1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It would hurt big time.

Probably something like:

Luis Garcia, Hunter Brown, Jake Meyers, Colin Barber, Emanuel Valdez, and Jimmy Endersby

Nook likes this.
  2. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

That's a good amount to give up for Bednar/Reynolds package.

I really do like Reynolds. Bednar is nice to have but left hand reliever is a bit more important for matchups in the playoffs. Going after Hand or Chafin is a better play

3. Nook

Nook Member

I’m obviously not a GM or an expert, but people willing to deal Christian Javier are crazy.

He turned 25 years ago a few months ago, he has an elite K rate, his walk rate continues to go down… he usually is the type of pitcher to out perform his FIP and that is 2.70… he has shown he can dominate and against elite line ups.

He long term has other pitches he will likely add to his arsenal. He looks like he is close to really putting it all together and is a hard worker.

You try to extend that type of guy, and not deal him.

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Agree... After Tucker he would be next on my list to extend.

cmoak1982, cbass, luckyman76 and 3 others like this.
  5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I don't dispute any of this.

However, if you want to trade for a player who will improve part of your team you must give up someone of value.

The rotation is where the team can afford to take the hit.

Verlander, Framber, and McCullers are not under consideration.

Odorizzi is a rental who simply won't bring back an impact player for 2022.

That leaves Javier, Garcia, and Urquidy if you don't want to give up Hunter Brown.

I have read various posts suggesting each of them. Urquidy is a step below the other 2. Garcia has 1 more year of control than the other 2. I do not see the team getting an impact player who improves the team without one of them gone on the deal.

My preference would be Urquidy but it's very realistic that a team will hold out for one of the other 2.

Nook likes this.
  6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think my extension wish list:

1) Tucker
    2) Framber
    3) Javier
    4) Verlander
    5) Pena
    6) L. Garcia
    7) Altuve
    8) Bregman
    9) Montero
    10) Stanek

7. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Honestly if you can pull Blake Snell. And Nab two of those great prospects they got like.
    Snell, Hassell and Campusano for a Package of McCormick and Alex Santos your getting a really good deal over all.

Then you could really be looking at a Benintendi trade or maybe Trry Mancini. Some one of that caliber. I think CF would be a to high of a price tag to aim for.

Imagine Yuli moved to the Bench and you payed for Mancini or Bell and nabbed a Reliaf PItcher this team would again be really stacked

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Framber will be 32 the November he hits free agency and limit the length of the deal he would get. Javier will be 28 and turning 29 in March of the offseason he is a free agent. That is why I have him above Framber. Get it done and lock up Javier's prime. We largely control Framber's prime already.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Javier hasn't moved between starting and relieving because he's too bad to stay in the rotation. He's switched because he's versatile and done what the team needed.

1. Verlander 186

2. Valdez 142

3. Javier 139

4. Odorizzi 122

5. Garcia 103

6. Urquidy 87

7. McCullers Experienced

8. Brown Ready

9. Whitley Potential finally showing

I'm glad Management has more faith in our depth than most fans.

Snell is at best a PROJECT and more likely a way to acquire a prospect or two for a cash dump.

Nook likes this.
  10. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Hassell and Campusano are top 50 prospects. San Diego is not giving them up to salary dump Snell. McCormick and Santos would not even get close to moving that needle. The type of prospect you could expect back would be a interesting lottery ticket like maybe Victor Acosta, that is all

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Upgrades

Trout in CF

move Meyers to LF if Brantley moves on in 23

Goldscmidt on 1B

Kirk at C

1. R Altuve 2B
    2. R Goldschmidt 1B
    3. L Alvarez DH
    4. R Trout CF
    5. L Tucker RF
    6. R Bregman 3B
    7. R Kirk C
    8. R Pena SS
    9. R Meyers LF

Bench
    Gurriel IF, Maldanado C(Player/coach), Dubon IF/OF, Brantley OF

Realistic? No way

2023 Maldonado becomes Player/Manager. Dusty retires with his WS win.

#1051 Marshall Bryant, Jul 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Bednar having back issues and is struggling

13. the shark

the shark Member

I agree Nook. There is NO way I'm trading Javier for anyone. The kid is young and he's got lethal stuff and more importantly he's gaining confidence.

Nook, Madmanmetz and raining threes like this.
  14. The Beard

The hardest thing to find is a true Ace, I’ve been saying all along Javier should go nowhere for anyone

crose, Nook and raining threes like this.
  15. The Beard

I personally would not trade away any of our current MLB starters. But, if click and the front office believe in Hunter Brown the way they did Jeremy Peña, I could see them moving a Garcia or Urquidy in a deal if the deal were bringing back a Reynolds type of player and calling up Brown

I’ll add that when I say I wouldn’t trade any of our mlb starters I’m not including Odorizzi and his 4 great starts

16. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Depending on the play I think everything is on the Table.

Bringing back players of age is a concern to me. Yuli needs to go to the Bench or be Traded and not resigned. Sorry fan Favorites get Teams into big trouble.

signing said players to dumb deals.

Odorizzi Urquidy Yuli Castro McCormick are all waste of space besides the 1st 2. They hold the most value with control along with McCormick.

adding is the key to any deal. what we can get and how we can get it.

Blake Snell would be a great addition but as I said I wouldn't take him unless they give me a prospect or two and every team in the MLB knows they need that Cap Space. So there going to have to pay a premium to dump those contracts.

As I said before Campusano was listed as a trade piece when they had Hosmer and Myers on the Block. And no one I mean no one bit.

So I would think they would be a little more egger to move a player now a days they now they need to add more and make it appealing to another team to get Said Contracts off there books.

This is why I believe we are good trade Partners for Snell and Campusano plus another Peace of the pie Prospect like Harrell whom makes perfect since for the Astros.

JS this would make Urquidy and Odorizzi wide open for trades to get the batting help we need and Castro off the Roster. Even though Campusano isnt batting aswell at the moment let him get some time and learn from Maldy.

You could easily add someone of worth for Urquidy with his years of control. He would be a great Center piece in a trade for Benintendi or Mancini or even Bell. All of whom are FA next year so there price isnt as high. Which means we could add another BP arm in said trade

17. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

And whats to say about McCullers starting in the Bull Pen and Working his way in the Starting Rotation so he is not rushed back so soon

18. CinematicFusion

8 teams are still battling for the 3 wildcard spots in the AL. Angels,Mariners, Whitesox being 4.5 games out.
    I wonder what that does for the trade market?

19. Nook

Nook Member

I would be willing to trade away Urquidy for something that is going to be useful long term. He is a solid 4 starter however, the Astros have others that will need time in the rotation and the Astros do have some needs.

I would trade him for a high end reliever that has multiple years of control left. That is a position the Astros always are in need of addressing.

raining threes likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

I expect this to make it a sellers market, and the cost of trade will go up.