Westbrook trial - just knew he could not accept conditional excuses from GM's anymore. Even now, he gave up the contract money while spending significantly on PR to put the Sixers on the clock about SPENDING the money that he is creating for them (the discount he's taking unlocks the NTMLE and BAE, but from experience with Houston having those things doesn't mean the owner will approve using them). He is ensuring the money he's not getting paid is going to acquiring winners. He has made sure everyone knows that the Sixers can and should spend all that money. That's the lesson he learned from f*cking Tilman.

I can acknowledge that he took a risk with WB and it didn't pan out. I can acknowledge that there's a game here or there that he should've shown up for, just like every franchise player who doesn't go on to win the title. Just like Lebron James or kevin Durant when there's not another MVP calibre player (or two) on the floor with them.

But the BS on this board about him not caring about winning, being selfish, being a chucker, never being able to grow mentally.... that's all BS. This guy has shown character and the national media is talking about it, even though he's not in NY or Cali.

Give the man his flowers and give him a chance this season. His only crime was that he wasn't good enough to win it all without a co-star as good as him. He has that now, and I'll be rooting for him to get that title so that stars can see the value in giving up a few dollars now for a lot of legacy later. I wish he had learned that lesson sooner, but I'm happy he eventually got there.

He has 2 years before our dynasty is in full blast. Good luck to the second best player in Rockets franchise history, a record that Jabari and/or Jalen will likely take down.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He's setting the 76ers up. He's getting PJ back for his comments, he's getting House back for abandoning the team during the playoffs, he's getting Morey back for leaving him in Houston... and he'll actually be signing with the Rockets on a very team friendly deal after filling the roster with bad contracts.

If I'm wrong, who cares.

3. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

How did you come up with the $100-$200M discount? I saw he opted out of his $47M player option, but I didnt see any details around what his contract would look like. What type of flexibility are they really expecting that to add? I think hes up for a 5/$250M deal similar to Beal, but $200M discount would mean hes signing for 1/5th that? I dont think hes going to take that big of a discount, I think the story on him declining the option being for flexibility is true, but it is likely some PR spin as well. Usually when a player of this caliber does something like this there is not more than a 10% discount, and it is made up somehow in later years of their career. If this is a big discount Harden will be sitting on that Sixers bench longer than Haslem until his beard is fully gray collecting checks. I don't think they win it alll unfortunately. I can not see him taking a $200M discount to take a chance on glass Embiid, an awful coach in Rivers, and a bunch of washed up ex Rockets. If you are willing to take that big of a discount you go to maybe the Bucks, Celtics, Heat, Warriors for that type of money.

#3 BallSoHarden, Jul 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  4. raspar

raspar Member

I saw Blames running up a hill in a video. I can only assume there was a stripper with a Hardee’s burger up there.

5. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

He definitely has learned the Tillman lesson. I hope he has learned the Westbrook lesson that he is a crappy GM. If so, and he wins a ring with Philly, good for him. The Rockets are in good position with an exciting future.

Holding onto EITHER any animosity OR nostalgia is just a waste of mental energy.

Dacamel likes this.
  6. maj21

maj21 Member

Who tf cares about James Harden?!?!

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I see no reason to talk about James Harden at all, he's got nothing to do with the Rockets.

He was toxic garbage here so when he destroyed the team here we bet on him screwing over his teammates in Brooklyn and we were right and we'll reap the benefits from him being a POS. That's his only relationship to the Rockets.

#7 Bobbythegreat, Jul 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

That discount means nothing to me. He will make money through endorsements and other avenues. At the end of the day Harden still has to mature his game in areas he still ignores (like leadership) and develop a mindset to do the uncomfortable things on the basketball court during the crucial moments of playoff games to ultimately succeed. That has to be consistent. Even if he loses or fails we should be saying man... Harden did everything he could and left it all on the floor... blood, sweat and tears!

Nobody can say that because he's simply not giving the game of playoff basketball that so until he does it then I'll say he really cares deeply about winning a championship.

Dobbizzle and Rocket River like this.
  10. PatBev

PatBev Member

We have KPJ/green/Jabari/sengun now so I honestly couldn’t care less. I don’t think I’ve been truly this excited to watch a team grow

zeeshan2, coachbadlee, maj21 and 9 others like this.
  11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Not much to talk about harden until he wins a ring or attempts to return. All this praising harden stuff is just gonna rile up the anti harden folks, quite unnecessary

Madmanmetz likes this.
  12. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

can't we just move on?

13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Let's talk about the future instead. Harden was an all time great Rocket, but the past is the past.

14. VoR

VoR Member

Let's see if we can lure Dominique Wilkins out of retirement.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

His max went down by $50m IIRC by not staying with Houston. If he was Bradley Beal minded (i.e. doesn't give a F about winning) then he could have just been fine with losing, not bothered giving it his 100% and keep re-signing. Why fight to get Westbrook? Why fight to dump him when he's bad? Why force your way out of Brooklyn when you can just get in shape and lose while $40m Kyrie sits on the sidelines watching Harden get injured?

In Philly, he's going to sign a contract exactly the amount that will allow them to keep the NTMLE and BAE.

I've seen it estimated in the range I stated, happy to be corrected. Had he taken the Beal route, I think his current and future earnings would all be at insane numbers. That's the standard star these days: money first. Harden is a unique rare case these days. The other day Matt Barnes was on ESPN telling players to never ever give up money. That's why he was a role player.

BallSoHarden, HP3 and Jontro like this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know what this thread needs

Severo with Harden avatar pic .jpg

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Glad he’s gone

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Trying to stir up the village idiots eh?

SMDH. His ex baby mamas about to take over this thread.

Downtown Sniper and HP3 like this.
  19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I love the state the Rockets are in without fat man

Rockets Rule and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Too much energy spent dwelling in the past and defending opinions. We're building something great here lets focus on the future!

[​IMG]