1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Golf] The PGA vs LIV - Round 1 - fight!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaDakota, Jun 7, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Because they are suspending players that have EARNED their PGA card, through the criteria they set up, they don't WORK FOR the PGA they are individual contractors.

They aren't required to play in every tournament - and the PGA is illegally tossing them out, when they don't work for them and have earned the right to play whatever PGA event keeps them eligible.

DD

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

By agreeing to be part of the tour they agree not to work with rival companies.

3. DaDakota

You watch how quickly that goes away...in court - most majors are not PGA.....yet players play in those.....why aren't they suspending those players playing in the Masters, or the British Open, or the US Open....you can't let them play in those tournaments and then all of the sudden call these off limits...the PGA is ****ed.

DD

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Because the contracts explicitly allow them.

5. DaDakota

Contracts will not hold up, if they are a violation of a person's right to work, and there is no compensation tied to those contracts.....they will be unenforceable.

DD

6. DaDakota

Watching these NOBS on NBC at the US Open and b****ing about LIV is hilarious. They have no right to question these players and their decisions on taking LIFE changing money to play elsewhere.

These players are INDIVIDUAL contractors, none of these pundits were practicing to get that good, none of them were missing their families while they slogged through some real ******** small tournaments just to keep their PGA eligibility.

I mean this is simply the AMERICAN way, they got a BETTER JOB OFFER and took it.....

What is really happening is that it is upsetting the apple cart and the pundits are worried about their own jobs.

This will shake up golf and it should....it needs it. Blaming the players for taking a pay raise.....when every single one of them would probably take it too..is ridiculous.

It is the players choice - they are the ones who worked on their own games at their own expense to get where they are that marketable.

The PGA - has ridden their backs......and taken a cut......Now I am not fan of the Saudi Prince, but I do respect the players for taking the guaranteed money.....that is just smart.

DD

7. PhiSlammaJamma

This won't be like the USFL, who actually won their case and still got squashed. The PGA can't squash the LIV Tournament, and there will be no jury to protect it. They are only containing it right now. They will need to pony up the money to regain leverage. The history of the game is not strong enough to defend against what is happening.

Tiger's best position, honestly, rather to power play this, is to get the PGA tour to money up. His legacy has the most to lose. If the majors lose traction all of his accomplishments fade over time. But if everything is equal, and that includes the money, the PGA will win.

8. DaDakota

The PGA has nothing they literally are just event organizers...they don't pay players to be in the PGA, or show up, they are just administrators....there is no loyalty to administrators.

They overplayed their hand.

DD

9. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Not understanding your theory here DD....

It would be different if they were not warned or told what would happen way in advance... This was not a force you out thing it was a decision on the part of the players... They made a decision to move on and they understood the rules....

The players that left were on the down slope of their career and I don't blame them for leaving with all the money that is being given to them.... Rickie Fowler just started making a a few cuts, Brooks and DeChambeau have struggle greatly along with DJ.. The LIV is actually getting guys because of their reputation and not due to their play.

The problem going forward is with these guys being able to play in the Major Tournaments because as of right now the LIV does not have World Ranking Points... So this basically makes the LIV a big Exhibition thing and without the points those guys want be eligible for those tournaments.

T_Man

10. DaDakota

The point was that the PGA takes too much money for administration away from the players purses, and that the PLAYERS are the PGA, not the administrators.

And if LIV is offering more money - players as individual contractors have every right to play in that league and the PGA, the PGA, has no ability to ban if players have qualified under their rules, this will be decided in court.....you can't set up rules, and ignore them because someone wants to compete.

The PGA is not a business that pays employees - non-competes need compensation attached to them to be enforceable, the PGA ban will be unenforceable

DD

11. DaDakota

What a bunch of horse ****, they want golf for everyone when Golf was an exclusive sport for more than 50 years - it was an upper class only sport......say, I want to play Augusta, can I? I mean come on.....golf has always been about exclusion.

I mean they don't like LIV because it is simply more money - and it is taking away their monopoly.

I like shake ups, that put more power in the players hands.......

DD

#31 DaDakota, Jul 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  12. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I also like the shake up.

I'm hoping competing tours might force golf to take a less "elitist" attitude about itself. I mean, both tours really need a Happy Gilmore type guy to rile things up.

DaDakota likes this.
  13. DaDakota

John Daly? Bubba Watson??

DD

boomboom likes this.
  14. boomboom

Supporting Member

Good calls. Using those two examples...look at the droves of people that were attracted to their play. People like seeing the super players...but they also love seeing the "regular guy" out there competing.

DaDakota likes this.
  15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Still not understanding you.... The PGA would be like a fraternity or any other organization.... Which means that they have the right to suspend you.... Even if you wanted to make it like a corporation, most states are right to work and employer can let you go for any reason....

With that said... It's about the money and they players that left have a right to go play there, but at the same time the PGA has the right to say if you go play there you can't play here.... It was a choice that was made and everyone should move on....

T_Man

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

LIV is nothing more than a well paid exhibition. They only play 54 holes and there's no cut. Like Tiger said, what's the reason for wanting to improve? You're already guaranteed money...and lots of it. They just have to show up to get paid. At the bare minimum, in the PGA, you have to compete and make the cut to even collect a check. LIV is nothing more than the Big3 league.

The players absolutely have the right to go. But they can't turn around and whine and bit*h about the consequences when they were laid out for them all along.

Slyonebluejay and T_Man like this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

LIV is handing out super maxes like Halloween candy.

T_Man likes this.
  18. boomboom

Supporting Member

Slightly (maybe totally) unrelated...but Sergio Garcia is a Grade A douchebag.

That is all.

T_Man likes this.
  19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Not at all unrelated and totally spot on. I've never liked him. I don't pick a favorite in individual sports. But I do have some I hope don't win and he's one of them.

One question I have for those that are supportive of this LIV tour, primarily @DaDakota ...Are you cool with the quite obvious sports-washing being done by the Saudi's?

boomboom likes this.
  20. DaDakota

Lots of sports have dirty money.

DD